Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: beginner trying to download PQS log

Hi,

On my iMac I click on "all" under National League on a PQS log page. I get a blue HQ webpage: "your file has been generated - to download it click here. I click and get another webpage full of the data, separated by commas and messy. Is there something I can do next to put this into Excel? I have tried various copy and paste things with only a messy paste in Excel that I cannot manipulate.

The above happens consistently now. In one of my first efforts at this somehow I did get a download in my downloads folder. It was an html file and my efforts to get that into Excel likewise failed.

Appreciate any guidance you can offer, thanks.

What browser are you using? Some of this stuff doesn't work as cleanly in Safari. Would suggest you download Firefox, that's our Mac-recommended browser.

Comment

If you copy the "comma'd website" date and "Paste Special" it into a cell of an Excel sheet (I usually use B2 in case I want to add anything above or to the left of it), you should get all the data in one cell.

Then choose Data, Text To Columns, click on the Delimited option button, then the Next button, clear everything but check the Comma box, then click on Next button. Having done that I HOPE that all the data has slotted itself into tidy columns.

Fingers crossed.

PS - if the date spreads itself across a load of columns when you Paste Special it into Excel, then close Excel and open it again before re-trying.

I also forgot to say that when you choose Edit and PasteSpecial, choose the Text option, not the HTML option...
      Last edited by Penfold; 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM. Reason: PS added

Comment

It is Safari, Ray, thanks. I'll try Firefox. Jim

Comment

thanks Penfold - will give it a try

Comment

thanks Penfold - that's working for me

Comment

Working...
            X