Art McGee's Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art McGee's Book

Scott Monroe recently referred to Art McGee's book in his column. It is not uncommon for Mr. McGee and his book to be spoken about on this website. But frankly, making references to a book that is out of print and simply not available (even from rare and used book sellers - and I've tried) is not particularly useful. I actually find it a little aggrevating because every time I see that I want to look at the book but can't.

So my two questions:
    1. What ever happened to Art McGee? Is he still around somewhere?

2. Can't someone buy rights to his book and publish it as a Acrobat file on the website? If the publisher is not interested in publishing it then how expensive could it be to do so?

If the book is good enough to be talked about so much - and it seems it is - then someone should find a way to make it available. Otherwise we should refer to sources that ARE available (or write a new one if none exist).

Just my opinions. I welcome others opinions as well.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

I can answer the "what happened to Art McGee" part... I believe he 'retired' from the game a few years ago and went back to his day job. In fact, I believe his day job is fairly prominent, and that "Art McGee" is a pen name.

In fact, my personal theory is that Art McGee is Alan Greenspan. :-) (Maybe now that Alan has some free time, he'll come back and update his book.)

Now I've never seen the book, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn. But by using the formulas from his book and plugging in the latest data every year for our "SGP" columns, aren't we in fact updating his work annually? My (limited) understanding is that the main contribution of the book is the development of the SGP formula, which we (and others) are now using openly.

So, again, I haven't read the book, but I'm not sure how much you're really missing out on by not having it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to read it, of course. :-)

Comment

Hey Markus. Hit me with an email dude.

Comment

Markus, check your inbox. I might be able to help you.
        "A republic if you can keep it."

Comment

Oh, great.... now these forums have an underground library. :-)

Comment

Yup Ray. If you want I guess. You can email me as well.

Comment

Thanks, Larry... I'm good though. Maybe next off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ
                In fact, my personal theory is that Art McGee is Alan Greenspan. :-) (Maybe now that Alan has some free time, he'll come back and update his book.)-)
                Ray, you're close. In fact, NEW Fed chairman Ben Bernanke is a fantasy baseball player, Bill James aficionado, and has has a special interest in inherited runners and their effects on ERA.
                http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ
                  Thanks, Larry... I'm good though. Maybe next off-season.

Fine Ray be like that. No more rah rah red sox moves from me then lol.

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing this book sometime too.

Comment

How to Value Players for Rotisserie Baseball.....

For what it's worth, I did a quick search on FROOGLE and found two different places with a copy of Art McGee's book, albeit for $190 but just on the off chance that someone may be interested.
                      "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"
                      Willy Wonka

Comment

Wow. I picked it up last year (maybe 2 years ago) for about $15 or maybe even less.
                        John
                        Commish / RLCC / AL only 4X4 / since 1987
                        Rotisserie League of Central Connecticut
                        Owner - MudHens

Comment

190 bukcs?!? I should sell mine! Bought it for $5. Talk about a sleeper pick!
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ
                            190 bukcs?!? I should sell mine! Bought it for $5. Talk about a sleeper pick!
                            Or do you hold it.....and hope it's worth $500 in 2010? Tough call!
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
                            Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by captgus
                              For what it's worth, I did a quick search on FROOGLE and found two different places with a copy of Art McGee's book, albeit for $190 but just on the off chance that someone may be interested.
                              Isn't eBay wonderful??? I may have to sell my copy (now I have to find it...)

Comment

Working...
                              X