Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: RotoLab 2013 - Mac Support?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    1,883

    Default RotoLab 2013 - Mac Support?

    As the title suggests, does anyone know if RotoLab 2013 will have support for Macs? This would be a huge and welcomed upgrade IMO. If it's possible to make a perfect software better, this would do it

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Westwood, MA
    Posts
    47,749

    Default

    These sorts of questions should be directed to Merv at info@rotolab.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Thanks. Looking forward to the 2013 season but I need my RotoLab first! It's a must-have!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    For those wondering, this is Merv's response in regards to a 2013 Mac version:

    "I am working on a Mac version, probably a about a 50/50 shot it will be ready in mid-February, much more work than I had originally thought. Different Operating System, new compiler, tools and controls, and a different event model (how the program reacts to the user's input), meant re-writing much of the code. Very little could be ran through a mechanical translator. If it is not done (at least a somewhat limited version), it will be next year."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Ugh that was his same response last year. I would pay twice as much to use this program on my MBP, and I refuse to partition my MBP to run windows.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Westwood, MA
    Posts
    47,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncarlisle View Post
    Ugh that was his same response last year. I would pay twice as much to use this program on my MBP, and I refuse to partition my MBP to run windows.
    Nope, was not his response last year. He has made significant progress on it this offseason. It's getting close to happening now. He never dangled the possibility of a Mac release for last year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Assuming the worst here - what would you guys suggest as an alternative draft software?
    "Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world." Babe Ruth

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Westwood, MA
    Posts
    47,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoos Crazy Now View Post
    Assuming the worst here - what would you guys suggest as an alternative draft software?
    There is no alternative.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Totally agree.

    I used Rotochamp once, in the days before I'd heard of Rotolab, and it'll do if you just can't use RL. But it isn't nearly as powerful or comprehensive.
    ROTO: 14-team, 1-C, 3-OF, 1-Util, no MI/CI, daily transaction, 5x5 (OBP/QS) Mixed Keeper auction (keep max. of 5 at +$5 each year kept; no contracts, no salary ceiling, no minimum # kept)
    H2H: 12-team mixed, 1-C, 4-OF, 1-Util, weekly transaction. 5x5 plus: OBP, H, TB; QS, W-L, CG. Straight draft.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Re: alternatives, for the last few years I've run RotoLab on my mac via Parallels and an old license of XP I had running around. Works beautifully (although I'm still eager to test drive a native version).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    7,840

    Default

    There is Fantasy Baseball Draft Advisor available in the app store. You can't easily import HQ projections if that is important but other functionality is pretty good. Their projections (last year's; this year comes out 1/25) appear reasonable at a glance.

    Also Draft Analyzer is web based and platform independent. I've seen it but not demo'ed it.

    Rotochamp doesn't run on Mac OS.

    Or you could by a crummy used laptop for 50 bucks or so on eBay and run Rotolab.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,519

    Default

    The code itself is actually pretty far along, the editor screen is just about complete, roster screen is about 90% complete and the draft screen is coming along nicely. I've worked through most of the problems, and that just leaves a lot of regular porting work that is not overly difficult, but takes a lot of time. Packaging and install issues are another story. In any case doing everything I can to get something out in February. I am sure you guys would rather I not even do Football and Basketball and just do the baseball, but that's why I don't even ask. ;-)

    I understand you guys not wanting to partion the Macs to run Boot Camp, that is intrusive. But using Parallels, it is just another big file on the Mac, when you no longer want or need it, just put it in the trash and it was like it was never there. I have Parallels on my MacBook Pro and in full screen mode, you cannot tell you are on the Mac, other than some diferences with the Keyboard.

    The other alternative is to buy a cheal used Laptop, I think they can be had for $50 now, since Laptops are so cheap.

    -Merv
    RotoLab

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pate View Post
    The code itself is actually pretty far along, the editor screen is just about complete, roster screen is about 90% complete and the draft screen is coming along nicely. I've worked through most of the problems, and that just leaves a lot of regular porting work that is not overly difficult, but takes a lot of time. Packaging and install issues are another story. In any case doing everything I can to get something out in February. I am sure you guys would rather I not even do Football and Basketball and just do the baseball, but that's why I don't even ask. ;-)

    I understand you guys not wanting to partion the Macs to run Boot Camp, that is intrusive. But using Parallels, it is just another big file on the Mac, when you no longer want or need it, just put it in the trash and it was like it was never there. I have Parallels on my MacBook Pro and in full screen mode, you cannot tell you are on the Mac, other than some diferences with the Keyboard.

    The other alternative is to buy a cheal used Laptop, I think they can be had for $50 now, since Laptops are so cheap.

    -Merv
    RotoLab
    Exactly what I just did -- bought a cheap laptop!
    Last edited by fastpitch; 01-06-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarify

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    I can just see myself explaining that delivery to my wife.

    "Why we do have a second laptop that's 5 years old?"
    "Uh...that's my draft computer."

    The reply would undoubtedly be a silent but eloquent series of eye rolls, sighs, and head shakes.
    ROTO: 14-team, 1-C, 3-OF, 1-Util, no MI/CI, daily transaction, 5x5 (OBP/QS) Mixed Keeper auction (keep max. of 5 at +$5 each year kept; no contracts, no salary ceiling, no minimum # kept)
    H2H: 12-team mixed, 1-C, 4-OF, 1-Util, weekly transaction. 5x5 plus: OBP, H, TB; QS, W-L, CG. Straight draft.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,519

    Default

    wife...RotoLab...wife...RotoLab?? I remember when the questions posed on this forum were a bit more challenging.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    7,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeup View Post
    I can just see myself explaining that delivery to my wife.

    "Why we do have a second laptop that's 5 years old?"
    "Uh...that's my draft computer."

    The reply would undoubtedly be a silent but eloquent series of eye rolls, sighs, and head shakes.
    You only need a 10 year old laptop! Maybe as you explain how much cheaper it is compared to buying windows emulation software for your Mac her eyes will just glaze over and you'll be in the clear!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Will we ever see a version for an IPad?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,519

    Default

    One thing working BADLY against an iPad version is apps are sold through the Apple App Store and Apple takes a 30% cut right off the top. Not exactly inviting. There is a saying in development circles that tablet apps are created to sell tablets, not make developers money. For every Angry Birds story, there are thousands of apps that the developers wished they hadn't ventured into. And that is mass market apps, for niche market apps like this the going is even tougher. Will just have to look at things after I get the Mac version done.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post
    her eyes will just glaze over and you'll be in the clear!
    I rely on this tactic pretty often.
    ROTO: 14-team, 1-C, 3-OF, 1-Util, no MI/CI, daily transaction, 5x5 (OBP/QS) Mixed Keeper auction (keep max. of 5 at +$5 each year kept; no contracts, no salary ceiling, no minimum # kept)
    H2H: 12-team mixed, 1-C, 4-OF, 1-Util, weekly transaction. 5x5 plus: OBP, H, TB; QS, W-L, CG. Straight draft.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncarlisle View Post
    Ugh that was his same response last year. I would pay twice as much to use this program on my MBP, and I refuse to partition my MBP to run windows.
    I asked the same question last year. RotoLab for Mac was not happening. He said he wasn't close but was going to work on it in "the offseason." He didn't want to promise me anything at the time, but he did say that he hoped it would be a possibility. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it looks like he's done a lot of work and made up a lot of ground. Whatever happens, I appreciate his efforts. RotoLab is incredible software.

  21. #21

    Default

    Since adding a non work related piece of software is forbidden on my work PC and my wife has a Mac, I dust of a very old laptop that my wife kick to the curb many years ago when the draft season rolls around. The old laptop is affectionally called "Super Computer" by my league members because you literally need two hands to carry it. Unfortunately the Super Computer will just shut down on a moments notice with no warning - as it did several times during the draft last year. Fortunately I hard a hard copy of Rotolab and I managed to win my 14 team league despite my conversative money spending nature. Because I am thin skinned, I might go the "buy a cheap PC route" this year vs. another year of verbal abuse. I am still trying to process the whole thing. Bottom line: Be Prepared and Buy Rotolab...
    Windy City
    2002, 2009, 2012 & 2014 Dual County League Champion

    14 Team Mix 4-Player Keeper League - Snake Draft
    Hitting: BA, HR, RBI's, Steals, R, OBP and TB
    Pitching: Wins, K's, ERA, WHIP, S, Innings and Quality Starts

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clemson, SC
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pate View Post
    One thing working BADLY against an iPad version is apps are sold through the Apple App Store and Apple takes a 30% cut right off the top. Not exactly inviting. There is a saying in development circles that tablet apps are created to sell tablets, not make developers money. For every Angry Birds story, there are thousands of apps that the developers wished they hadn't ventured into. And that is mass market apps, for niche market apps like this the going is even tougher. Will just have to look at things after I get the Mac version done.
    I don't know about other, but I'd pay extra for an iPad app.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimTurkey View Post
    I don't know about other, but I'd pay extra for an iPad app.
    I second that!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Going to reset my own comment from last year re: iPads and Rotolab: "Just an FYI - last year I used the iPad "TeamViewer" app to access my desktop remotely on draft day. I'm told the app is like go2MyPC, but for an iPad. I've never used go2MyPC, but TeamViewer worked like a charm. Pretty sure the app is still free for non-commercial use. Great workaround for those of us who like tablets and can't wait for Merv to come up with an IOS platform. (Slacker)."

    So long story short: if you can load Rotolab onto a PC, you can later access it via your iPad. Give yourself about 20 minutes to learn the right "screenstrokes," and you're golden. I've done it three years running now.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Any update here?

Similar Threads

  1. run support
    By iamlove in forum Editorial HelpLine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 07:21 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •