Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the "grid" be copied to an excell file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what to tell you guys, maybe the brower you use. I have IE as well as AOL. I do this every time.
    1.Left click upper right and hold and drag until all is selected up to last name on lower right ie some RP
    2. go to edit and select copy
    3. go to excel click on upper right grid and select edit and paste
    The grids are mix matched heights and widths
    4.click upper corner box so that entire document is highlighted
    5. Format--Column width---set to 15
    6. Format--Row height--set to 20
    whola. You can set the heights and widths to whatever fits. I then just edit as needed.
    I just did it now.

Comment

Behavior like this definitely depends on browser and Excel version. In my experience, IE is more likely to paste HTML tables cleanly into Excel than Firefox.
      While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
      --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Doc, my apologies, you are right - it's the browser. I can use your method when copying from IE, but not from Firefox.

Comment

No problem, hope it helps. The grids are great. Maybe a little obsolete with RotoLab, but still great.

Comment

There is a Firefox extension that kind of solves the problem. With it, I am able to paste the grid into a spreadsheet, completely unformatted. All of the rows and columns can be edited and resized, just as if you had created the spreadsheet from scratch. The only problem is that the names in a cell run together. Example: "Ortiz, DHafner, T". But the names do appear in their proper cells.

Comment

IE does the same damned thing for me that Firefox and Safari did.

Most names in the DH and the R$ spot.
              Tried to do all your formatting steps and the excell sheet did everything but spit at me.

Pitchers mixed with OF's, Pitchers mixed in same rows as SS's, etc.

Now I am guessing it is a "Mac" issue.
              Last edited by teddyballgame; 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM.

Comment

When using IE, try just pasting instead of paste special. The microsoft products seem to handle passing HTML to each other better.

Tom: would you share the name of that Firefox extension?
                While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
                --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by RobR@HQ View Post
                  Tom: would you share the name of that Firefox extension?
                  Table2Clipboard. It's a little tricky to use at first. You have to remember to hold down the Ctrl key while you highlight. You can then release the Ctll key. There will then be a new Edit menu option available: Copy Table Elements. Once you select it, you can then do a straight paste right into Excel.
                  Last edited by Tom_T; 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM. Reason: Meant to type Table2Clipboard, not Table2Extension.

Comment

did both pasting and special paste..no difference..I'll try the firefox option when I get a sec.

When using this firefox extension, is this an option in the Firefox drop down menus?

Thanks for the help gents.

Comment

Originally posted by teddyballgame View Post
                      did both pasting and special paste..no difference..I'll try the firefox option when I get a sec.

When using this firefox extension, is this an option in the Firefox drop down menus?
                      Once you install it, there's a new option under Edit, as I described earlier.

Just to make things easier, here's the link to the extension.

Comment

Tried the Firefox edit method and yes, everything does appear in the proper rows, but what a mess!
                        Not really a point to having all the names "mashed" together like that, very hard to read when you can't place them below eachother.
                        I don't think I will bother, too much headache.

Comment

Using IE, I clicked-and-dragged all the Grid data, rifht-clicked to Copy and then right-clik-Pasted into an open Excel sheet. The entire thing fell in just as it looks on the site. I had to change some column widths and other minor formatting stuff, but otherwise NP.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          'Put Marvin Miller in the Hall of Fame!'

Comment

I have also copied-from-IE and pasted-to-Excel successfully, many times.

Comment

Like I said before, it has got to be a Mac issue.

Comment

The world hates us Mac users.

Comment

Working...
                                X