run support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• run support

I've been reading the 2003 Forecaster lately, and have just read that run support is THE most important variable in predicting wins for a pitcher. So how come it's not listed in each pitchers box along with all their other past stats? You've got wins, losses, S%, etc, etc, etc. But not the most important variable in win prediction? I don't get it. Even if it's not the most important variable concerning pure skill, it surely still warrents a place, doesn't it? Am I missing something? Thanks

Run support is totally unrelated to the pitcher in the American League and virtually unrelated to the pitcher in the NL (a couple of very good hitting pitchers might be able to affect overall run support). There's no predictability going forward with the stat. Thus, you can have situations where Russ Ortiz gets great run support and Greg Maddux terrible run support. This means Ortiz will win more games than Maddux, BUT there's no reason to believe that going forward this will continue.

I leave it to someone from HQ to confirm this, but I think the reason Forecaster noted this variable was to alert the reader to the fact there's no guarantee with any prediction. Mussina can pitch great game after great game, but he won't win if the Yankees don't score when he's pitching.

Comment

Working...
    X