Why I Am Not Advertising Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Am Not Advertising Here

My Detroit area Al-only 5 x 5 league has only eleven teams this year. The reason I'm not asking for anyone to join us here is that the last thing I want is another Baseball HQ subscriber in the league.
    Chiefsnark

Gee, thanks for sharing.

Comment

LOL. OK, Ray, I assume that means you aren't joining his league!
      What's the rumpus?

Comment

What if you could find a dyslexic HQer. He might draft from the wrong end of the projections grid.
        Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that ... George Carlin

1st Place ... 2010 HQFML & 2011 HQFML. Who says "lightning never strikes twice" ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by TMac View Post
          What if you could find a dyslexic HQer.
          A QHer?
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Originally posted by DAVITT@HQ View Post
            A QHer?
            Hate those guys. They think they are Dog.
            What's the rumpus?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefsnark View Post
              My Detroit area Al-only 5 x 5 league has only eleven teams this year. The reason I'm not asking for anyone to join us here is that the last thing I want is another Baseball HQ subscriber in the league.
              Hey, at least your user name matches your post!

For the Detroit-based Rotisserie league I run, I prefer to add friends of existing owners because I speculate that I'll get less league turnover if there are other social ties binding us together. If that doesn't work though, then I've filled my last three openings with BaseballHQ subscribers and I would recommend it without reservation.
              • I value raising the level of competition more than being able to readily win prize money from my friends. Raising the level of competition also tends to even out the level of competition, which helps the league as a whole.
              • Furthermore, if it's someone who is a forum poster, then I can get a sense of their personality from the written posts.
              • Those who subscribe to BaseballHQ are more likely to participate in multiple leagues and therefore more likely to already know one of the existing league owners from other leagues. I've been surprised that 2 out of the 3 BaseballHQ subscribers I have added had competed against one of my leaguemates elsewhere so I was able to in essence check their references before adding them to my keeper league.

Sure, you might prefer to advertise on another subscription website, but it really has worked out well for me recruiting leaguemates from BaseballHQ.
              "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

I agree, I'd rather raise the level of competition and lose than beat a group of patsies every year.

Comment

Another point, raised in other forum posts, is that the more BBall HQers the more you are likely to have some more natural trading partners- folks who view value in some similar ways even if they disagree about individual players. In my longest running league, my most tried and true trading partner is the only one who's ever been an HQ subscriber. We don't try and sucker trade each other and we're able to have some good discussions about the league, our teams and at times, potential trades.
                  "The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided." - Casey Stengel

Comment

I have to admit, I had my reservations, but after having added two HQ-ers (and two rather active ones from here on these forums) in the past three years, I'm OK with having a few of my brethren in the league. It certainly makes trading easier when you can discuss fundamentals more openly and equitably. It does cramp my style somewhat when discussing some trade or strategy ideas out here, but not so much that I would advise others to look elsewhere for leaguemates.

To be quite truthful, I have very few friends in real life who are baseball fans like me. Most of my friends, when I start discussing the growth potential of Adam Lind or the stellar BPIs of MCab, their eyes start to roll back in their heads, and I have to stop before they fall into a full coma.
                    "Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"
                    - Stephen Hopkins, Delegate from RI in the film "1776"

Comment

Originally posted by bosfan View Post
                      I agree, I'd rather raise the level of competition and lose than beat a group of patsies every year.

I have to disagree with this post. The 9 other guys in my league are long time buddies from elementary school (im 28yrs old). I would rather beat this group of patsies and have bragging rights over raising the level of competition any day!
                      cbs 10 Team Mixed, 5x5 Roto, Re-draft, unlimited daily transactions

Comment

Originally posted by rugby12901 View Post
                        I have to disagree with this post. The 9 other guys in my league are long time buddies from elementary school (im 28yrs old). I would rather beat this group of patsies and have bragging rights over raising the level of competition any day!
                        There's a lot to be said about being the king patsy.

Comment

Last opening in our Colorado NL league (three years ago, I think) was filled via a Forum post. Sadly, that fellow HQer is ahead of me in the standings now and looks to have a great team next year.

Comment

I try to encourage my league-mates to listen to HQ radio and subscribe to the free Friday email, and I always talk up the Forecaster. I usually stop there, though. My assumption is that they all know about the website, but most aren't willing to pony up the cost, which is okay with me.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveL View Post
                              I try to encourage my league-mates to listen to HQ radio ...
                              And we appreciate it!
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

Working...
                              X