Openings in NL-only and AL-only online rotisserie leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Openings in NL-only and AL-only online rotisserie leagues

Monsters of the NL News and One League Too Many are loosely-affiliated online keeper leagues, although there are slight rules differences between the two. (For the most part, the rules in both are based on the Book rules.) Monsters goes back to the late eighties, I believe, and OLTM is entering its tenth or so year. Monsters is NL-only and OLTM is AL-only. Both are 5x5 and conduct their auctions in onroto.com auction rooms. There are no fees for transactions beyond the initial membership buy-in. These are low-stakes leagues, so you aren't going to be out much if you want to try out a strategy that you'd be reluctant to use in a league that called for payment of serious money.

These are real rotisserie keeper leagues. We don't "stream" pitchers, set our lineups for the week, or keep score with wins versus losses against weekly opponents. Owners who are not going to be in the money sometimes decide to play for next year, which, in a keeper league, is as valid a strategy as playing for this year. While we probably don't have more trades than any similar leagues (and fewer than in some leagues in which i have participated), there is active trading, sometimes more in a given year and sometimes less. There are trade caps intended to dissuade "worst case" trades, but they don't discourage most trades, so there is some dumping. I point out these things in advance because we have had some owners not enjoy the traditional rotisserie format after competing in shallow redraft leagues or who were offended when their competitors traded for help in present-value-for-futures trades.

If, on the other hand, you know and enjoy traditional rotisserie leagues, you shouldn't find anything too surprising in these leagues. The only thing that's a bit quirky about them is that we use a transactions system that operates over two days each week rather than just one. On Mondays, we announce successful waiver claims and FAABs. On Tuesdays, we allow owners who were unable to complete a Monday transaction to pick from the remaining free agents for any natural roster openings that remain after the Monday transactions. (The rationale is that, with weekly transactions just on Monday, an owner whose FAABs and waivers all were unsuccessful might find himself or herself without an active player in an open spot for a full week. The Tuesday FA claims opportunity lets the owner see how he or she does on Monday before filling in on Tuesday if necessary. It's not complicated and, I promise, you'd get the hang of it quickly.)

Monsters needs to replace three owners if we are to stay at twelve. The fee in Monsters is $50 plus your pro-rata share of the Onroto.com service, which was about $9 last year. The auction usually occurs on the Sunday of "traditional" draft weekend, i.e., the first full weekend after Opening Day. The alternative is to go with ten teams and 25-man rosters. The auction occurs on the Sunday of "traditional" draft weekend, i.e., the first full weekend after Opening Day, so it's Sunday, April 12 this year, starting at noon Eastern, 9 am Pacific.

In OLTM, there is an owner who'd like to have someone take his team, but would keep it if we are unsuccessful. The fees are peanuts, i.e., $25 plus the pro-rata apportionment of Onroto.com's charges. The auction date "officially" has been the Saturday or Sunday of Opening Day weekend, but, most years, we've actually conducted it on a midweek evening (expanding to two nights if necessary). Subject to confirmation at our winter meeting on Sunday, February 15, I expect that we will draft on Tuesday night, April 7, with Wednesday, April 8, in reserve if we go too long on Tuesday. The likely start time is 8 pm Eastern, 5 pm Pacific.

We have some HQ guys in each league. They tend to do well.

If you're interested, please private message me or email me at MikeRubin2@aol.com. Thanks for your attention.
    Last edited by Mike Rubin; 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM.

Subject to later-developing auction conflicts, we have our owner for OLTM and one for Monsters. Still haven't nailed down the Monsters roster just yet.

Comment

Still could use a couple more owners for Monsters, the NL-only league. Let me know if you have questions.

Comment

We are full in both leagues now.

Comment

Working...
        X