Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to paste CDG Grid into excel

Default Unable to paste CDG Grid into excel

Done it hundreds of times, but now it only copies into one column. When I tried to do it row-by-row it worked foe the first 4 (header and $50/$45/$40 tiers).

I sorted by position and set up a rough grid as a work-around, but I do like the simplicity of the real CDG grid. Thanks.

If it's March, it must be time for a "can't paste the grid into Excel" post.

Sorry, I'm not poking fun at you -- this is one of those technical issues that comes up every year, and I don't know that there's a programming solution.

What browser do you use? We've seen different behavior with IE vs. Firefox, and with how the copy/paste is performed. Maybe we can find a combination that works for you.

Tom - no offense taken. I am using IE7 and have been cutting and pasting since the projection have come out this year with a vaiety of league settings with no issue. Last time was on 3 March. Thanks.

I think I just sent you an email... but try the "Paste Special" option instead of just the basic Paste function. And choose "text" for the format in "Paste Special".

Alternatively, highlight the whole spreadsheet before pasting.

One of those two solutions helps the majority of people with this problem. Let us know if you're one of them.

Thanks, Ray. Copying almost all of the CDG Grid page worked.

May be related to our new release of CDG too.

Another idea may be to use the "Text to Column" conversion tool in excel. <Don't mind me if this sounds foreign, I've been using Office 2010 for the past 4 months and forget what older versions are like>

I am having the same issue and none of the "fixes worked for me. I am not sure how to do the "text to column" conversion tool in excel. I have been copy and pasting from the CDG since early February and now all of a sudden it doesn't work....other thoughts?

Baz

Bazkar, what web browser, what version of Excel? The "Paste Special/Text" option I suggested above has worked for just about everyone we've heard from here, and via email. You tried that?

I am using Internet explorer and Excel 2007 (I think....where do I check the version as I am doing this at work...sshhhh). I can try at home with Firefox and I KNOW I have Excel 2007.

Thoughts? I will try again this afternoon when I get the chance.

Baz

I just tried it on Firefox 3.6 and Excel 2007, no problems. Note that I highlighted the Full Report (i.e. initial results screen) on the CDG. I didn't just do a select all on the page, I just highlighted the results data. Regular Paste worked, didn't even need Paste Special. Give it a whirl this afternoon and let us know.

I haven't been using the initial results screen but instead have been using the custom report function to get just the columns that I want copied and pasted. Could that be the difference and shouldn't I be able to copy and paste from there? I also have just been highlighting just the data and not selecting all.

Not sure what to do....will try it this afternoon again and report back.

Thanks.

Baz

I just tried pasting a custom report... still got it to work, but this time I had to use Paste Special/Text. Try that today. If still stuck, tell us how you have set up the custom report.

I tried again and still had no luck.

I have set up the custom report with the following columns:

name age bats pos qlfy tm R$ ab r h rbi sb obp tb ct% eye px sx xba bpv rel

I tried just pasting and the paste special option selecting text and I get a box each time telling me that the data on the clipboard is a different size than the spreadsheet in which I have the whole sheet selected. It then looks like it dumps all of the copied data into cell A1. I have tried copying the whole data page, I have tried doing the different sections individually. Not sure what else to do and why I was able to do it so easily before and now can't do it at all.

Baz
    Last edited by Bazkar; 03-16-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: to make more easily readable

Instead of selecting the whole sheet before pasting, try just putting your cursor in cell A1, and doing paste special again...

I had tried it already.....but tried it again with no luck.....other thoughts?

Baz

Try pasting the main report or positional report, just to isolate whether you're having issues with just the Custom Report... or if it's a more general issue.

You are in my thoughts Ray......I just copy and pasted from the main report page into a spreadsheet without any problems.....I guess worse case scenerio I can simply do that and delete the columns I don't want to see in my spreadsheet which I get through the custom report.....not sure why I can't get the custom report to copy and paste.

Baz

OK, that helps me Bazkar... you're at least not completely dead in the water, and I can do some research about how the Custom report is displaying.

One other thought if you want... in Excel, highlight exactly the number of full columns in your Custom Report before pasting. That should defeat the "data being pasted is a different size..." msg.

Thanks Ray. I've tried highlighting the exact number of columns on several different attempts with no additional luck. I'm really at a loss here.

Baz

The main thing in the standard report that is missing is Total Bases.......I still am at a loss as to why I can't copy and paste the custom report.

Baz

I'm having the same problems, although I've never had them in the past. I used to be able to paste easily from the CDG custom report -- no longer.

It's really a complete mess. I'm doing exactly the things I've done in years past, and it's not working. I've pasted every which way, with no luck, unless I just do the top four rows or so. That works. (But I need more than four players in my list.)

Our tech guys are looking at this. Have either of you tried this today? They made some changes last night, as I understand it.

PS I can't paste from the custom report or the full list.

Quote Originally Posted by RAY@HQ View Post
    Our tech guys are looking at this. Have either of you tried this today? They made some changes last night, as I understand it.
    Just tried now. No luck whatsoever. Yesterday I could paste from the full list, at least. Today, from neither.

Thanks, I'll pass along.