"Extra bases" definition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Extra bases" definition?

Pardon the obvious question, but how exactly is "extra bases" defined by baseball? "Total bases" is clear: 1 for a single, 2 for a double, etc. But which is the correct way to calculate "extra bases"?:

a) 1 for a double, 2 for a triple, 3 for a HR -- as in how many "extra" bases beyond the single are involved

b) 2 for a double, 3 for a triple, 4 for a HR -- as in you got an extra base hit, and here are the total bases involved in that hit.
    MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Originally posted by Nick View Post
    Pardon the obvious question, but how exactly is "extra bases" defined by baseball? "Total bases" is clear: 1 for a single, 2 for a double, etc. But which is the correct way to calculate "extra bases"?:

a) 1 for a double, 2 for a triple, 3 for a HR -- as in how many "extra" bases beyond the single are involved

b) 2 for a double, 3 for a triple, 4 for a HR -- as in you got an extra base hit, and here are the total bases involved in that hit.
    I'm probably even more confused.......I would've assumed it was

1 for a double, 1 for a triple, 1 for a HR as in "how many of your hits ended up as more than a single?"
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

I'll say Nick's option a) covers "extra bases" and Markus' definition covers "extra base hits".

Comment

Does anyone use the term "extra bases"? To me, there are extra-base hits, and then there are total bases. "Extra bases" is vague.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
          Does anyone use the term "extra bases"? To me, there are extra-base hits, and then there are total bases. "Extra bases" is vague.
          Not to Markus and I. We're in Ron's Experiment league, and "extra bases" is one of the eight categories. As you can imagine, we're very interested in the precise definition.

Comment

"Extra bases" is definitely TB-singles
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ View Post
              "Extra bases" is definitely TB-singles
              In that case, my b) definition would be the correct one. You take all the doubles * 2 + triples * 3 + HR * 4 (and you leave out the singles) to get "extra bases." For Total Bases is the above plus singles * 1.

Right?

Comment

Working...
              X