BallPark Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BallPark Indicators

I absolutely love this feature but as I use it a question comes to mind.

are these numbers based solely on percentage above or below the league average ?

or do they somehow take into affect the home team?

because obviously the results would be skewed significantly if a particular home team had say 2-3 very good RH power hitters.

maybe they EXCLUDE all home teams which would seem to be a good idea. There is no mention anywhere so I'm hoping somebody can answer this for me.

Thanks

I'd also like to know the specifics of the Ballpark Tendencies, if the data is collected any differently than say, what Bill James has.

Also have a couple of questions about it. First, are the %'s for BBs and Ks really reliable? I don't really see how a ballpark could really affect those numbers, though I could be wrong (perhaps some backround objects keep hitters from swinging or distract them?)

Also, I think perhaps the Tendencies are undervaluing BA. While it may be technically right to say Coors increases BA by 15%, the actual effect is somewhat greater b/c most hitters hit between .240-.340 or so. Case in point, from playing the Coors splits for awhile, I've noticed that Coors helps a fantasy teams BA more than HR.
    \"Smile while you\'re makin\' it,
    Laugh while you\'re takin\' it,
    Even though you\'re fakin\' it,
    Nobody\'s gonna know.\"

Comment

The park factors are essentially the same as used in the Bill James Handbook. They measure what the home team and its opponents accomplished at home as compared to what the same team and its opponents accomplished on the road. So all biases should be filtered out.

As for BB and K, yes, background sight lines havde a huge impact on that. That's why Shea Stadium has always tended to play as a pitcher's park -- there's nothing in the field dimensions or atmospheric conditions to warrant that tendency.

RON@HQ

Comment

Working...
      X