Pitcher/Hitter Values' Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitcher/Hitter Values' Question

Putting aside category needs, is there a good indicator or particular column that one can use to evaluate a pitcher for hitter trade offer? For example, I notice that hitters tend to have higher values than pitchers. Is a $14 hitter the same value as a $14 pitcher? If not, is there a standard ratio to use as a rule of thumb? Thanks.

If you put aside category needs, you are entirely mssing the point of trading. Acquiring a $40 slugger for a $12 pitcher is no use to you if you already project to win HRs and RBI and are struggling in the pitching stats.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ
      If you put aside category needs, you are entirely mssing the point of trading. Acquiring a $40 slugger for a $12 pitcher is no use to you if you already project to win HRs and RBI and are struggling in the pitching stats.
      But if it's early enough in the season, you might not have a great sense of what your category needs are. I think gjotr's question has merit - having a sense of 'value in a vacuum' can be useful in April/May.

Comment

True, I guess. But that's why you need to project your league--identify opportunities.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ
          True, I guess. But that's why you need to project your league--identify opportunities.
          I agree. Calculating standings impact is often the difference between an average owner and a good owner (and between a good owner and a great owner).

But taking the "best available player" regardless of need (like NFL teams sometimes brag about) can be a valid strategy in the early goings, especially if trading markets in your league are fluid enough for recapitalization of value.

At the very least, 'value in a vacuum' shouldn't be rejected as irrelevant. It can be a good tool to add to the arsenal.

Comment

Yes, I understand the category analysis needed when evaluating a team but . here is a good example of what I am talking about:
            I was offered Carlos Lee and Kevin Millwood for Johann Santana and Aaron Boone. Assuming Lee and Santana are the main pieces of the deal, how do you analyze the Boone/Milwood portion if they are both $14 players and putting category needs aside. We have a 14 player reserve and trying to gather the best players available at this point. Most of my category needs have been addressed and players such as Boone/Millwood are not going to make a tremendous impact on our teams.

Comment

Working...
            X