Power Index - how is it determined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Index - how is it determined?

Hey there. I've been searching the site and forums and can't seem to find out the explanation behind the Power Index ranking. What is the 'formula' used to determine this stat?

Thanks!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
    ----------
    Creator of milbtracker.com
    MiLB player tracker made for the fantasy baseball community, completely free and ad-free

In the Glossary under "L" for Linear Weighted Power....

Linear weighted power (LWPwr)

((Doubles x .8) + (Triples x .8) + (HR x 1.4)) / (At bats- K) x 100

An excerpt of the linear weights formula that only considers events that are measures of a batter's pure power. BENCHMARKS: Baseball's top sluggers typically top the 17 mark. Weak hitters will have a LWPwr level of under 10.

Linear weighted power index (PX)

(Batter's LWPwr / League LWPwr) x 100

LWPwr is presented in this book in its normalized form to get a better read on a batter's accomplishment in each year. For instance, a 30-HR season today is not nearly as much of an accomplishment as 30 HRs hit in a lower offense year like 1995. BENCHMARKS: A level of 100 equals league average power skills. Any player with a value over 100 has above average power skills, and those over 175 are the Slugging Elite.

Comment

Excellent, thank you! I was looking under the 'P's.
      "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
      ----------
      Creator of milbtracker.com
      MiLB player tracker made for the fantasy baseball community, completely free and ad-free

Comment

For a quick'n'dirty PX calculation, you can use 11.5 as the denominator (league LWPwr).

Comment

Refreshing a very old thread. Does the LWPwr get adjusted during the course of the season, or does it stay static from beginning to the end of the year? It looks like a value of 12.4 is being used this year, but the LWPwr appears to be 11.6 for 2018 so far.

Comment

I *think* it's static, but I'd have to dig into it to know for sure. I may not have looked at it since the last time this thread was bumped.

Comment

Haha. Thanks Ray!

Comment

Working...
              X