Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brushback View Post
    How about a salary cap?
    I was assuming a normal $260 available for auction. Are you thinking of an in-season cap? Not sure I'm a fan of that, it would limit trading...

on the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of really uneven dump trades either, so maybe we do need something in place to mitigate it.
    -----------------------------
    Check out my blog on personal development at http://joaker5.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BigJon View Post

14/9
      C, C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, MI, CI, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, UT

On the 6X6, I think holds is the right way for pitching. I'm not sure if I love the idea of doing both BA and OBP. What would you guys think about doing OBP and SLG and elimiting BA?

Here's what I came up with for minor league contracts. Basically, each year adds $6 to their price. they year they are called up is a freebie unless they start the year on the major league roster. If they start the year on the major league roster, then that's their first year at 6 bucks and they move on from there. For players who are called up after opening day they would cost 6 bucks at the start of their first full year. Each year after that you add 6 to their cost, so the cost to keep a rookie for all 5 years of eligibility is 6, 12, 18, 24, and finally 30.
      So 13/10 is just one C?

If we use SLG, isn't that going to put three of six categories heavily weighted towards power - HR, RBI, SLG. That seems excessive

Tell me if I'm understanding this minors thing correctly. If he starts the year in the Majors, his 5 year clock would go $6, $12, $18, $24, $30. That's clear. But if he starts in the minors and gets called up sometime during the year, his 5 year clock will look like $0, $6, $12, $18, $24. Or are you saying that you only start his 5 year clock during that year that he finally starts in the Pros? Can you clarify this?

Comment

An active roster cap of $360 isn't unresonable. It still allows for plenty of "dump deals" without totally handcuffing teams trying to go for it.

I'm looking to join a league that has some sort of trade restrictions. I just retired from my long time AL and NL ultra leagues due to the the trades getting more lopsided each year. All the time devoted to planning a solid draft went out the window with owners unloading big contracts for the flavor of the day minor leaguer.

Comment

I wasn't asked and just recently jumped in but I'll comment that a $360 in season salary cap can work, particularly on an auction budget of $260. In proposing a salary cap in my $300 auction league, I showed two seasons worth of data and analysis to show that $360 (also happened to be the number we picked) would have allowed multiple trades but eliminated the most eggregious/controversial trades. It can still work without limits or a trade veto rule and I'm sure all of you here have experienced the pros and cons of that system.
          "The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided." - Casey Stengel

Comment

I do not think a $360 in season cap is that restrictive. I much prefer that to leagues that have trade veto options to deal with lopsided trades. Not that such trades are usually as much of an issue in HQ centric leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom View Post
              So 13/10 is just one C?

If we use SLG, isn't that going to put three of six categories heavily weighted towards power - HR, RBI, SLG. That seems excessive

Tell me if I'm understanding this minors thing correctly. If he starts the year in the Majors, his 5 year clock would go $6, $12, $18, $24, $30. That's clear. But if he starts in the minors and gets called up sometime during the year, his 5 year clock will look like $0, $6, $12, $18, $24. Or are you saying that you only start his 5 year clock during that year that he finally starts in the Pros? Can you clarify this?
              13/10 could be 1 catcher or 4 OF.

Minors - that's exactly right.

Categories - eh, you may be right. I've seen leagues use OPS as a 6th category though, and it's largely the same impact.

Comment

Originally posted by rokoeh8er View Post
                I wasn't asked and just recently jumped in but I'll comment that a $360 in season salary cap can work, particularly on an auction budget of $260. In proposing a salary cap in my $300 auction league, I showed two seasons worth of data and analysis to show that $360 (also happened to be the number we picked) would have allowed multiple trades but eliminated the most eggregious/controversial trades. It can still work without limits or a trade veto rule and I'm sure all of you here have experienced the pros and cons of that system.
                Seems a fair number, I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Comment

Originally posted by rokoeh8er View Post
                  That's some excellent back-up info ... Thanks for jumping in.

Count me in if there is a $360 cap!

Comment

we have just started a dynasty league that we just started this year. We have one team left the Houston Astros. They have some decent young talent with a lot of cap space available.

This is a 30 team dynasty league with $150M salary cap 6 X 6 head to head league

This sounds exactly like what you are looking for

here is a link for the league

email me if you want to join

brentmetcalf@me.com

Comment

Hey guys, just FYI, I have 2 more interested owners in my email box. that puts us at 11.

Comment

Wow, hey Jon, can you post the full list of potential owners here. Help us keep it organized. Are we going to formulate an off-season site, like some people do on Pro-Boards? We may need to if we're going to do a draft. Give people a centralized place to find info and stay connected during the off-season

Comment

That seems like a really good idea Scott. Are you familiar with setting up sites like that? I have no experience in that regard.

I'll post a list later this evening.

For those who have shown interested in signing up, please email me at jonathan.oakes@att.net. That's the quickest way to get our email addresses together for more direct communication. Once those emails are together i'll send out a rough draft of a constitution that we can haggle over to get it where we want it.

One new suggestion has come up with a floor (maybe $160) to match our ceiling of $360. Seems like a good idea. Gives teams plenty of freedom to operate while still putting controls in place to keep it from going to far. We'll almost certainly need some king of addendum to keep people from picking up a player via FAAB at a super high rate ($100 for Jamey Carroll) to exceed that floor.

by the way, we may be up to 12 now.

Comment

Ok, Here's who we have so far

BigJon (Jonathan Oakes)
                            Freedom (Scott Freeman)
                            Bill_in_PDX
                            Nickdemola
                            bcz1943
                            Kiwijohn (John Sukroo)
                            southpaw23
                            brushback
                            rokoeh8er
                            Andrew Gephardt (emailer)
                            Jeff Sweeney (Local Jville player)
                            Gellman@HQ (Scott Gellman)
                            Yellowbelly (Shannon Martin)
                            dcoffell (Dustin Coffell)

14 teams so far.
                            Last edited by BigJon; 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom View Post
                              Ok, I'm writing up the rough draft of the constitution and need to make a change here because it's not making sense in place with the other rules.

I'm changing my original thought to read as follows.

When a player from your minor league roster is called up to the majors their salary tag is $6. (need to have in place because of cap ceilings and floors).

A player on a minor league roster that begins the year in the majors begins his first year of eligibility in that season and will progress in the following manner - $6, $12, $18, $24, $30

A player on a minor league roster that begins the year in the minors and is called up will not be penalized by the loss of a year of eligiblity. Therefore those minor league players who are called up will progress in the following way - $6, $6, $12, $18, $24, $30.

- We may have to debate this one out. I can see setting some kind of date like the major league trade deadline, or june first or something, that says if they are called up before that then they loose a year of eligiblity. If called up after that then they do not. It's something we'll want to streamline.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJon View Post

- We may have to debate this one out. I can see setting some kind of date like the major league trade deadline, or june first or something, that says if they are called up before that then they loose a year of eligiblity. If called up after that then they do not. It's something we'll want to streamline.
                                I agree with this. Take Hosmer from last year as an example. He was called up in mid-May if I remember correctly. That early in the season, he should be at a $6 first year, $12 the next, etc.
                                Someone like Jacob Turner who made 2 starts and was called up in either late Aug or early Sept shouldn't be treated the same way. I think he should fall under the $6, $6, $12, etc. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X