Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to get cubs tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to get cubs tickets?

I have a chance to get my hands on a 13 game package of tickets for the cubs (bleachers) ... wont be able to go to almost any, are they easy to sell for at least cost?

thanks

-Josh
    "I mean, look at you. You don't even have a name tag. You've got no chance. Why don't you just fall down?"

-Nigel Powers (Goldmember)

5*5 HTH 10 teams $380 cap
    Use OPS instead of AVG and Saves +.5Holds.
    28 man rosters 20 man Farms (C,1b,2b,3b,SS, IF, Of, OF, OF, OF, U, U, 8 SP, 4RP)
    Daily Lineup changes, Weekly FAAB. 60/40 hitter/pitcher split.

I have been making pilgrimages to Wrigley from NJ/NY since 1986.

In the late 1980s, I paid $20 scalp on the street for bleachers that were maybe priced at $8 to $10 at the time.

But the mid-1990s, we were paying $25.

By 1998, my buddy got married in early summer, and the Cubs had oversold the bleachers, so my wife who used to manage the building that Manager Jim Riggleman was in couldn't even get tickets. They went for that odd example at $150 and up.

I went in 2008 for Astros-Cubs, summer weekend, and paid $85 and $95 on Stubhub for Fri and Sat bleacher tix.

I can't be sure re post-recession, but seems like the Trixie boyfriends would still pay quite a premium.

Seems like a buy. I've heard these sell out first-day in February.
    NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
    our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
    a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

I haven't lived in Chicago in 3 years, but you should be able to at least get your money back. As soon as the tix are sold out (long before opening day), you should be able to turn around and sell them on Stub Hub for more than you paid. If you wait until game day, you can roll the dice. On a nice day (and against a good team), you should be able to make a large profit. If it's crappy out, you'll be lucky to get face value.
      If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
      -Bill Lyon

Comment

The Cub's annual fest did not sell out for the first time ever and there were plenty of empty sets at Wrigley in Aug/Sept. The bleacers are my fav tix, but it's not a knock down that you sell them, they just aren't that hot at the present time. This is also the first time I can remember a 13 game package being offered by the Cubs.

All that being said, if you are prepared to take a bit of a financial hit this year, the tix are an excellent long term investment. I'll even buy 2 from you if you decide to take the plunge.
        I have discovered in 20 years of moving around a ballpark, that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats.
        Bill Veeck

Comment

My buddies and I might make a 25th anniversary plunge from our first visit this summer - how many you got?

our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.

Comment

Hey guys... I got 2 tickets to these 13 games... I'm hoping to make it out to a game at wrigley, but since my wife is due with my first child march 1st, I seriously doubt this will be the year.

I plan on selling em on stubhub, any advice on whether its best to sell well in advance or closer to game day. I find with the yankees, its better to sell in advance, because the market gets flooded as the game gets closer and prices drop?

Here are the games...

They are all Bleachers general admission (didn't realize bleachers was more expensive then bowl seating... strange, bleachers are $12 in yankee).

Saturday 4/2 - Pirates (opening weekend) 12:05pm
            Monday 4/4 - Dbacks 1:20pm
            Monday 4/18 - Padres - 7:05pm
            Wed 4/27 - Rockies - 1:20pm
            Friday 5/6 - Reds - 1:20pm
            Saturday 5/7 - Reds - 12:10pm
            Wed - 5/25 - Mets 7:05pm
            Friday 6/17 - Yankees - 1:20pm
            Wed 6/29 - Giants - 7:05pm
            Sat 7/16 - Marlins - 12:05pm
            Tue - 7/19 - Phillies - 7:05pm
            Fri - 8/19 - Cardinals - 1:20pm
            Wed - 9/7 - Reds - 7:05pm

If i can't sell for more than 15% above face on stubhub, i'll see at cost to anyone on the boards.

Thanks for the advice.
            "I mean, look at you. You don't even have a name tag. You've got no chance. Why don't you just fall down?"

28 man rosters 20 man Farms (C,1b,2b,3b,SS, IF, Of, OF, OF, OF, U, U, 8 SP, 4RP)

Comment

Been living in Chicago suburbs 20 years or better now, and have been to Wrigley many times. Every year I think, except the two after the strike when I refused to give them any of my money. Anyway, have been a buyer and seller of tickets over the years, more often a buyer. So some thoughts...

First the bleachers are unique at Wrigley. A different atmosphere than the rest of the park. Separate entrance, generally a younger crowd, in the sun throughout all day games. A game in the bleachers is a giant party. For that reason the ticket prices start fairly steep but hold their value well. Get there early if you want a good seat, like when the park opens if you expect to be in the first few rows.

The Cubs expect all these games to be sold out before single-game tickets go on sale, so it will be a seller's market for you. The hottest ticket in there is obviously the Yankee's game, but the Cardinals game is right there, too. If you don't attend those games you will make a good return on your investment.

Next will be the Fri / Sat games, although the two with the Reds are early in the season, maybe a bit too early for 'Chicago's Largest Beer Garden' (Wrigley bleachers) to be in full swing. You should get over face for all four of these games. Not sure about the game on 4/2 -- might be a big seller with the new Opening Day schedule this year, might be just another cold day in early April.

After that it's sort of a crap shoot. Mets' fans usually travel well. Check the Chicago concert schedule -- if there are big rock acts in town sometimes people travel in to attend multiple events. That September game could be an anchor if the Cubs are 20 games out...

As to selling these, StubHub is only one way. You might have better luck using Craigslist both in Chicago and the visiting team's city. Cuts out the middle man but introduces Craigslist concerns. You might also look to eBay, I think their fees are a bit less than StubHub. Also I think the Cubs have a service to buy back tickets, not sure what they pay or if that's just season ticket holders.

Good luck!
              "A republic if you can keep it."

Comment

You'll be okay, but I think the big problem with that package is that it is heavy on the early season. Wrigley can get COLD and those six games in the first five weeks may get low interest. But the last six games are great.
                @edecaria

Comment

I've sold my extras (not for the Cubs) through both Stubhub and Craigslist at various times. You would think that given Stubhub's nearly 25% fee (15% from seller, 10% premium from buyer) that you would do better on Craigslist. Unfortunately, going through Craigslist you often you end up with people who are unsure whether they want to commit to a purchase and who are looking to bargain. I don't blame them, but between that and the necessity of working out the actual transfer of funds/tickets. the ratio of additional time spent to any additional money made by avoiding Stubhub fees is usually high enough to make you wish you had just gone through Stubhub. I wish that wasn't true, but in my experience it usually is.
                  BERSMR in Dallas

Comment

Yeah, i have full season package for the yankees the past 4 years (saturday package for 8 years), I find stubhub to be by far the best way to sell tickets. They take a 15% commission, but the lack of effort on my part, and the guarantee i get paid and not robbed while selling my tickets is nice.

Any tickets I don't sell above cost on stubhub I sell at cost to friends/co-workers etc.

Comment

As a (rare) buyer, I feel as if I'm locked in for my tickets re Stubhub, while craigslist feels like Wild Wild West.

I'd rather pay the minor extras for peace of mind...

Comment

Working...
                      X