No announcement yet.

NFBC Rookie Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Shawn - yeah I don't think it makes a lot of sense for a vet whose playing in the Main to do it- you have to keep some cards up your sleeve after all- but I think we'll have chances where NFBC players can join us for discussions etc. I think everyone will hopefully enjoy talking about what went right and wrong for them after the weekly FAAB gets run.

Comment

Ryan, good luck with your project. I thought you might be taking bluenose's original barb (which I found funny, obviously) too personally, til he chimed in again.

Now, Ryan has his information out there for anyone who wants it. Bluenose has made his point (twice, once more than necessary). Enough said, I think.

Comment

Thanks Ray - and you're right I did take it too personally and reacted defensively.

I've actually had good exchanges with bluenose on previous threads so I'll say to him "No hard feelings and thanks for giving me the impetus to provide a clearer picture."

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the league - just PM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by bluenose View Post
          So if it's as noble as all that...
          ...why do it for money?

Exactly.

I agree, you have made your point. On this thread and other nfbc threads scattered around here. If you don't like the format, pay or competition then don't play the nfbc. I think it is pretty simple.

For what it is worth, the on-line main isn't going away so just another point you made that isn't even correct.

Don't forget to get that rashed checked.

Good luck this year.

Comment

@Deansdaddy: You, sir, are a true believer. I misconstrued your intentions and I would like to take this opportunity to apologize. I'm going to send you a PM later on a related matter but I'd like to put this on the record here. I'm sorry.

@Double X: I got that rash from yo momm--JUST KIDDING. I would like to clarify something. I intend to play NFBC this year. What I can't get past isn't actually the 20-25% takeout. Rather, it's that as a non-American, Fanball will submit 30% of any winnings I may earn to the IRS. So I'm not only looking at playing for 75-80% of a full pot, if I happen to win, I'm only playing for 70% of THAT. If I win my entry fee back, I actually come out 30% light.

To NFBC's full credit, their CFO is looking into whether I can have that 30% witholding reduced via proper filing of a W-8BEN form. They're doing everything they can to get my business and that of foreigners like me. If we can make the W-8BEN work, I'm all over that contest like Oprah on a baked ham. (I was going to say "all over it like a bad rash", but, um, never mind.) In the mean time, I'm looking for private leagues where the takeout is less.

Comment

@Double X further: I never claimed the Online Main is going away. Rather I said that I think their growth is to be had online and that the live events are likely a mature business. I don't know how much growth there is to be had, but however much there is, it's almost certainly online.

Comment

Never easy to apologize publicly - and though I didn't ask for it - I'll gladly accept it.

Bluenose - you are right about the takeaway - I have a few reasons I'm not playing in the Main Event. One - my fantasy budget is TIGHT this season - so I too am investing those dollars for maximum effect. I played in the Main Event last year via a Free Entry I won the previous year. I had a BLAST at the draft and in season. But I also realized I had a lot of work to do to realistically have a serious shot at winning the overall. Yes - anyone can get lucky and have a magical season - but truth be told - at this point I just couldn't square the investment with my expectations of winning the big prize.

However - I love the format. 15 teams, NO TRADES... so I am playing it this year.

Good luck to you this season in whatever leagues you play in.

Comment

Originally posted by deansdaddy View Post
                  Thanks Ray - and you're right I did take it too personally and reacted defensively.

I've actually had good exchanges with bluenose on previous threads so I'll say to him "No hard feelings and thanks for giving me the impetus to provide a clearer picture."

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the league - just PM me if interested.
                  You seem to be a very straight up guy and for players to get that kind of education for the money (125) makes it, in my mind anyway, a very good deal no matter where you finish.

My .02

Glad you guys worked things out ...

Comment

Ryan, I contacted you earlier but I'm not sure my response to your message was sent. Anyway, I would love to be in this league. My name is Todd Easterling.

Comment

Hey Todd - I pm'd you back - check again. Or just pm me your phone number and a good time to call and I'll call you tomorrow.

Thx Ryan

Comment

Ryan,
                        The HQ folks stick up for themselves around these parts. Don't take anything personally as (1) some of these guys would get buried in "real" leagues (2) some of these guys feel threatened very easily .

As for your endeavor, good luck. I'd like to participate in the league (if it was a non-FAAB league). Unfortunately I have too many weekly FAAB teams as it is to commit the time.

You are a standup guy Ryan, and I will look forward to seeing you on the boards (or in person) this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CC's Desperados View Post
                          It's an interesting idea. I'd like to help you out, but I think I have too many commitments already. For me, it might hurt my chances elsewhere if I comment on players I might like that could be still sitting in my free agent pool.

Good Luck
                          Hey Shawn, you trying to get ahold of me? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
                            Ryan,
                            The HQ folks stick up for themselves around these parts. Don't take anything personally as (1) some of these guys would get buried in "real" leagues (2) some of these guys feel threatened very easily .

As for your endeavor, good luck. I'd like to participate in the league (if it was a non-FAAB league). Unfortunately I have too many weekly FAAB teams as it is to commit the time.

You are a standup guy Ryan, and I will look forward to seeing you on the boards (or in person) this year.
                            Thanks Mark - and it should be noted he said that ... not me!

Hopefully I'll see you in person again at Citi field - I think I'll be working one of the drafts - maybe even yours in any case I'll be in the city that weekend so I'll make a point of tracking you down at some point.

Comment

Working...
                            X