Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball HQ Starting Pitcher Report

Default Baseball HQ Starting Pitcher Report

I see many errors on this. With a quick glance Ian Kennedy and AJ Burnett are listed as starting games 2 days in a row.

We get the matchups fed from our friends at OnRoto. Looks like some early-season glitches in the feed. We'll get it sorted out; thanks for the heads-up.

Not finding the Atlanta Braves on tomorrows pitching report....

The past several days this has not worked. Any clue a to when it might be fixed, or is it even reliable when it is eventually fixed?

We had some problems late last week, but I thought they were resolved. I didn't look last night, but as of this AM the Braves are all set and in general it looks fine on a quick review. Let me know if anything looks amiss.

It's worked fine for me each time I've used it.
    My team: 10-Team AL-Only Keeper: 5x5 (OBP & K-BB)

Hey Ray,

always liked this report. I have 1 small feature suggestion......where it lists the opposing SP in the matchup, it would be nice if it also listed their rating next to name. In daily leagues, it's sometimes nice to see the strength of the opposing SP, to gauge the chance for the elusive W. I assume this is the reason the Opp SP is listed so would just be taking it a step further with data already available.

I know I can go down and find his rating in his own matchup, so I realize it's a minor request. Just nice to see the total picture in all in that row.

one other request....could the SPR be prominently displayed on the home page? Probably just me but i lalways forget where it is and have to run a search for it.

Teams/Probable Starters.

Quote Originally Posted by TOLFG View Post
    Hey Ray,

always liked this report. I have 1 small feature suggestion......where it lists the opposing SP in the matchup, it would be nice if it also listed their rating next to name. In daily leagues, it's sometimes nice to see the strength of the opposing SP, to gauge the chance for the elusive W. I assume this is the reason the Opp SP is listed so would just be taking it a step further with data already available.

I know I can go down and find his rating in his own matchup, so I realize it's a minor request. Just nice to see the total picture in all in that row.
    Good call. I'll see about adding this.

I know its early, but has anyone else noticed how this report isn't even close to being accurate thus far?
    I've always liked to use it as advice for choosing which pitchers to stream, and last season it was quite helpful, while so far this year, it's been a disaster.

I've got an article running tomorrow that comes to a different conclusion, Little Mac. Obviously the sample size is trivial at this point. Plus it's running off of 2013 data right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    I know its early, but has anyone else noticed how this report isn't even close to being accurate thus far?
    I've always liked to use it as advice for choosing which pitchers to stream, and last season it was quite helpful, while so far this year, it's been a disaster.
    I was always under the impression that while it's interesting to look at, we should really ignore at least the 1st month. The sweet spot for using this report seems to be June/July/August. Granted, I have no data to support that, but that's been my observation from watching it since inception.

That, and I think we're in for another terrible year of stupid things all-around.

Why is it still all jacked-up?

Why is it still all jacked-up?
    What do you mean?

PQS vs Opp last year shows zeros for everyone
    H2H PTS: (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3OF,U,5SP,2RP)
    • 16 Team: It's all about the draft picks!

ROTO:
    • 12 Team Mixed 5x5 - I seem to enjoying finishing outside the money...

Quote Originally Posted by SgtVane View Post
    PQS vs Opp last year shows zeros for everyone
    Yeah, I don't think that will work until we roll the thing over to read from current year data. Right now it's treating 2013 as "this year" and 2012 as "last year", but I think we archived the 2012 data so it can't find it. We're probably two weeks from rolling it over to using 2014 data.

I always have trouble fighting the urge to stream pitchers. In the past, even early in the season last year, this feature was quite useful.
    This year, it's terrible, and I will ignore it henceforth.

I always have trouble fighting the urge to stream pitchers. In the past, even early in the season last year, this feature was quite useful.
    This year, it's terrible, and I will ignore it henceforth.
    Nothing's changed. All you are seeing is sample size variance. The track record is there, so "ignoring it henceforth" is really tossing the baby with the bath water, so to speak.

I am trying to figure out why Cueto rating is so low. He has pitched great the past 2 years, especially against Pittsburgh. Any explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by mwallach View Post
    I am trying to figure out why Cueto rating is so low. He has pitched great the past 2 years, especially against Pittsburgh. Any explanation?
    We're looking only at 2013 data, so.... only Cueto's road starts from 2013 would be taken into consideration for this rating. His six road starts last year were ratings of 0-4-5-0-0-4, for an average rating of 13/5 = 2.16

The Pirates, as shown in the report, have a 3.08 rating, so the final score comes from (2.16 - (5 - 3.08)) = (2.16 - 1.92) = 0.24

That's all that is involved. Pitcher's starts home or road, opposing offense home/road and right/left splits as appropriate. Nothing specific about Cueto's history vs. the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by RAY@HQ View Post
    Nothing's changed. All you are seeing is sample size variance. The track record is there, so "ignoring it henceforth" is really tossing the baby with the bath water, so to speak.
    You are correct.
    Early-season freak-outs are so hard to avoid.
    What I meant to say is, I should ignore it until we have a large-enough sample size, say one more month.

I am a little confused about the OPP team rating, the higher the worse the team is expected to do hitting wise. I assume since the pitchers are using this years stats, that opp team rating is using this years stats as well. If you look at the mets and the marlins today, the mets have a lower rating than the marlins, which means everything being equal they are expected to do better offensively. This is supposedly based on the average pqs of opposing pitchers home/away, and l/r. I find it hard to believe that the marlins who are scoring more runs than about everyone but the Rocks at home, but the pitchers are doing so well against them. Is there anywhere to see the individual game pqs ratings?

Also, I had been using the pitcher ratings to great success this year (for wagering and daily fantasy), when they were based on last year ratings, now that they have switched to this years ratings, the sample sizes are too small and for the most part the ratings are worthless. I would like to suggest that until June, you use an aggregate of this years and last years stats.

One last question. Is there anywhere on the site that you can see how teams do versus l/r home/away? On the starting pitcher report it appears the stats are only home and away and don't include l/r.

Your summary of the oppPQS number is entirely accurate, and yes, that's also based on 2014 data.

If you want to see the full PQS logs, you can go to Stats&Tools/Leading Indicators... download the full PQS report, and filter on the teams/splits you want to look at.

I agree it would be nice to be able to blend 2013/14 data at this point in the year, but we don't have that capability right now. We'll look into it though.

We don't have team L/R splits available, either... just home/road, as you've seen.