Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Draft Guide: For Auction Leagues Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Draft Guide: For Auction Leagues Only?

My league isn't an auction. We do a snake-style draft with 4 keepers. No limitations really - I would really love the added dimension of auction values That said, how should I set up the Custom Draft Guide so that it best suites my league?

PS ... This is my first year with BHQ and I love it. I cannot wait for the season to begin!

I use the CDG to generate dollar values for my snake leagues, then export to Excel and sort all players by $ val. That gives me a good idea of relative value, but I use the positional reports to generate tiers at each position since that's typically how I draft. Then I compare all of that to MockDraftCentral's ADP's to get an idea of when the tiers will come into play in the draft.
    "You give us the pitching some of these clubs have and no one could touch us, but God has a way of not arranging that, because it's not as much fun."
    - Sparky Anderson

Comment

jsobers is right... just because the unit of measure in the CDG is dollars, doesn't mean it's only an auction tool. That said, we'll have some columns and content specific to straight drafters between now and Opening Day.

Comment

Good points. Thanks guys!

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you use it for head to head leagues? If I select to use points, some of the categories are uncheckable. Rotisserie is the only way for all categories to be open for selection (I think).

Comment

The things that aren't available in points mode are the ratio categories. If you're in a points league, you're not assigning points for batting average, you're assigning points for hits.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
              The things that aren't available in points mode are the ratio categories. If you're in a points league, you're not assigning points for batting average, you're assigning points for hits.
              Thanks. I had a misunderstanding I think.

For the Custom Draft Guide, will values/rankings change? If I do it one week, keep the same settings, and run the Draft Guide a couple weeks later - Will the results be the same? Or will outside influences (i.e. Spring Training, suspension, etc) affect results?

Comment

Originally posted by JimTurkey View Post
                Thanks. I had a misunderstanding I think.

For the Custom Draft Guide, will values/rankings change? If I do it one week, keep the same settings, and run the Draft Guide a couple weeks later - Will the results be the same? Or will outside influences (i.e. Spring Training, suspension, etc) affect results?
                Our projections change every day from now til the end of the season.

Comment

What is the easiest/best way to put it all into Excel?

Comment

Export the CDG result as CSV, and open it in Excel.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Awesome. Didn't realize I could do that. Any other tips?

Comment

Yes: Be sure to listen to BaseballHQ Radio every Saturday! (Actually released on Friday for subscribers.)
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

On the CDG; select the "Grid" output. Having a tiered, positional breakdown all on one page is enormously beneficial at the draft. One, you'll be scanning all positions all the time if you're only using one page, so you're less likely to miss someone who has slipped through the cracks. Two, you'll get intuitive insights on how your draft is playing out and you'll be better equiped to change course depending on what other drafters are doing- aka "zig when they zag".

Just realized I gave you similar advice in another thread...glad to see you've discovered the CDG!

One quick thought on the added dimensions of auction values: You can introduce "pricing" into a snake draft just by allowing teams to slot their keepers in the round which they were drafted. There are many variations; but it's an easy way to open up different valuation strategies without having to switch to an auction format.
                          Last edited by Paul Hardball; 02-23-2012, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PD@HQ View Post
                            Yes: Be sure to listen to BaseballHQ Radio every Saturday! (Actually released on Friday for subscribers.)
                            Definitely do. The podcast is actually what introduced me to BHQ and everything it has to offer. I just hope my league mates aren't listening as well

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hardball View Post
                              On the CDG; select the "Grid" output. Having a tiered, positional breakdown all on one page is enormously beneficial at the draft. One, you'll be scanning all positions all the time if you're only using one page, so you're less likely to miss someone who has slipped through the cracks. Two, you'll get intuitive insights on how your draft is playing out and you'll be better equiped to change course depending on what other drafters are doing- aka "zig when they zag".

Just realized I gave you similar advice in another thread...glad to see you've discovered the CDG!

One quick thought on the added dimensions of auction values: You can introduce "pricing" into a snake draft just by allowing teams to slot their keepers in the round which they were drafted. There are many variations; but it's an easy way to open up different valuation strategies without having to switch to an auction format.
                              Thanks again for the help. I've been playing around with the CDG and found the "grid" very useful and quick to analyze. I haven't done this yet, but putting it in Excel should also let me manipulate the grid as I want (ie. colors, flagging, etc) to identify players I want or do not want.

The CDG is pretty simple (once you get the settings right). Do you RotoLab in addition to the CDG? Or just the CDG?

Comment

Working...
                              X