laboratory project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laboratory project

I am curious about the laboratory project. When will it be completed?

Roland

I'll be reporting on the different projects in my column over the next few weeks.

RON@HQ

Comment

Hi Ron,

Thanks...I look forward to it...I have thought about going to and "almost all offense", spending the big money on the top hitters and base stealsers like A-Rod, Manny, Carl Crawford, etc. and then filling the rest of the offense with sleepers of various types...and with a cheap pitching staff...maybe a top closer.

More of a personal thing...but I thought you during the recent flooding in Virginia...I hope that you missed it.

Roland

Comment

Originally posted by Roland
        Hi Ron,

Thanks...I look forward to it...I have thought about going to and "almost all offense", spending the big money on the top hitters and base stealsers like A-Rod, Manny, Carl Crawford, etc. and then filling the rest of the offense with sleepers of various types...and with a cheap pitching staff...maybe a top closer.
        Actually, I think the lab results will show that risk-spreading on offense and "stars&scrubs" on pitching may be the better approach. I'll be running the final numbers soon.

More of a personal thing...but I thought you during the recent flooding in Virginia...I hope that you missed it.

Roland
        We were all safe here, but it was touch and go for awhile. We live on a mountain with only two access roads. One of the roads got closed down from a mudslide, but luckily the other one was accessible. Thanks for asking.

RON@HQ

Comment

Roland are you in a AL only league?

I tried the reverse of this in an NL only league.I had a star studded pitching staff with an ok offense.And that theory went down the toilet.I dominated pitching but had no offense and couldnt find anyone to deal with in my league.

I had in 2003

Prior
          Wood
          Oswalt
          Morris
          Schilling

and wagner,worrell, and borowski for saves.

And I couldnt deal any of these guys

Comment

Yes, I am in an AL-only league...auction type...generally following standard Roti rules...

It has always been my objective to draft a few "scrubs" and have them blossom as stars...

Last year was a disaster as I spent most of the money on hitters, but Jason Giambi, Jay Gibbons, Rich Auerilia, John Olerud, essentially tanked for me for one reason or other. Some pitching scrubs that developed were Ryan Drese and Jake Westbrook...but Joaquin Benoit adn Jody Davis didn't develop as I would have liked.

My excuse was that I was out of the country for nine months, and so very busy that I essentially missed an entire baseball season...and I returned a week before my draft... but even if I had researched it for months, the Giambi, Gibbons, etc. problems could not be foreseen.

Comment

In my NL only keeper league.My main objective the past few years is to draft 2 out of our 6 taxi squad members t be star minor leagues.Past few yrs i have drafted reyes,wright and prior.But also had weeks this past yr--didnt pan out to well.

With giambi you might have ben able to tell.I kinda had a feeling it would be a bad yr when i saw him in spring training and he looked liked he dropped 20-25 lbs and he said he was the same weight.Wasnt a good sign.You couldnt have known with the other guys

Comment

Originally posted by circle360
                I tried the reverse of this in an NL only league.I had a star studded pitching staff with an ok offense.And that theory went down the toilet.I dominated pitching but had no offense and couldnt find anyone to deal with in my league.
                I tried the identical strategy 5 or 6 years ago with the same dismal results, except I didn't even win the pitching categories.

MORAL: You can't trust pitching.
                What's the rumpus?

Comment

Tom.My downfall in this theory was other sleeper pitchers. Which seems to happen more in pitching then hitting every yr. Just look at the majority of the cardinals starting rotation this yr

Comment

Absolutely. I spent about about $180 on pitching that year trying to be a contrarian theory and two other teams ended up with better pitching staffs. Not only their sleepers but my "sure thing" pitchers having horrible years.

Never again.
                    What's the rumpus?

Comment

I know Tom.I spent 2 months trading off my pitchers to get some hitters.Now I just keep 2 stud pitchers one top closer and the other 5 hitters.Pitching is too unpredictable

Comment

Working...
                      X