Printing Ron's Columns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing Ron's Columns...

Why when I try to print Ron's columns from the website it cuts off the last couple of letters from the right side?

None of the other articles/columns present this problem...

Thanks for the help...

Rudy
    He who dies with the most toys...Wins!!!

I just printed it, and it was fine. Could it be your browser? I am using IE7. I alternate between IE & Firefox and occassionally websites function differently on the separate browsers. Just a thought...
    A fantasy team's prosperity is inversely proportional to the amount of Pittsburgh Pirates that are rostered.

Comment

Mine's fine too (Netscape).

Comment

I am running IE 6.0...

It just funny that this just starting happening about the first of the year and only with Ron's columns...

No big deal...Thanks for the help though!!!

Comment

This is a common problem which has a variety of causes - sometimes on the Web page, sometimes on the user side.

A workaround you might try: before you print, select File, Page Setup, and reduce the size of the right margin.

Comment

I've had this problem too this year. Sent an email to tech support about 3-4 weeks ago and never received an answer. It only happens on Ron's columns, so I don't think it's a problem with my browser.
            "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Problem is fixed for me now. The fix went in sometime during the past week.

Comment

It's a bit frustrating to me that the error is corrected promptly after a thread on the forums is opened, but when I followed the requested procedure of quietly sending an email, no response at all.

One possible lesson is to complain in this more public forum to get action, which presumably is not what BBHQ is trying to incent. Of course, with a sample size of one issue, the data can suggest lots of possible conclusions.

Comment

Michael, you're jumping the gun. The problem was not fixed, and it's just coincidental that it's working for you. This is what's happening. The Web page for Ron's article is missing a stylesheet command that applies to printing. If I go to the HQ site, go directly to Ron's column, and do a Print Preview, I see the problem, under either Firefox or IE. The clue is that the Print Preview shows the navigation bar at the left, which is not what we want.

However, that stylesheet command is on the other writer pages. If I go to the Power article and do a Print Preview, it works.

Now, here's the reason why it may have worked for you. If I then go back to Ron's column and do a Print Preview, it's now OK... because me doing the Preview on the other column loaded the proper stylesheet into memory, which then remains there for subsequent print requests.

The fix to Ron's page is very easy, so we'll take care of it ASAP.

P.S. I am actually not one of the Tech Support guys - I just investigated this on my own. I am a programmer, though, and I can tell you that at very busy times, programmers have a long to-do list, and it's tough to get to everything. At work, I probably have 50 items on my list, and even the easy ones get ignored because there just isn't time (which is why many programmers dial in from home to try to get some of those smaller issues out of the way.)
                  Last edited by Tom_T; 03-03-2007, 11:30 AM. Reason: Ron's page is now fixed. Printing should work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
                    ... I can tell you that at very busy times, programmers have a long to-do list, and it's tough to get to everything. At work, I probably have 50 items on my list, and even the easy ones get ignored because there just isn't time (which is why many programmers dial in from home to try to get some of those smaller issues out of the way.)
                    Thanks for fixing the problem, Tom.

To put my comments in context better, tech support for this website generally has been very good since Ron changed the staff a couple years ago. Notice the player link pages drew raves. Another example is when a spreadsheet changed the formatting for player names and users complained, it was reversed very promptly. Your tech support staff usually deserves kudos. Also, I used to make my living as a computer programmer, so I can empathize with the programmers.

Nonetheless, I've got to point out:
                    • If the request wasn't going to be prioritized high, that's fine, but a reply informing me, the user, should have been sent within a few days. Mistakes happen, so I wouldn't draw too much from a single incident. Also, it's possible that a reply e-mail was sent to me but a spam filter intercepted it: stuff like that happens.
                    • Getting lots of tech support requests isn't unique to this website. Most help desk operations have tracking software so that requests don't get overlooked or fail to draw responses.
                    • What is clear is that if a systems glitch gets resolved more quickly if one posts a thread on these forums than if one sends an e-mail, then it creates an incentive to complain through forum threads instead of e-mails. I don't think that's what BBHQ wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      • What is clear is that if a systems glitch gets resolved more quickly if one posts a thread on these forums than if one sends an e-mail, then it creates an incentive to complain through forum threads instead of e-mails. I don't think that's what BBHQ wants.
                      BTW, I think this is a VERY common misperception. I KNOW I'm supposed to email but even I feel a strong "pull" to post problems here (maybe because I'm conditioned by getting such great help in the Forums generally).
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Didn't mean to cause such a fuss...

Just thought it was wierd whenever I went to print the Friday articles for my lunchtime read...

Thanks for all of the help...

Comment

So now Ron is holding back the weekly Thursday article?!?!?! I NEED my weekly fix!!!!
                          5x5 10 Team Deep NL Keeper, 5x5 12 Team Mixed

Comment

Working...
                          X