February projections are up . . . and still no B.J. Upton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February projections are up . . . and still no B.J. Upton

Why is this? Why is there a projection for Delmon Young and not B.J. Upton? As between the two, Upton is just as likely -- if not MORE likely -- to see MLB playing time in 2006 as is Young. So why does Young merit a projection while BHQ remains silent on Upton?

I know there must be a good reason -- there almost always is -- but I don't know what it is.

Help!

We have trouble taking someone seriously when their initials stand for "Bossman Junior"?

Actually, that's not the real reason. I'll forward this along to the projections team and see what they say.

Comment

And here I thought it was Bossman James. Now I get it.

Comment

Someone else said it was "Bo Junior" Upton. See posts 7&8 at this thread.
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

And according to The Baseball Cube, his real name is Melvin. Will this mystery never be solved?
          If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
          -Bill Lyon

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarro
            I know there must be a good reason -- there almost always is -- but I don't know what it is.
            Unfortunately, there isn't a *good* reason.

Short answer: Oversight, and we'll have an entry in the March 3rd projections. In the meantime, the MLEs on BHQ can give an idea of his offensive capabilities.

Long answer: In early October, while doing prep work for the Forecaster, a decision was made to omit Upton from the Major League section. It was pretty clear at that time he was going to spend most, if not all, of 2006 in the minors.

Since then, there's been an ownership and GM change, and while it's not clear when he'll be with the club, he still should've had an entry added to PlayerLink.

Now the question is: How much playing time will he get?

While there's news he may be a utility player on Opening Day, I just don't see it. He needs regular defensive work, as he had 53 errors last year. (Edgar Renteria "led" the league with 30.) On a side note, there's other news that Upton could be sent down until May so the team will pick up 1 more year without going to arbitration with him.

Lugo could be traded at the All Star Break, but what if Upton doesn't improve on his D?

Lotsa possibilities.

Comment

Working...
            X