yahoo fantasy sports scoring system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yahoo fantasy sports scoring system

I would like to get a neutral opinion on my situation. I'm in a 14 team 5x5 mixed league and we have daily roster moves. We play through yahoo fantasy sports. We have a maximum limit of IP from the entire staff of 1250. Here is what yahoo had to say about the rule on the site:

Each non-pitching spot on your roster (not each player) allows for a maximum number of games played, while your entire pitching staff has a total inning limit.

The table above shows you how many of each you have used, how many you have remaining, your projected pace and the maximum allowed.

Once you exceed the maximum, you will no longer accumulate stats for the position.

Here is the dispute... The guy in second place (who actually just jumped ahead of me yesterday) was credited with all the stats for 1259.2 IP, 9.2 more than the maximum. Apparently yahoo's software was unable to track the exact moment that the maximum was reached and so it credited him with all stats for all IP for the entire day. Here are the issues that I would like people's opinion on:

1. I think it is crystal clear, but anyway... The rules states that "Once you exceed the maximum, you will no longer accumulate stats for the position". Shouldn't this apply in real-time? If the limit is 1250 IP shouldn't that be a hard limit. Does it imply anywhere in the rule that it is 1250 but actually 1250 plus any other IP accumulated during the day that the limit was breached?

2. Shouldn't the IP maximum be filled in a chronological manner? My opponent had 7 innings left. Zambrano went first for him and pitched 5.2 innings. Nathan then itched 2 innings. Later that evening, oswalt pitched 7 more innings and picked up a win, 6 k's and lowered his era by .01 and whip by .01. I feel as though Zambrano's 5.2 and 1.1 of nathan's IP should count and all of oswalt's stats should not. My opponent feels that if indeed the cap is a hard cap at 1250, he should be able to choose the 7 IP. I feel as though it should be real time and there should be no choice involved.

3. Although I've written to yahoo, I have serious doubts as to if they will fix this. If a rule is clearly stated, but not enforced by the software/scoring company, shouldn't the commish have the authority to overrule it? If the rules are clear, then I don't feel a major error by the yahoo should decide who wins or loses. I feel as though the commish has the power to enforce the rules of ou league. My opponent says that since we chose yahoo, whatever yahoo says should be the end all, inal decision. So is that to mean if somehow yahoo gave delgado 980 rbis rather than 98, and refused to fix it that we should all live by that error, even when the league members could fix it?

My opponent gained 3 points in the standings just from oswalt's outing. It's 1500$ on he line here. any opinions (especially from @HQ people) would be greatly appreciated.

As you present the rule, it appears you are correct. BUT, I think the way Yahoo has interpreted the rule makes practical sense -- especially for Yahoo. In the scenario that occurred, it's pretty clear Oswalt pitched last, but what if Oswalt and Zambrano were pitching contemporaneously. It would be very difficult to determine when to shut both of them off. If it were up to me, I'd press Yahoo for a determination on how Yahoo has interpreted the rule in the past.

Also is this the first time this year this has happened -- I'm assuming others have gone over 1250 at some point earlier this year. If so, were the stats counted -- did anyone object at that time? If not, it's a little late to be complaining now. This would also apply if you've used Yahoo before this season -- what happened last year when someone went over during the course of the day?
    "What we need in the United Stated is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence and lawlessness but is love, and wisdom and compassion toward one another and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or whether they be black." -- Robert F. Kennedy, April 4, 1968, from a flatbed truck in Indianapolis, as he informed the crowd of the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Phil's point about Oswalt and Zambrano pitching at the same time is a good one. Would you use mix-and-match to select the best seven innings?

I understand how you feel, but if Oswalt had gotten bombed, costing your opponent some points, would you feel differently? You might -- especially since the rules are ambiguous.

Comment

The guy I'm battling was the first person this year to go over so we didn't have any precedent. And I've played in a yahoo league for 4 years now, but I frankly can't remember what they did in past seasons because it never affected the outcome of a leauge champion. I understand what tom is saying about hindsight, but my major disagreement is that I dont think i is ambiguous. I think it is clear what the rulessaid, and altough it may pesent logistical difficulty, that was how it was laid out. I actually foolishly benched sheets and started arroyo because I had only 6.1 innings left and I needed a win more than anything else. I thought arroyo vs balt had a better chance for a win than sheets vs the cards and I interpreted the rules as it was written. If I had known that I could start both and go over my requirement, I absolutely would have. And regarding the logistics, I dont think its that hard. Even if they pitched at the same time, once an out is recorded into the stats feed, that is 1/3 IP. You can take it incrementally and once the limit is reached, you can sort of "turn off" the pitching stats.

Bottom line is that I feel that rules are written very clearly, and they were not interpreted in that way. I would hate to be the "sore loser" here but I played by the set of rules that were clearly stated and it turned out to be different. I truly feel that there is an injustice.

Comment

I can tell you from using Yahoo! last season that the way they interpreted the rules this season is the same way they did it last season. For that reason, I think you have to live with what they did. It is highly likely someone went over the innings pitched minimum last season and nothing was done about it. I would let the way Yahoo! does it stand for this season no matter what effect it has on the standings.

As for next season, if your league configuration is staying the same- 14 teams, mixed- then I'd suggest going to weekly transactions so that maximum innings pitched is not needed.

Comment

Working...
          X