HQ Ad in Rotwire Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ Ad in Rotwire Mag

HQ's ad in Rotowire's magazine offers up the following...

- Two end-game catchers who could hit 20 home runs in 2006.
    - Five bullpens with hidden opportunities for cheap saves.
    - Three sub .250 batters who could hit over .300 this year.
    - Of 2005s surprise pitchers, the only one who is legitimate.
    - Eight undrafted players who will be worth big FAAB by June.
    - A potential source of unexpected wins that will astound you.
    - The high priced speedster to avoid at all costs.
    - Six pitchers who could improve their 5.00 ERA by two runs.
    - Four .300 hitters who are primed to plummet.

I am getting going a bit late this year, and am interested in the identities of these players. Could you either provide the names of the players or point me in the direction of an article that has the info? Thanks!

HQ Rotowire Ad

I was hoping that an HQ writer would have the info from the Rotowire ad readily available...anyone? (The rationale would be helpful, too.) Thanks!

Comment

Some of this information is covered in the first pitch forums. Other, I believe, is just "marketing" to get you to join the site. With the knowledge that HQ provides, its tidbits like these that you'll be able to find. Of course, I don't work here, so...
      If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
      -Bill Lyon

Comment

It'd be nice to see the ad answered just as concisely as the questions are asked. This isn't the first time that this question has been asked.
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
          This isn't the first time that this question has been asked.
          Well, that particular question was answered at the First Pitch Forum. Not too hard to figure out on your own, either. I think that's the point that the ad is trying to make. If you come to HQ, you can learn the tools to find the answers to these questions yourself! For the answer to this particular question, take 5 catchers with low REL who's backups have high PX and you'll have your list
          -Bill Lyon

Comment

That's fine, but the advertisements are for BBHQ, not the First Pitch Forum.
            "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Thanks for responding. A couple thoughts...
              "Some of this information is covered in the first pitch forums."
              - I live in CA and, unfortunately, cannot attend the forums. I would like to see them head west, though.

"I believe, is just "marketing" to get you to join the site."
              - That would be very disappointing. I hope that HQ would not stoop to that level.

"With the knowledge that HQ provides, its tidbits like these that you'll be able to find."
              - I don't feel like I should have to search for something that is advertised in promotional literature.

"It'd be nice to see the ad answered just as concisely as the questions are asked."
              - Completely agree.

"Well, that particular question was answered at the First Pitch Forum."
              - If the info is readily available then it should be presented here, not just at the Forum...especially considering the ad is for the site.

"Not too hard to figure out on your own, either. I think that's the point that the ad is trying to make."
              - I do not think that the ad implies that one will be given the 'tools' to figure out the answers to the questions. In my opinion, the ad implies that one will receive the answers to these questions after subscribing. Regardless, I don't see why we cannot have the questions answered with the rationale for those answers. We all pay for the service...would make a great column.

I am curious to hear an HQ analyst's opinion. And...I would really like to know the players and the rationale behind the claim in the Rotowire ad. Thanks!

Comment

Not to be an HQ apologist, but a couple of responses
                Originally posted by AJP
                - I live in CA and, unfortunately, cannot attend the forums. I would like to see them head west, though.
                They have forums in AZ. Lots of people go there from all over the country
                Originally posted by AJP
                "With the knowledge that HQ provides, its tidbits like these that you'll be able to find."
                - I don't feel like I should have to search for something that is advertised in promotional literature.
                I haven't seen the ad, so I can't speak directly as to what it says. Not sure how its any different from Bally's advertising saying that if you come there, you can get in better shape. It doesn't just happen by walking in the door--you have to do the work.

I don't think its HQ's style to just have one neat little article titled "All Your Questions Answered Here". They want you to see information and come to conclusions for yourself. That said, below is some of the information you are looking for. I'm sure there will be more in the days and weeks leading up to opening day. If you haven't read them already (or even if you have) read them with the ad in mind and I'm sure that you'll see the answers are right there.
                Thread about catchers
                Thread about hidden saves
                Hitting sleepers
                Non-Roster invites that might surprise
                Pitching Sleepers
                Ron's Article about hitters to exceed/fall short of expectations
                -Bill Lyon

Comment

Not trying to be an HQ critic...

The Forum in Arizona took place November 3-5. I am sure it was fantastic and would love to attend in the future. I would assume that the information at subsequent Forums, that began no earlier than February 25, had to be more up to date.

Nonetheless...you should pick up a copy of the magazine and check out the full page ad (pg 5). The ad includes the exact statements that I listed in the first email of this thread. (Who is the, "...potential source of unexpected wins that will astound you"?) I don't think the ad implies 'no pain, no gain' like Bally's. At the very least, the ad gives the appearance of answering those questions..."and TONS MORE - ONLINE - RIGHT NOW!"

Comment

Originally posted by AJP
                    Nonetheless...you should pick up a copy of the magazine and check out the full page ad (pg 5). The ad includes the exact statements that I listed in the first email of this thread. (Who is the, "...potential source of unexpected wins that will astound you"?) I don't think the ad implies 'no pain, no gain' like Bally's. At the very least, the ad gives the appearance of answering those questions..."and TONS MORE - ONLINE - RIGHT NOW!"
                    I will check it out. In the mean time, if you check the links in my last post, you'll find your answers!
                    -Bill Lyon

Comment

I'm a little surprised that no one from HQ has posted. Helloneumn is completely correct that the philosophy here is to teach you to fish rather than giving you fish....but they do give us fish and I would've expected they would happily answer these questions. (Maybe waiting for the last FPForum to be over?)

Helloneumn, thanks so much for the links - I think that was really cool of you to post those!
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls
                        I'm a little surprised that no one from HQ has posted. Helloneumn is completely correct that the philosophy here is to teach you to fish rather than giving you fish....but they do give us fish and I would've expected they would happily answer these questions. (Maybe waiting for the last FPForum to be over?)
                        Baseball HQ *is* about teaching you how to fish. As such, we will not be publishing an article that specifically addresses those points. The information *is* on the site now. We have buyers guides and Futures columns and all sorts of tools to find these things out. Please read them and use them; you'll find them to be amazing resources.

We did address the catcher issue at the First Pitch Forum, but even that was just a teaser for what type of information you can find here. However, that was not meant to replace the information on this site.

All that said, I do have plans for a column later this month that will focus on those teasers to the extent of HOW TO figure that type of stuff out for yourself. For, I could just TELL you which two end-game catchers could hit 20 HRs in 2006 (and at the forums, I named EIGHT catchers who had the potential), but then you'd never be able to figure out which end-game SHORTSTOPS could do the same thing.

Patience, and you will learn how to fish here...

RON@HQ
                        "Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -- George Carlin

Comment

Agreed!

Sincere appreciation to Helloneumn for exceptional customer service...or would that be 'colleague' service? Regardless, thanks for the links.

Comment

Ron,
                            Thanks for the response. We all have different amounts of understanding about and time available for fishing.

My thinking is that when HQ prepared the ad, HQ had already identified the 'answers' to the statements about the players in question. (I hope the statements were more than just teasers.) Since HQ has that information then why not simply provide a list?

Another way to teach us how to fish might be to provide the names related to the statements without an explanation, and present the challenge to readers to figure out why.

"Players X, Y, and Z are three sub .250 batters who could hit over .300 this year...you figure out why and we'll provide HQ's thinking in one week."

After we have a chance to wrestle with that question you could then present your thinking...this would be a great check for understanding. As it stands now, I feel like I am left to figure out the answers and wonder if I am correct. This strategy would address the needs of all of your readers...those who truly want to learn to fish as well as those who would like somebody to give them the fish.

Thanks for your consideration.

Comment

AJP, I'll let Ron speak for himself, but don't you think that the links I posted give you the answers you're looking for? The ad didn't promise that the answers would be gift wrapped for you at the site--just that they'd be here. And they are. Just addressing the question you chose as an example, I think the hitting sleeper article I linked above gives the answer--Brad Wilkerson, JJ Hardy & Edwin Encarnacion.
                              -Bill Lyon

Comment

Working...
                              X