Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFBC Rookie Invitational

Default NFBC Rookie Invitational

THIS LEAGUE HAS BEEN FILLED - Feel free to follow this league all season long on the Mastersball.com message board.

Looking for owners to participate in a $125 Satellite for the NFBC on MAR 13 or 14.

The league is called the NFBC Rookie Invitational - the guys who run the NFBC have allowed me to set up this league for first time NFBC players. If you are interested in playing in the NFBC's unique 15 team format at a bargain price- here is your chance. First place will be a Free entry into next year's Main Event. If interested you can PM me here - or go to the NFBC site, log on to their message boards and search for my thread in the General NFBC Discussion forum.

I'm Ryan Carey on the boards there.
    Last edited by deansdaddy; 02-19-2010 at 06:53 PM.

That's a pretty sweet racket. I wish I could have a third party set up a league for money, put me in it, and mandate that 10 of my 14 competitors would be scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
    that's a pretty sweet racket. I wish i could have a third party set up a league for money, put me in it, and mandate that 10 of my 14 competitors would be scrubs.
    lol!

That's a pretty sweet racket. I wish I could have a third party set up a league for money, put me in it, and mandate that 10 of my 14 competitors would be scrubs.

Not sure how a nfbc rookie is a scrub but by all means, join the league and lets find out.

If I wasn't out of town March 6-14 I'd be all over that thing like a bad rash.

Wink Free?

Quote Originally Posted by RAY@HQ View Post
    lol!
    They will also keep 15 to 18% of the fees for "juice" Dean's Daddy should of set it up as a private league. Careful of the "free entry". Still have to pay event fees, airline ticket, and hotel charges. Your "free entry" will probably cost you 500-800 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by rodyk View Post
    They will also keep 15 to 18% of the fees for "juice" Dean's Daddy should of set it up as a private league. Careful of the "free entry". Still have to pay event fees, airline ticket, and hotel charges. Your "free entry" will probably cost you 500-800 bucks!
    As far as the travel charges, that's theoretically optional since they offer the online option now.

Cool

As far as the travel charges, that's theoretically optional since they offer the online option now.
    By next yr the on-line option maybe a thing of the past. Fanball wants live drafts so their people can spend 7-10 days at fancy hotels like the Bellagio.

If I wasn't out of town March 6-14 I'd be all over that thing like a bad rash.
    Hope your bad rash clears up by then

Quote Originally Posted by rodyk View Post
    By next yr the on-line option maybe a thing of the past. Fanball wants live drafts so their people can spend 7-10 days at fancy hotels like the Bellagio.
    We'll see. I don't see how people staying at the Bellagio benefits Fanball. They want more registrations, and an online option seems important to that goal.

Wow - I didn't really expect this level of cynicism on these boards - very disappointing.

I guess that you are making a joke - but your characterization of how and why this league was set up is inaccurate.

Perhaps the next time you want to bash something or someone - you may actually take the time to check it out rather than apply your own potential motivations to another person. You don't know me or what I am trying to achieve with this project. Yes I will be competing in this league as well - but to diminish me publicly is both unfair and unwarranted.

I pitched my idea for this league to the powers that be at the NFBC. They agreed to let me run it as a Satellite league there. The league is set up to be a "teaching" league for those who have never played in the Main Event. Most first time NFBC players have had tremendous success on the local level and have a desire to move up to the 15 team format the NFBC uses. Having asked the NFBC for permission to run this league in their house - takes away many of the problems that commonly doom "private" leagues. It also introduces the new players to the interface that you would be using if/when you choose to enter the Main Event as well as bringing them into that community. As for added value - if you had taken the time to look further you would have seen what else we will be trying to offer participants who choose to compete in this league.

We will have weekly "chats" following each weeks FAAB to talk about what went right/wrong for our teams. We are also in talks with another site about having a "home base" for our league for in depth strategy talk throughout the year - with the 5 veteran participants willing and available to talk strategy before the draft and throughout the season with the participants. A weekly blog and live Twitter feed will also hopefully give participants the ability to have a robust dialogue with each other and their "veteran" counterparts.

I already have one industry "expert" signed on to help me throughout the year and am talking to others to see what role, if any they want to have.

As for the Free Entry - the prize is $1300 - which you can use on the Free Entry if you choose. The goal of the league is to help prepare "rookies" to potentially compete in the Main Event one day. If you have ever played in an online NFBC league or any online contest - you know that interaction between competitors is basically non-existent. So I am trying this "experiment" as a way to bring a little bit of a "local league" feel to the NFBC.

In the interest of finding the right mix of owners to make this a fun and exciting endeavor, I posted this ad here in good faith. Again - if you think this league might be for you - go to the NFBC message boards and check it out or PM me here or there.

Thanks,

Ryan Carey
    Last edited by deansdaddy; 02-14-2010 at 01:13 AM.

So if it's as noble as all that...
    ...why do it for money?

Exactly.

We'll see. I don't see how people staying at the Bellagio benefits Fanball. They want more registrations, and an online option seems important to that goal.
    For sure. I understand what they're trying to do with the live events, but the live events are probably a mature buisiness at this point. The growth is almost certainly online.

And I'm not sure how much growth there is left in the high stakes subcategory of fantasy baseball. I really have no idea.

...why do it for money?

Exactly.
    Okay - to answer your question - in order for me to run this league on the NFBC website - I had to run it as a Satellite league - thus I chose the entry-level $125 Satellite option.

Now please go bother somebody else...and leave my thread in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by deansdaddy View Post
    Looking for owners to participate in a $125 Satellite for the NFBC on MAR 13 or 14.

The league is called the NFBC Rookie Invitational - the guys who run the NFBC have allowed me to set up this league for first time NFBC players. If you are interested in playing in the NFBC's unique 15 team format at a bargain price- here is your chance. First place will be a Free entry into next year's Main Event. If interested you can PM me here - or go to the NFBC site, log on to their message boards and search for my thread in the General NFBC Discussion forum.

I'm Ryan Carey on the boards there.
    It's an interesting idea. I'd like to help you out, but I think I have too many commitments already. For me, it might hurt my chances elsewhere if I comment on players I might like that could be still sitting in my free agent pool.

Good Luck

Thanks Shawn - yeah I don't think it makes a lot of sense for a vet whose playing in the Main to do it- you have to keep some cards up your sleeve after all- but I think we'll have chances where NFBC players can join us for discussions etc. I think everyone will hopefully enjoy talking about what went right and wrong for them after the weekly FAAB gets run.

Ryan, good luck with your project. I thought you might be taking bluenose's original barb (which I found funny, obviously) too personally, til he chimed in again.

Now, Ryan has his information out there for anyone who wants it. Bluenose has made his point (twice, once more than necessary). Enough said, I think.

Thanks Ray - and you're right I did take it too personally and reacted defensively.

I've actually had good exchanges with bluenose on previous threads so I'll say to him "No hard feelings and thanks for giving me the impetus to provide a clearer picture."

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the league - just PM me if interested.

...why do it for money?

Exactly.

I agree, you have made your point. On this thread and other nfbc threads scattered around here. If you don't like the format, pay or competition then don't play the nfbc. I think it is pretty simple.

For what it is worth, the on-line main isn't going away so just another point you made that isn't even correct.

Don't forget to get that rashed checked.

Good luck this year.

@Deansdaddy: You, sir, are a true believer. I misconstrued your intentions and I would like to take this opportunity to apologize. I'm going to send you a PM later on a related matter but I'd like to put this on the record here. I'm sorry.

@Double X: I got that rash from yo momm--JUST KIDDING. I would like to clarify something. I intend to play NFBC this year. What I can't get past isn't actually the 20-25% takeout. Rather, it's that as a non-American, Fanball will submit 30% of any winnings I may earn to the IRS. So I'm not only looking at playing for 75-80% of a full pot, if I happen to win, I'm only playing for 70% of THAT. If I win my entry fee back, I actually come out 30% light.

To NFBC's full credit, their CFO is looking into whether I can have that 30% witholding reduced via proper filing of a W-8BEN form. They're doing everything they can to get my business and that of foreigners like me. If we can make the W-8BEN work, I'm all over that contest like Oprah on a baked ham. (I was going to say "all over it like a bad rash", but, um, never mind.) In the mean time, I'm looking for private leagues where the takeout is less.

@Double X further: I never claimed the Online Main is going away. Rather I said that I think their growth is to be had online and that the live events are likely a mature business. I don't know how much growth there is to be had, but however much there is, it's almost certainly online.

Never easy to apologize publicly - and though I didn't ask for it - I'll gladly accept it.

Bluenose - you are right about the takeaway - I have a few reasons I'm not playing in the Main Event. One - my fantasy budget is TIGHT this season - so I too am investing those dollars for maximum effect. I played in the Main Event last year via a Free Entry I won the previous year. I had a BLAST at the draft and in season. But I also realized I had a lot of work to do to realistically have a serious shot at winning the overall. Yes - anyone can get lucky and have a magical season - but truth be told - at this point I just couldn't square the investment with my expectations of winning the big prize.

However - I love the format. 15 teams, NO TRADES... so I am playing it this year.

Good luck to you this season in whatever leagues you play in.

Quote Originally Posted by deansdaddy View Post
    Thanks Ray - and you're right I did take it too personally and reacted defensively.

I've actually had good exchanges with bluenose on previous threads so I'll say to him "No hard feelings and thanks for giving me the impetus to provide a clearer picture."

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the league - just PM me if interested.
    You seem to be a very straight up guy and for players to get that kind of education for the money (125) makes it, in my mind anyway, a very good deal no matter where you finish.

My .02

Glad you guys worked things out ...
    “The most beautiful thing in the world is a ballpark filled with people.”
    Bill Veeck

Ryan, I contacted you earlier but I'm not sure my response to your message was sent. Anyway, I would love to be in this league. My name is Todd Easterling.

Hey Todd - I pm'd you back - check again. Or just pm me your phone number and a good time to call and I'll call you tomorrow.

Thx Ryan