Head to Head Points League Content?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head to Head Points League Content?

New subscriber to the site, via RotoPass. Looks great. (And first-time reader of Baseball Forecaster this year). I understand that the content is apparently geared mostly towards roto leagues, but if anyone could point me in the direction of any articles, tools, etc. geared towards head to head points league play, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Welcome to the site, mastergator. HQ traditionally has been geared toward roto, but in recent years they have been ramping up the coverage of other games, including H2H. Some new H2H content is coming later this week, I hear, and there should be regular columns over the course of the season. In addition, there are several of us who play H2H and we'd be happy to compare notes with you and offer suggestions. You have discovered one of the best aspects of the HQ universe: this board. Unlike many other boards, this one is generally supportive and helpful.

Here's one recent article on H2H to get you started:

http://www.baseballhq.com/members/news/strategy/misc061222.shtml
    MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Try this link and this link.
      There's usually a Gaming feature each week. Sometimes its about CDM leagues and the like. Sometimes about points.
      "As often is the case, GE is right." -- Davitt@HQ

Comment

Follow up question

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Welcome to the site, mastergator. HQ traditionally has been geared toward roto, but in recent years they have been ramping up the coverage of other games, including H2H. Some new H2H content is coming later this week, I hear, and there should be regular columns over the course of the season. In addition, there are several of us who play H2H and we'd be happy to compare notes with you and offer suggestions. You have discovered one of the best aspects of the HQ universe: this board. Unlike many other boards, this one is generally supportive and helpful.

Here's one recent article on H2H to get you started:

http://www.baseballhq.com/members/news/strategy/misc061222.shtml
        Thank you for that info - I am in a points-based H2H league, and that information was very helpful. One follow up question I would have - where is the best place to see pitchers' PQS scores or the DOM/DIS ratio? I don't think it is on the projection file.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by iucpa View Post
          Thank you for that info - I am in a points-based H2H league, and that information was very helpful. One follow up question I would have - where is the best place to see pitchers' PQS scores or the DOM/DIS ratio? I don't think it is on the projection file.
          http://www.baseballhq.com/members/data/splogs.shtml (2006 Logs)

http://www.baseballhq.com/members/library/centraldata.shtml (Past Logs)

And once the season begins, each player's page will contain PQS scores.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. THere's also a good new article I saw posted here this week on the value of consistency in weekly head to head play. Which is very true.

Ideally, I'd love to see something with the HQ projections being able to be plugged into a custom points league setup, to see how the projections translate into my league. But that may not be available here, and that's fine.

Comment

What I do is take the HQ projections into Excel, and then just create my own formula to calculate points for my league. Presto! I have my sorted list.

If you know how to do this, it's easy. If this is not something you have ever done, and you don't know where to begin, just ask and we'll help.

Comment

Nick or any other H2H points league gurus,

This is my 2nd year using HQ and I want to make better use of stats only found here. I have taken HQ's projections and appiled my leagues scroring rules. I then build a cheat sheet (a 11x17 spreadsheet) by position, w/ name, positions & projected points. Is there another HQ stat (like bpv or rar) that would be good to include on my cheat sheet. I'm basically looking for a quick way to choose the "right" guy on draft day.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bighitz View Post
                  Nick or any other H2H points league gurus,

This is my 2nd year using HQ and I want to make better use of stats only found here. I have taken HQ's projections and appiled my leagues scroring rules. I then build a cheat sheet (a 11x17 spreadsheet) by position, w/ name, positions & projected points. Is there another HQ stat (like bpv or rar) that would be good to include on my cheat sheet. I'm basically looking for a quick way to choose the "right" guy on draft day.
                  Well, points is points would be one way to look at it, but yeah, it's good to focus on the fact that it all boils down to how much you trust the projections. If the projections fail, the points do not follow.

As a general rule I like BPV for an overall quality indicator. If I have to choose between two different guys with similar points projections, I'll lean toward the one with the higher BPV.

But what I found for batters in particular is that RC/G is an excellent metric. Combine it with projected AB to find the full-time guys who produce on a daily basis, and you have a good list of players. So what I would do is create your ranked lists, but then highlight those names who have really good BPV and RC/G numbers. Then during your draft when you get to certain levels containing similarly-projected players, lean toward the highlighted names.

Comment

Thanks for the info and quick reply!

Is there a formula for combining projected ab with rc/g?

Do you not use projected points to build your rank list?

In the past I've taken projections from multiple sources and averaged them so I don't just "trust" one set of projections. Then I'll do some fine tuning based on research, news and my own opinion. Last year if the HQ projection was way off from the others I generally went with just the HQ projection. I thought having BPV and REL would be a good way to make those crucial in draft decisions.

Is there a better way to build a cheat sheet?

Thanks

Comment

Is there a formula for combining projected ab with rc/g?
                      No, I just sort by RC/G and note which of the highly ranked ones have few ABs. I might note them for free agent pickups if they get more playing time in the year, but for drafting I want to only focus on the guys getting the ABs. I make the high RC/G guys bold, and then I go back to the sort-by-points rank.

Do you not use projected points to build your rank list?
                      Yes. That is what I do. It's just that within each positional ranking (sorted by points), I also note those with high RC/G, BPV numbers. That way if I have to pick from two similar guys in terms of points, I let those other factors become the tiebreaker.

In the past I've taken projections from multiple sources and averaged them so I don't just "trust" one set of projections. Then I'll do some fine tuning based on research, news and my own opinion. Last year if the HQ projection was way off from the others I generally went with just the HQ projection. I thought having BPV and REL would be a good way to make those crucial in draft decisions.
                      Is there a better way to build a cheat sheet?
                      You are doing it just fine. Just add RC/G to your arsenal and you're set.

Comment

There is one other obvious thing that you can do in a points league: Not only calculate projected points, but also points per AB (or points per IP). Now you have a measure of true quality regardless of playing time. This can help you find the youngsters who do not yet have playing time, but when they do will produce big time.

Comment

Working...
                        X