2020 Forecaster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Forecaster question

I noticed that in the player boxes for batters, RC/G is no longer presented. I have always used this metric as part of my analysis; is there something that replaces that this year?

I am also used to using BPV - why was this replaced by BPX? Is it a better indicator?

Thanks,

Saul

Hi, Saul. I'll let someone else answer your first question. Ray is very active on these message boards and heavily involved with the Forecaster, so chances are high that he'll respond here.

However, your second question has already been answered. See point #4 in this article: https://www.baseballhq.com/content/g...aters-bookmark In this strikeout heavy era, batters' BPV have dropped so low that the scale is no longer intuitive.
    "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

So, while I know everyone likes to jump right to the player pages, we did actually take the time to explain the changes to the player box. That's covered in some detail on page 11. Make sure to check that out. The BPV vs. BPX explanation is there.

Regarding RC/G... bascially, we cut it for space. RAR is based on RC/G, just adjusted for the replacement level of each position. So it basically represents the same thing. Note that we did keep RC/G in the projection files that accompany the book, so when we post those in January you'll still have the projected RC/G there.

Comment

Thanks Michael! I actually had printed out that article, but didn't have a chance to read it....until now!

Comment

Thanks Ray.

Another great job, always looking to improve the product!

Saul

Comment

Originally posted by SaulB View Post
            Thanks Ray.

Another great job, always looking to improve the product!

Saul
            That's the idea! We know change is always a little disorienting, but it had been several years since we played with the format of the player box, and we think this year's shuffling is very much for the better. Hope you agree!

Comment

Working...
            X