No announcement yet.

Best way to gain an edge using HQ info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to gain an edge using HQ info?

I've only been using this service for a couple of months and have read in these forums how members have done well in their leagues using the info found in HQ.
    I have four teams in keeper leagues(2 in dynasty-100% keeper) and will be drafting 2 new teams in March for keeper leagues that only retain 15 players for the next year. All are online snake drafts-no auction.
    Tough question---What is the best way to use all the info on this site for my dynasty teams and the 2 drafts next March?? I have read the new user guides and am familiar with the terms etc...I'm just wondering how closely you use stats like eye,BPV,ct% etc...
    I also will be receiving forecaster in a few days.
    Scott

I can't help you much with your format -- I only participate in an auction league. The BBHQ writers who specialize in drafts really emphasize focusing on position eligibility. You should look at the two items under straight draft tools here (and hurry because they probably will be removed from the site before too much longer). http://www.baseballhq.com/subscribe/draftcenter.shtml
    "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Michael,
      Thank you twice!! Once for the welcome in the other thread and now for this advise! I'm copying the article from the link. The stats are 2004 but the article looks interesting at first glance.
      How can I find an auction league to participate in? I live in Arizona and till now have only been in online leagues.
      Scott

Comment

Scott,

There are some postings in the Clubhouse forum for league openings, probably more in the springtime than now. Some require in person attendance at auctions while others allow an owner to participate by internet or phone. Of course, you probably want to patrol other sites to look for openings too.
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

I too would like to add a belated welcome. And I also second Michael's point about position scarcity. When your forecaster comes it most likely will include 'toolboxs' that do a good job explaining things like eye , bpv , etc.
          \" Quit clouding the issues with the facts! \" Davitt - 07/06/05

\" What we don\'t know , we explain to each other\" J. R. Oppenheimer speaking to fellow physicist Greg Breit.

Ron V's new signature line, "It's drivel, but it's diligent, sleep-deprived drivel!" Patioboater 1/14/06

Comment

Scott, there is so much to say about how to use the site. Here's something brief:
            BBHQ teaches BB/9, SO/9, BB/SO, HR/9, H%, and S% for pitchers. Learn how they suggest using these and USE them. For hitters, EYE, H%, CT%, BB%, PX and SX are criticial. Learn and use these. Read the daily Market Watch articles!

Most importantly: They have OUTSTANDING info on prospects and the minor leagues. Getting a prospect cheaply BEFORE the breakout is one of the surest ways to win. And the info here helps A LOT with this.

Finding Leagues: In my "travels" I haven't found a lot of auction leagues that use online drafting (for different locations). But I'm currently organizing a new one for next year and have about 8 interested people so far. If you'd like to hear more details just click on my profile and send me a private email. I won't be officially advertising or asking for commitments till late Jan.

Best,
            -Mark
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
            Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Great Advice

Scott,

Read the FORECASTER from cover to cover --- TWICE.

Trust me, you won't grasp all of the Toolbox nuances first time (make that season) around, but it'll start crystallizing gradually. Your analytical skills will improve over time and you won't even notice it; it's subtle but believe me, effective. Most of all - worth EVERY CENT.

Once the season starts, read the daily comments for both leagues and especially the Friday columns. You're in for a treat. Enjoy, and welcome to the HQ brotherhood!
              "Specious apologist" for everything Yankees and newly-elected Hall of Famer, five-time World Champion, five-time Gold Glove Award winner, and captain of the Bronx Bombers for twelve seasons - # 2, the great Derek "Just Enough" Jeter

___________ "Maybe it was a computer glitch." - Derek Jeter, upon learning that he had won a Gold Glove ____________

Founder/Commissioner, "Lou Piniella League" est'd 1988 & "LPL 2.0" est'd 2020
              Snake, Mixed, Keeper, 34-man Rosters (15H, 11P, 8 Reserves)
              Owner, DIAMOND CUTTERS - 10X Champions (1988-'89, 1992,'95, 2000-'01-'02, 2013,'15,'18)

Comment

Scott,

As one of the resident straight draft guys here, let me first direct you to this recent column, which was a review of how our straight draft prep fared in 2005. In this column is a link to the main straight draft strategy piece from last March. In THAT column are some links to the roots of the strategy. If you start there and jump around through the links, you should get a pretty decent primer into our straight draft theory... that'll get you up to speed for this year's edition, coming in late February.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Thanks Ray!
                  For 5 years I've been wandering aimlessly(and still having fun but never winning) ,but this is what I've been looking for. Thank you!
                  Next I'm going to tackle an auction league. I only wish I could find a local one to meet up with some guys and sit face to face with for a draft.

Comment

Online Auction drafts

If you want a good site for online auction draft leagues, see mocksports.com. They always have league openings in March.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions guys. I'm printing and putting in a binder.

Comment

Working...
                      X