links inside threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• links inside threads

Ok. Taught myself how to quote from another thread now. Very cool. Got myself an avatar - also cool. Working on looking like a vet. But how do you put those neat "see this thread" references in there, such that you can click on this thread and get sent there?

Easy. See the http button when you're writing your post? Click it. The first thing you will be prompted for is the text you want to appear for your link, like "Click here." The second thing you will be prompted for is the URL (enter the complete URL: http://blah.com).

If you just want to show the URL itself as a link, simply type it in the body of your message, and it gets changed to a link. See that blah.com link above? I just typed that in like any other word, and it got converted into a clickable link.

OK, your assignment now is to reply to my post with a link!

Comment

Rockin and rollin' now. I'm ecstatic. See my latest posting in this thread.

Thanks much.

So, when I want to put smilies and the like in, or, for example, the link above, I get an "ungraphical" version in the actual message window and have to preview my posting to see if it looks the way I'm hoping it will when I post it. Is that normal?

And what do the #, PHP, and List buttons do? I can see CODE, PHP CODE and Ordered List when I drag my cursor over them, but don't have a clue what they mean, which I usually take as a "don't try this at home" type signal......

Comment

Forgot to mention that it hadn't occurred to me that a thread actually had a URL address. Duh. You're dealing with a user here that knew how to link to a URL from a different domain, and couldn't figure out how to link to a thread in the same domain.
        Sometime I can make the simplest stuff complicated. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by thfenn

And what do the #, PHP, and List buttons do? I can see CODE, PHP CODE and Ordered List when I drag my cursor over them, but don't have a clue what they mean, which I usually take as a "don't try this at home" type signal......
          Somehow your post reminded me of an old Ren and Stimpy cartoon where the obnoxious , over-bearing announcer kept telling Stimpy not to push the RED button , the BIG SHINEY RED button , the BEAUTIFUL RED button , or something like that. Anyway , I'm curious to read an explanation of those as well.
          \" Quit clouding the issues with the facts! \" Davitt - 07/06/05

\" What we don\'t know , we explain to each other\" J. R. Oppenheimer speaking to fellow physicist Greg Breit.

Ron V's new signature line, "It's drivel, but it's diligent, sleep-deprived drivel!" Patioboater 1/14/06

Comment

(Hi Ron V). Seems we're on hold with this one for the moment - I'm sure we'll hear something at some point......

Comment

I'm about to use the # button to enter some text...
              Code:
              This is monospaced text, useful for showing columns of numbers.
              Now I'm going to use the List button...
              • First item in my bullet list
              • Second item in my bullet list

Finally, I'm going to use the PHP button...
              PHP Code:
              printf("Hello"); 
              This allows me to display code from a PHP script (a programming language), where certain keywords in the language are given a different color. Makes it easier to read source code.

Comment

Originally posted by thfenn
                So, when I want to put smilies and the like in, or, for example, the link above, I get an "ungraphical" version in the actual message window and have to preview my posting to see if it looks the way I'm hoping it will when I post it. Is that normal?
                Yes. There is no way for you to type a picture of a smiley face. The program is configured to replace any occurrences of a colon followed by a right parenthesis with a picture of a smiley face. If you click the smiley face, that's what you see. You could also type the colon and the parenthesis yourself, and you'd still get a smiley face!

Comment

Great. I'm guessing I never use the PHP one, but I'll bet it's useful to some. There was a time and place when I would have been all over that puppy, but not anymore.

Thanks much.

Comment

You have now graduated to "power poster" status.

Comment

Working...
                    X