Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

I've read several references to SPG. What do the initials stand for? and where can I get a description of the methodology?
    Teams
    1. Terra Nova Terriers - 12 team mixed league, 5v5, $260 Cap, 9H, 9P, 7R & 25 MiLB - 2008 Champion
    2. Rocky's Bullwinkles, CrashTest Dummies - 2 NL only Mendoza League teams
    3. Desperate Measures - an AL only Mendoza Leagues team - 2012 Champion
    4. Hard Times - 24 team Dynasty League, H2H points scoring
    5. St. John's GobSmackers - 16 team H2H points auction League ($430 cap) - 2012 Champion
    6. Sundry other teams too numerous to mention

'The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.' - Herbert Spencer

I don't know about SPG.

If you meant to type SGP, such as when it is used in http://forums.baseballhq.com/showthr...&highlight=SGP, then it refers to Standings Gain Points, a valuation methodology first explained in an out-of-print book by Art McGee, but there may be other articles on it on RotoHQ.com.
    "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

In a nutshell, SGP calculates player value by determining how many points in the league standings an individual player's production will add. The system first calculates how big are the "gaps" in each category, ie 8 HR separates 1st from 2nd, 2nd from 3rd, and so on, 16 RBI the same, etc. (these calculations are based on fairly constant values by Al and NL, or can be calcualted with reference to your particular Roto league). Then each player gets 1 SGP for each 8 HR and another point per 16 RBI. It gets more complicated for the rate categories, but the idea is the same: Award the player dollar value by figuring out how many points he gains for you in the actual standings.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

If you wanted the Art McGee book it appears hard to find - I'm still looking for one myself. I did find however that the Boston Public Library has a copy I can review so I may go that route. If you are looking for it, try to the largest public library near to you. Also, there ARE several essays on RotoHQ.com (must be subscribed) from Art about how to do it. I'm not sure there is enough info there to actually do it but it's pretty close.
        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
        Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Here is a good SGP thread from last year.
          @edecaria

Comment

Originally posted by junkmailer
            That is OUTSTANDING Junkmailer...thanks for pointing me to that!
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
            Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Got a used copy of the McGee book from Amazon a couple years back. I re-read it every spring as part of my auction prep. It's starting to make sense...
              "A republic if you can keep it."

Comment

Working...
              X