Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worlds Oldest 5x5 Roto NL Only auction league needs a few owners. Birmingham AL area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds Oldest 5x5 Roto NL Only auction league needs a few owners. Birmingham AL area

About 10 years ago, I joined the tripartite, which is one of the oldest fantasy baseball leagues in existence. Some of the members have been playing fantasy baseball since the times you sent in your rosters weekly to usa today and they accumulated stats for you. We have an in person draft in the birmingham AL area so you would have to be able to do a draft usually the saturday before opening day. IF you are looking for a serious league with long term keepers and owners, let me know. Usually we do not have any openings, but this year for various reasons, we will have 3 openings. All of the teams will have a good amount of keeper value to build.

The league is a traditional 5X5 roto with 260 dollars for auction and 100 fa bidding money. contact me if interested. sneakyquick@gmail.com
    thanks,
    Adam

What was the first year of your league?

Comment

Adam, what day would that make the draft, Bob

Comment

draft date

Originally posted by bowi8son View Post
        Adam, what day would that make the draft, Bob
        Its going to be on march 26th at 9 am

Comment

I am not sure I was sort of being dramatic, but I know for a fact that there are a few owners who used to send in the stats weekly to usatoday in the 1980s. Ill find out the exact year.

Comment

Originally posted by sneakyquick View Post
            I am not sure I was sort of being dramatic, but I know for a fact that there are a few owners who used to send in the stats weekly to usatoday in the 1980s. Ill find out the exact year.
            Thanks. I'm always interested in finding leagues that have been around a long time. I'm in a league that started in 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by agellin View Post
              Thanks. I'm always interested in finding leagues that have been around a long time. I'm in a league that started in 1985.
              We started our NL only in 1985, followed by our AL only in 1986. Read about it in the Sports Illustrate article in 1984 and rounded up 12 owners, 5 of whom are still in our league.

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Dr Dave View Post
                We started our NL only in 1985, followed by our AL only in 1986. Read about it in the Sports Illustrate article in 1984 and rounded up 12 owners, 5 of whom are still in our league.
                We have six of our original twelve from the spring of 1984....
                http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

Originally posted by usualsuspects View Post
                  Wow!...nice!...is there an '83 (or earlier) in the house?!

Comment

Originally posted by usualsuspects View Post
                    And a tip of my hat to you and your league.

Comment

Originally posted by agellin View Post
                      Wow!...nice!...is there an '83 (or earlier) in the house?!
                      When we have had this discussion several times in the past, the oldest league of any forum regular started in 1978, I believe. It definitely wasn't a Rotisserie scoring format, let alone "world's oldest 5x5 Roto" league.

Many, many leagues were in existence before the USA Today stat service started. If you think about that, the need had already grown to be fairly sizeable before a commercial stat service would have started.
                      "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

The original Rotisserie book came out in 1984.

I won that year, and my fiercest original rival remains. 4 other owners date back to the 1980s, 4 to early 1990s, and the last two "new kids" joined in 2002.

I'd put our combined league tenure plus actual ages against any Roto league on earth. my original rival is 73, and not sure any owner at this point is not AARP-card eligible....
                        NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
                        our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
                        a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Dr Dave View Post
                          And a tip of my hat to you and your league.
                          Thanks. Not 100% sure if it is good or bad that half of us have not moved on to other hobbies since college though!
                          http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

I'm in an NL only 4x4 that started in 1983 in Tulsa. Still a handful of original owners. League still mostly follows original rules. Can only replace a player if injured or sent to minors. We didn't add FAAB until last year and that almost caused a riot with a few owners.
                            OkieDawgs Oxy League 12 TM NL Only Keeper Rotisserie Ultra
                            Spring Hill Bombers Tulsa Rotisserie Baseball League 12 TM NL Only Keeper Rotisserie 4x4
                            Vardaman Varmints Chatters Without Lives Rotoball League 20 Team Mixed Rotisserie Dynasty

Comment

I developed my fantasy baseball league (pre-roto) in 1978 in high school history class (the teacher was the varsity baseball coach). Been going yearly without interruption since 1983. I developed a points style league from daily box scores and weekly stats in the Sporting News.
                              [SIZE=10px]blueboy714[/SIZE]

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=8px]AMBL - cumulative points league with original rules established 1977 and continuous league since 1983 (40th consecutive year in 2023)
                              Lineup: Start 1-C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, Any Infielder, 3-OF, 1-OF/DH, 5-SP, 3-RP, 1-Any P and Reserves-11[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
                              [I][SIZE=8px][FONT=Arial]Our point scoring system is:
                              ++ Batting : R=1, H=1, 2B=1, 3B=2, HR=2, RBI=1, SB=1, CS=minus 1, BB=0.5, K=minus 0.5, E=minus 1
                              ++ Pitching : W=4.5, L=minus 3, Save=4.5, Hold=3, BS=minus 3, QS=1, IP=1.5, H=minus 0.5, ER=minus 0.5, BB=minus 0.5, K=0.5 [/FONT][/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X