Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using microsoft access vs excel for auction prep

may be a newbie type question...
    i use Excel for my CDG results and then add other fields to it (such as keeper designation, league salaries, not es etc)

my issue becomes when CDG is updated i then manually have to start over adding my additional data with the new CDG results

i assume Excel, or maybe Access, allows for a more one-step, automated update using the player id #...my problem is i dont know how to do that.

can anyone help? and is Excel or Access a better tool? or something else?

thank you in advance for any help
    League 1: 5 x 5 std, 15-team mixed, $260 auction,14 hitters (2 C, 2U, the rest std), 9 pitchers (no defined roles, 950 inn. min, no max), 6 bench, 8 keepers, $100 FAAB Budget, league champ '05, '15, '17 '23!

One thing I have done is create my master list in Excel, then weekly CDG downloads to a new spreadsheet and using VLOOKUPS to pull in the new value into my master spreadsheet.

It mostly automated the process.
    MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

We have an Excel primer on the site. It's a bit dated in that it was written for older versions of both Excel and our projection files, but most of the principles still hold.

Comment

thanks...actually i found the excel primer using google seacrch "using excel for fantasy baseball"
        League 1: 5 x 5 std, 15-team mixed, $260 auction,14 hitters (2 C, 2U, the rest std), 9 pitchers (no defined roles, 950 inn. min, no max), 6 bench, 8 keepers, $100 FAAB Budget, league champ '05, '15, '17 '23!

Comment

I've spent a great deal of time designing an Access solution but every year at the last minute I revert back to my Excel sheets. With Access I always tend to overload myself with too much data. Just my .02 but Excel does a great job. Rotolab is a good option if you want something turn key.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel View Post
            may be a newbie type question...
            i use Excel for my CDG results and then add other fields to it (such as keeper designation, league salaries, not es etc)

my issue becomes when CDG is updated i then manually have to start over adding my additional data with the new CDG results

i assume Excel, or maybe Access, allows for a more one-step, automated update using the player id #...my problem is i dont know how to do that.

can anyone help? and is Excel or Access a better tool? or something else?

thank you in advance for any help
            Have you used the Web Query function for this? As NICK@HQ mentions, you can have the projections automatically load into a spreadsheet tab then vlookup them into your valuation sheet.

I do not know if that function can access the CDG however, since that depends on some entered fields to calculate on site. In IE you can use right click and "save to Excel" though.
            http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

appreciate all the help...havent tried web query, not sure what that is
              i have played around some with vlookup but havent had proper time to fully figure it out...tested some with controlled databases (master and new data have same exact players) but once my master and new database arent 100% same players i cant get it all to work by copying formualas across or down.
              i do use rotolab but was trying to use this in the interim.

Comment

Web Query is under the "Data" menu, might have to poke around a bit. Depending on your version might be "get external data" or something like that. Also doesn't work on a Mac, at least for Excel 2008.
                http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

I do the same, but use the MATCH and INDIRECT functions which uses player names (format; kershaw,clayton) as the linking mechanism.
                  12-team, 5x5, mixed, auction: 14b/11p/15 bench (any)

Comment

Working...
                  X