Sgp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgp

Is there a formula for OBP? It's a mixed league, so either league is fine. It is a new stat this year so we have no previous history.

Also in Gerald Holmes column he lists 3 pitchers with varying IP. Obviously the more IP the better for the team, but why is Pitcher A with a ERA SGP of 3.69 better than B with 2.77?

I thought the lower the ERA to gain a point the better.

Thanks for the formula and clarification.
    Head Stooge

SGP, OBP, and Gerald Holmes

Originally posted by grseverson
    Is there a formula for OBP? It's a mixed league, so either league is fine. It is a new stat this year so we have no previous history.

Also in Gerald Holmes column he lists 3 pitchers with varying IP. Obviously the more IP the better for the team, but why is Pitcher A with a ERA SGP of 3.69 better than B with 2.77?

I thought the lower the ERA to gain a point the better.

Thanks for the formula and clarification.
    grseverson ,

I think you may be referring to my column from last Friday. SGP is a way of trying to improve your standings in classic Rotisserie formats. I was trying to make the point that when using SGP for "rate" statistics, i.e., OBP, WHIP, BA, etc.) it gets more complicated, but that the SGP ERA formulas generally help you eveluate a players contribution to your Rotoisserie team.

For more study of this material, you should read Gerald Holmes excellent article on the topic as well:

And OBP is "On Base Percentage" or also OB, "On Base Average."

It is usually (not including hit batsmen) calcluated as OBP = ((H + BB) / (AB + BB)).

I hope that helps,
    Andy Andres

Comment

I did read both articles, and both were very good and insightful. Regarding the OBP calculation, I was wondering if there is a SGP OBP formula like the others you had listed.
      Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the response.
      Head Stooge

Comment

Originally posted by grseverson
        I did read both articles, and both were very good and insightful. Regarding the OBP calculation, I was wondering if there is a SGP OBP formula like the others you had listed.
        Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the response.
        grseverson,

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your previous post. I thought you were looking for something else. As far as an SGP formula for OBP, I have not seen one. But, if you are facile with spreadsheets, my second to last paragraph in the article attempts to outline the method of doing this kind of "rate" evaluation for yourself.

Maybe more specifics are warrented here, but I suggest you give it a try yourself. If my instructions are unclear and it proves too difficult, please let me know.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X