RotoLab 2013 - Mac Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RotoLab 2013 - Mac Support?

As the title suggests, does anyone know if RotoLab 2013 will have support for Macs? This would be a huge and welcomed upgrade IMO. If it's possible to make a perfect software better, this would do it

These sorts of questions should be directed to Merv at info@rotolab.com

Comment

Thanks. Looking forward to the 2013 season but I need my RotoLab first! It's a must-have!!

Comment

For those wondering, this is Merv's response in regards to a 2013 Mac version:

"I am working on a Mac version, probably a about a 50/50 shot it will be ready in mid-February, much more work than I had originally thought. Different Operating System, new compiler, tools and controls, and a different event model (how the program reacts to the user's input), meant re-writing much of the code. Very little could be ran through a mechanical translator. If it is not done (at least a somewhat limited version), it will be next year."

Comment

Ugh that was his same response last year. I would pay twice as much to use this program on my MBP, and I refuse to partition my MBP to run windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ncarlisle View Post
            Ugh that was his same response last year. I would pay twice as much to use this program on my MBP, and I refuse to partition my MBP to run windows.
            Nope, was not his response last year. He has made significant progress on it this offseason. It's getting close to happening now. He never dangled the possibility of a Mac release for last year.

Comment

Assuming the worst here - what would you guys suggest as an alternative draft software?
              "Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world." Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Hoos Crazy Now View Post
                Assuming the worst here - what would you guys suggest as an alternative draft software?
                There is no alternative.

Comment

Totally agree.

I used Rotochamp once, in the days before I'd heard of Rotolab, and it'll do if you just can't use RL. But it isn't nearly as powerful or comprehensive.
                  ROTO: 12-team, 1-C, 3-OF, 1-Util, no MI/CI, daily transaction, 5x5 (OBP/QS) Mixed, Keeper auction (keep max. of 5 players at +$5 each year kept)

Comment

Re: alternatives, for the last few years I've run RotoLab on my mac via Parallels and an old license of XP I had running around. Works beautifully (although I'm still eager to test drive a native version).

Comment

There is Fantasy Baseball Draft Advisor available in the app store. You can't easily import HQ projections if that is important but other functionality is pretty good. Their projections (last year's; this year comes out 1/25) appear reasonable at a glance.

Also Draft Analyzer is web based and platform independent. I've seen it but not demo'ed it.

Rotochamp doesn't run on Mac OS.

Or you could by a crummy used laptop for 50 bucks or so on eBay and run Rotolab.
                      http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

The code itself is actually pretty far along, the editor screen is just about complete, roster screen is about 90% complete and the draft screen is coming along nicely. I've worked through most of the problems, and that just leaves a lot of regular porting work that is not overly difficult, but takes a lot of time. Packaging and install issues are another story. In any case doing everything I can to get something out in February. I am sure you guys would rather I not even do Football and Basketball and just do the baseball, but that's why I don't even ask. ;-)

I understand you guys not wanting to partion the Macs to run Boot Camp, that is intrusive. But using Parallels, it is just another big file on the Mac, when you no longer want or need it, just put it in the trash and it was like it was never there. I have Parallels on my MacBook Pro and in full screen mode, you cannot tell you are on the Mac, other than some diferences with the Keyboard.

The other alternative is to buy a cheal used Laptop, I think they can be had for $50 now, since Laptops are so cheap.

-Merv
                        RotoLab

Comment

Originally posted by pate View Post
                          The code itself is actually pretty far along, the editor screen is just about complete, roster screen is about 90% complete and the draft screen is coming along nicely. I've worked through most of the problems, and that just leaves a lot of regular porting work that is not overly difficult, but takes a lot of time. Packaging and install issues are another story. In any case doing everything I can to get something out in February. I am sure you guys would rather I not even do Football and Basketball and just do the baseball, but that's why I don't even ask. ;-)

I understand you guys not wanting to partion the Macs to run Boot Camp, that is intrusive. But using Parallels, it is just another big file on the Mac, when you no longer want or need it, just put it in the trash and it was like it was never there. I have Parallels on my MacBook Pro and in full screen mode, you cannot tell you are on the Mac, other than some diferences with the Keyboard.

The other alternative is to buy a cheal used Laptop, I think they can be had for $50 now, since Laptops are so cheap.

-Merv
                          RotoLab
                          Exactly what I just did -- bought a cheap laptop!
                          Last edited by fastpitch; 01-06-2013, 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarify

Comment

I can just see myself explaining that delivery to my wife.

"Why we do have a second laptop that's 5 years old?"
                            "Uh...that's my draft computer."

The reply would undoubtedly be a silent but eloquent series of eye rolls, sighs, and head shakes.
                            ROTO: 12-team, 1-C, 3-OF, 1-Util, no MI/CI, daily transaction, 5x5 (OBP/QS) Mixed, Keeper auction (keep max. of 5 players at +$5 each year kept)

Comment

wife...RotoLab...wife...RotoLab?? I remember when the questions posed on this forum were a bit more challenging.

Comment

Working...
                              X