Regarding VLOOKUP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding VLOOKUP

Smooth sailing with the EXCEL set-up until I got to VLOOKUPs. In the discussion, Patrick wrote:

"With your players listed, you're ready to do your first VLOOKUP. In cell C5, the first one under "HR", enter:

=VLOOKUP($A5,AL_H_031805,13,FALSE)

I'm confused by the statements "in" and "under" -- Should I choose "In cell C5" or " the first one under "HR" Isn't the one under C5...C6?

Well, I've tried entering the formula in cell C5 as requested, got a #name error; I've tried the one under C5 and got the same results.

For those of us (maybe just me) that didn't get it quite right, what do you suggest?
    Owner: Yanku Doodles (Victor League 4X4 NL), CPO Feller (Fugitives 4X4 AL), WuyzGuyz (Boys of Summer 6X6 Mixed), Arizona Copper Kings (Robin Roberts SIM Dynasty Speed League), and Philadelphia Patriots (Ozzie Smith SIM Dynasty Speed League).

I believe it should go in C6. And the first item in the VLOOKUP statement should be $A6. I still couldn't get it work when I amde these canges so instead of just the name of the worksheet in the statement I had to actually select it. This is the command I used and it seemed to work:

=VLOOKUP($A6,new_name!1:65536,13,FALSE)

Hope this helps.

Comment

I thought this got fixed. The VLOOKUP formula shoud be

VLOOKUP(cell with batter name,database range,column being looked up,FALSE).

If the titles are in Row 5, then the VLOOKUP is indeed

=VLOOKUP($A6,AL_H_031805,13,FALSE), assuming that the database range is named AL_H_031805 and that HRs are the 13th column in that database, counting from the player names as the first column.

If you are getting a #NAME error, then there is something wrong with the AL_H_031805 database name. Other errors in VLOOKUPs return #N/A errors.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Working...
      X