Rules of the Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules of the Forums

OK, I've been around this site a while now, and I read the Rules when I first subscribed, but today I noticed Ron's announcement at the top of each board I visited, clicked on it, took in the requested changes to signatures (great idea, thank you, it really was getting annoying having roster names in a signature turn up in a search), and then, when Ron suggested reading the revised rules, believe it or not, chalk it up to me being an idiot or not, I couldn't find them. It took me all day before I took in the RULES OF THE FORUMS at the top of the screen. Somehow, that had just become part of the header for me. And maybe I am the only one, as I'm pretty embarassed to even be telling you this, as it seems pretty obvious now, but why not have Forum Rules be something you can click on when you're looking at the list of boards, or something on the side where all the other menu choices are (rethinking all the places I looked). Or, maybe, Ron should just add something to his post along the lines of "for those of you who actually aren't sure where to find the rules, and are too blind to actually notice them, click on the bright red underlined letters at the top of the screen that say Rules of the Forums".)

It's not just you. When I first came it took me a long time before I noticed they were there. So I'll second your "the link blends into the header too much" idea.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

what would make it stand out more?

Comment

What if it were blue like a "normal" link?
        If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
        -Bill Lyon

Comment

Isn't there an easy way for someone to list their roster in a signature AND for it not to show up in a search?

I'd agree that it's a pain if the signatures confuse the search engine, but the current proposal simply swaps one headache for another. If it can't be helped this year for some reason, then at least a note saying that it will be fixed by next year would be nice.

I've just made an easy adjustment that might avoid the 'throw the baby out with the bath water' issue.
          I put initials in front of every players name. Does that solve it? Or was that too obvious?
          Last edited by Howie M; 07-09-2006, 11:03 AM.
          NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
          our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
          a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by helloneumn
            What if it were blue like a "normal" link?
            I use Firefox, and the link is in Blue. (I always wondered why it was sad to be Red until I logged into the websit from a friend's house on IE)
            "Give that fan a contract!" - Rex Barney

He's throwing a 2 hit shutout and he's shaking me off, can you believe that sh**! Charlie, here comes the deuce; and when you speak of me, speak well. - Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK@HQ
              what would make it stand out more?
              Two (among many possible) ideas:
              - Edit the text to say "PLEASE READ: Rules of the Forum"

- Or move the text to the inside top of the thread/menu boxed area above where the forum hierachy shows but wtill within that whole boxed section (which surrounds menus as well). I don't know web page design and have no idea if that is actually possible or would make any sense. Just commenting from a "viewing" perspective. Right now the text is outside/above that box and I think the viewer tends to see everything above that box as "Header" and not an interactive section.
              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
              Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie M
                I put initials in front of every players name. Does that solve it? Or was that too obvious?
                Search engine would still pick up the character strings with the player's last name. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this right now.

Curious - what is the advantage of listing your entire roster in your signature for every post?
                "Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -- George Carlin

Comment

I think the idea is to forestall replies of, "Well how can I answer your roster question if I don't know your roster?!"

But to me it's a bit of overkill. Maybe 1 or 2 posts out of 100 would require knowing your full roster to answer a question. So for those 1 or 2 posts, put in your roster in the main message. That would eliminate a lot of the problem.
                  MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Originally posted by RON@HQ
                    Search engine would still pick up the character strings with the player's last name. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this right now.

Curious - what is the advantage of listing your entire roster in your signature for every post?
                    This is part of the culture at Mastersball.com (and others?) so maybe users coming here from there (or on both sites) are carrying that with them. Personally I find the utility of having it there (and there is some) is much smaller than the added "clutter" to boards so prefer the style here better (...give info when needed). But that's just my preference.....

Comment

WOW! Rules link JUMPS off the screen at me now! Looks great.

(Always possible I'm only noticing more because it's a "change" from what my eyes expect and that for new people it won't work.....but definitely working for me right now!)

Comment

I try to be as obnoxious as possible

Comment

You were very obnoxious, and I mean that in a good way. Seriously, it's as clear as can be now.
                          MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

Looks great and you can't miss it. Thanks.

PS: Blue is preferable to Red, here, visually, in politics, often even in temperament, tho not always. Not, however, in Sox. There, only Red should win. Thanks again.

Comment

I always find myself wondering what the rest of the guy's roster when he says "my pitching is weak," or whatever.

I tried another alternative.
                              Does that work, or should I just get rid of it?
                              Other boards don't have that search engine problem. Maybe find out what they do?
                              NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
                              our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
                              a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

Working...
                              X