Wife Looking for Friendly Non-Keeper League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife Looking for Friendly Non-Keeper League

My wife's jumping on the fantasy baseball bandwagon. I'd like to get her in a fun league with knowledgeable owners instead of taking a random chance on an ESPN or Yahoo league. Anyone have any opening?
    While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
    --Sherlock Holmes

What about the HQ leagues?
    What's the rumpus?

Comment

That's a good idea. I'll see if there's still openings.
      While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
      --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Has there EVER been a women-only fantasy league? I'd love to know.

24th year for us, and not a single woman has ever inquired about the league or been suggested by an owner (admittedly, we haven't had an opening since 2002, but before that we used to have 1 every year or two).
        NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
        our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
        a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

Comment

If there were openings how would one find them? My league is slowly disintegrating so close to draft day.
          "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Comment

The signups for the HQ leagues will start very, very soon. There will be an announcement and link on the main page.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie M View Post
              Has there EVER been a women-only fantasy league? I'd love to know.
              Now that would really be a fantasy league!

We've had several women in our leagues over the years (and still do) and I see no difference between them and their male competitors. Some very good - some not so much. My experiences with women owners (as opposed to real life) have been uniformly good.

Just don't make any Marge Schott jokes.
              What's the rumpus?

Comment

"Wife Looking for a Friendly Non-Keeper League"

RobR, does your wife not view you as a keeper, then?
                MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Comment

In last year's HQ leagues (ten in all), there was one woman. Can't remember exactly, but I think her team did pretty well.

You know, an all-female Roto league would probably get some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    "Wife Looking for a Friendly Non-Keeper League"

RobR, does your wife not view you as a keeper, then?
                    He's been optioned. She'll decide next year.

Comment

No Differences

O.T.

As long as we area talking fantasy leagues, I hope you see SOME differences between them and their male competitors. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Actually, I wonder about the gender participation on the site?
                      "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
                        You know, an all-female Roto league would probably get some attention.
                        You're telling me!

Originally posted by jtownjohn View Post
                        I'm willing to bet 95% male, at least. Mostly because of sexist comments like mine above.
                        What's the rumpus?

Comment

Originally posted by jtownjohn View Post
                          I'd expect the % of posters who are female is even smaller than the % of subscribers who are female.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tom View Post
                            Just don't make any Marge Schott jokes.
                            You certainly wouldn't want to offend the Nazis in your league.

Comment

Three charter members of a league I've been in since 1992 are women, and all three have won at least once, and on average, those 3 finish better than the other 9 teams year-in and year-out.

One of them is a lawyer for Oprah (don't EVEN mess with her!)

One is a VP for Great American Insurance in investment management (she has her very own set of baseball metrics that she uses--BP would be jealous)

One is a private practice lawyer who used to be a prosecutor (she is very tough in trade negotiations).

The investment manager VP has a friend in Japan who regularly consults and tells her about the various players coming over. I rather doubt this is a reliable source, though, since she rostered Yoshii when he first came over.
                              The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen. -Bob Lemon

Comment

Working...
                              X