Value of Forecaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of Forecaster

I'd appreciate someone sharing what the value of Forecaster is beyond what is included in BaseballHQ.com and RotoHQ.com. What is included in Forecaster that's not included in either of those two sources?

Thanks.

Have you been to the website? http://www.baseballforecaster.com/

Also check out the sample pages: http://www.baseballforecaster.com/samples.shtml

You also have a hardcopy to take to the "reading room"
    "As often is the case, GE is right." -- Davitt@HQ

Comment

It's a hardcopy. This means you can take it anywhere. It also means that it is easy to quickly look through players - at least I find it quicker than repeatedly clicking "player link database". I think it is more concisely presented so easier to view at a glance.

It contains ranked lists of players by value and by skills. I guess this is also available if you sort the spreadsheets available here but you have to weed through all the other info on the spreadsheets.

The best part is the historical element. At a glance you can see 5 years of history for the player. This makes it really easy to see trends, or shifts from minors to majors. I find these trends crucial for predicting performance for the future.
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

I agree GE and Markus. I highlight and abuse my Forecaster by the time March rolls around. Its good to have a hard copy. Especially if you have to commute for work. I remember last yr - I was working in the city. I had gone through the entire forecaster and did my notes and everything by the time XMAS rolled around. then had that to glance and read over on the morning or night time commute. Plus like Markus said you can highlight the 5 yr trends for players. Its a little harder to do that on the website.

Comment

Any time I made any move/trade during the whole season, I checked my Forecaster. IMO, nothing replaces the ability to see the last 5 year's stats and BPIs at the same time. As a side note, as nice as having a hard copy is...if you order through HQ, you get the whole book on pdf as well!
          "Give that fan a contract!" - Rex Barney

He's throwing a 2 hit shutout and he's shaking me off, can you believe that sh**! Charlie, here comes the deuce; and when you speak of me, speak well. - Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Yardsmen GM
            Any time I made any move/trade during the whole season, I checked my Forecaster. IMO, nothing replaces the ability to see the last 5 year's stats and BPIs at the same time. As a side note, as nice as having a hard copy is...if you order through HQ, you get the whole book on pdf as well!

Thats what i do Yardsmen. I highlight certain criteria for all the players for the past 5 years. So i cann see the pattern or trend up close.

Comment

Originally posted by circle360
              Plus like Markus said you can highlight the 5 yr trends for players. Its a little harder to do that on the website.
              Is it even possible to do on the website?
              If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
              -Bill Lyon

Comment

I think the Forecaster appeals to the "do-it-yourself" impulse most of us have because you can see statistics, including BPIs, for 5-years. Between the statistics and the comments, one can decide whether to believe the BBHQ projections for various players. Besides that, it's just plain fun.

If you're an owner who relies almost entirely on the BBHQ projections, that the projections are the main product that you're buying with your BaseballHQ.com subscription, then you may not find much additional value from the Forecaster.

Another idea is that most years (but it's not guaranteed) you can buy a Forecaster for half price in May or so, so you could buy a copy late to see if you like it. I was unimpressed with the sample pages from The Graphical Pitcher the first year and passed on that publication, but bought the 2005 issue at half price during the season and decided that I did like it and now bought the 2006 issue at full price. Maybe a similar route appeals to you.
                "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by helloneumn
                  Is it even possible to do on the website?

No helloneum. I meant follw the 5 yr trends on the website. You can highlight in the book. As i can see by looking in my books case.

Comment

Thats what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some secret section of the website that had this info
                    If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
                    -Bill Lyon

Comment

Nope helloneum. That would be pretty cool though.

Comment

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. You've sold me.

Comment

The articles are pretty good, and the writers are very personable and deserving of your support, or so I hear.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Working...
                          X