Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevusmagnus View Post
    Answer from Roto Lab...

There is Tool on the Tools menu to copy all values from the value field to a user value field if you want that as a starting point.
    Now THAT I did not realize. That's a key, that makes doctoring projections WAY easier.

Comment

More to the point, Steve, what Merv describes is what you want to do... copy the base values to the user1 field, then edit them there. Set user1 to be your valuation system, and you've got what you were looking for (although Neuman's point is a valid one, the $ should be based on stats).

Comment

Originally posted by Neuman@HQ View Post
        But why would you want to do this? His R$ is based on the stats he is producing. If you think he is worth more, then you obviously think his projected stats are too low.
        Yes I do. But I also want to downgrade guys like Crawford and Reyes who get their $ from speed. In a H2H league steals are inconsistent week to week so I'd rather go for guys with high power values. So then I'd need to make an adjustment of ranks on my draft sheet to reflect this.

Unless there is a H2H evaluator option I'm missing. That would be GREAT, actually.

Currently the draft cheatsheets/ rotisserie $ is based on a rotisserie game. I want my draft sheet to be skewed towards big power 1st, speed second.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
          More to the point, Steve, what Merv describes is what you want to do... copy the base values to the user1 field, then edit them there. Set user1 to be your valuation system, and you've got what you were looking for (although Neuman's point is a valid one, the $ should be based on stats).
          True, but I use the projections as a baseline and tweak them a little because I'm playing a H2H game. The $ amounts are for a rotisserie game.

Any advice in H2H 5x5 drafting strategy by the way?

I'm in a shallow 12 team mixed league.

Comment

Have you tried PVM with category weighting? Pretty straightforward way to drop the saves and SB's in the aggregate without having to go player by player tweaking the database.
            "As often is the case, GE is right." -- Davitt@HQ

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenEagle View Post
              Have you tried PVM with category weighting? Pretty straightforward way to drop the saves and SB's in the aggregate without having to go player by player tweaking the database.
              Yeah, this is the right idea. You can go to the categories page and set the PVM weighting of SB to .9, .85, whatever you want. Much more effective.

Comment

But I also want to downgrade guys like Crawford and Reyes who get their $ from speed.
                If using PVM DECREASE the category weights. If using SGP INCREASE the SGP denoms. I'd try that first. Working with the user values is still a lot of work, because you are subjectively editing them. Also, on the Editor screen, click on the Query tab to total your values to see how close you are coming to your league budget, if you are editng them yourself.

-Merv

Comment

in my football pgroam, I have drag-and-drop ranking, but it is not in baseball yet because of the multiple position eligibility in baseball. Still working out some details before I can put it in.
                  One idea I saw (not sure whose) was to use the RAR denominators to decide which position is most "scarce", then list the player at that position.

Of course this doesn't solve the multi-position eligibility issues, but it does take care of things like Piazza only showing up as a DH or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by pate View Post
                    If using PVM DECREASE the category weights. If using SGP INCREASE the SGP denoms. I'd try that first. Working with the user values is still a lot of work, because you are subjectively editing them. Also, on the Editor screen, click on the Query tab to total your values to see how close you are coming to your league budget, if you are editng them yourself.

-Merv
                    What is the difference in PVM vs. SGP? Which should I use for a snake draft H2H shallow mixed league?

Comment

What is the difference in PVM vs. SGP? Which should I use for a snake draft H2H shallow mixed league?
                      Well, SGP is a rotisserie concept, so you run a bigger risk of disconnect for your H2H league. I'd try PVM and do some sensitivity testing on the weighting until you see what you like.

Comment

What is PVM? How do I set my software to use it instead of SGP?

Also what is SGP?

Comment

PVM is Percentage Valuation Method. SGP is Standings Gain Points.

There are probably 300 posts (3,000 posts?) about the differences, and I'm not the guy to try to walk you through it all. It can get very deep (some folks love the theory and application). You could do a forum search on those terms and find a ton of stuff already discussed.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss--just set it and forget it. Depends on your interest/aptitude and time to dedicate to just valuation. Valuation is just one element of fantasy baseball, so I'm reluctant to advise anyone to "go too deep" unless it won't detract from the rest of their time to build a roster, budget, strategize, follow news, etc.

In RotoLab, go to League Settings to toggle PVM vs. SGP.

Comment

To add to GE's post... if you don't have SGP data for your league, use PVM.

Read the Rotolab help or do a forum search here to see the difference explained. But take Advil first.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenEagle View Post
                              There are probably 300 posts......about the differences,
                              In RotoLab, go to League Settings to toggle PVM vs. SGP.
                              I'll take $500 on the over, please. Here's one from yesterday: http://www.baseballhq.com/members/fo...ad.php?t=30293 And I'm sure there is a shorter way to show that URL.

-Merv

Comment

Where is a good article on PVM? Why would PVM be better than SGP in a H2H league? Or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X