Custom Valuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Valuator

The custom valuator is REALLY Screwed up right now.

Run a 10 team standard 4x4 and look at the hitter values.... There is a drop off from $7 to $0..

Anyways take a look - it is unusable and it's been the 2nd week in a row.

I think the question is, is it screwed up or is it actually being worked on?

The dollar values fall to 0.00 after the last hitter rostered. So in a 10 team 4x4 with 14 hitters, the hitter listed at number 141 has a value of 0.00. Which is as it should be IMO. These lists, while helpful during the season, are generally used for drafting/auctioning. In that regard, players should have a value of 0.00 if they are not ranked high enough to be rostered in the draft.

(Then again, the last player listed shouldnt have a value of $7 either as no one will draft the last batter in the auction at $7. That batter will go for $1.)

Or maybe I'm wrong and they are screwed up.

Comment

As the sample size of data gets smaller each year, the numbers put out by the custom valuator get a little out of whack. We will be rewritting this function in the offseason, perhaps earlier.

Comment

It still doesn't make sense that that 140th player is $7 and the 141st is $0... This problem only started 2 weeks ago.

Run a 14-tm league and compare the results to Ron's projection sheet. You will be shocked!

Also, I pull the custom values into a spreadsheet and use the player name as the lookup key. Unfortunately, the spelling of many players names is different on HQ's weekly projections versus the custom valuator. Examples:

Brad Hawpre
        Christian Guzman
        Damian Easley
        Dave Williams
        Russ Branyan
        .... and more.

Can this be fixed please!??

Thanks.

Comment

Concerns

Then we get the e-mail from Baseball HQ today that they aren't going to work on the Custom Valuator any more this year. It is very frustrating for me since I rely on the valuator a lot through the year to evaluate roster moves, trades, players to pick up and drop, etc. I love Baseball HQ, but does this latest note mean we can no longer rely on the valuator for the rest of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by EnRogue
            It still doesn't make sense that that 140th player is $7 and the 141st is $0... This problem only started 2 weeks ago.
            Actually, the way the values tail off at the end of the player pool has been a problem since the spring. As Doug said above, I think it's just being exacerbated by the small sample sizes in the remaining projections.

Run a 14-tm league and compare the results to Ron's projection sheet. You will be shocked!
            A 14-team mixed league is going to be very different from a 12-team AL or 13-team NL, which is what the projections are based on.

The reality here is that, as we get this late in the season, you should be relying on the projections less and less anyway. The remaining sample sizes are so small that there is going to be a lot of volatility in them. There's a reason our last projection update is the first week of September.

Also, I pull the custom values into a spreadsheet and use the player name as the lookup key. Unfortunately, the spelling of many players names is different on HQ's weekly projections versus the custom valuator. Examples:

Brad Hawpre
            Christian Guzman
            Damian Easley
            Dave Williams
            Russ Branyan
            .... and more.
            If you post a full list of player name mismatches, I'll see what I can do to get them fixed. Obviously that shouldn't be happening.

Comment

Working...
            X