Downloading Stat Projections Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading Stat Projections Problem

I have used HQ for years without any technical problems. I click on the projections and they download right to an Excel file. In fact, when I do it with last years stats -- no problem. But for some reason with this CSV format, it's not working well at all. What's changed? Is there anything I'm doing wrong? It worked perfectly last year and my setup hasn't changed. I use a Mac OS X with Microsoft Office Excel. And, I repeat, I have no problem downloading last year's stats on the same page right to Excel. What's going on and how do I fix it?

Can you tell us a little more about exactly what's happening, other than "it's not working well at all"? Are you getting some sort of error msg? Is something wrong with the projection file when you open it?

Comment

Stat Boy I also have Mac OS X and mine has no problem loading to the Excel sheet.

It may be your browser.

I had probs last season with Firefox and downloads from here, so I found that either Safari or Explorer seemed to work.
      I use Safari for most of it, but if using the custom reports and I want to copy all to my own excel sheet, I have to use Explorer, otherwise it all copies to ONE CELL.

Ray, I do have a question when using the CV.
      You can only download that to an excel program by "copying" and then "pasting."correct?

Comment

Originally posted by teddyballgame View Post
        Ray, I do have a question when using the CV.
        You can only download that to an excel program by "copying" and then "pasting."correct?
        For the CV tool, yes, that's correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Boy View Post
          I have used HQ for years without any technical problems. I click on the projections and they download right to an Excel file. In fact, when I do it with last years stats -- no problem. But for some reason with this CSV format, it's not working well at all. What's changed? Is there anything I'm doing wrong? It worked perfectly last year and my setup hasn't changed. I use a Mac OS X with Microsoft Office Excel. And, I repeat, I have no problem downloading last year's stats on the same page right to Excel. What's going on and how do I fix it?

The answer to this question for me about 3 weeks ago was that if you're using a web query to download the stats, you have to target the HTML files, not the CSV files. Can't say how that worked in the pre-CSV era.
          http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

I'm still having some problems, but usually get it figured out.

It was a lot nicer in past years when the files were available as Excel files directly off the site.

Comment

Explanation of Downloading Problems

I use Safari -- and have had no problems with it in the past. In fact, downloading last years final stats from the site, no problem, right into Excel. When I use CSV, I have to spend a fair amount of time adjusting the lower case letters to upper case and adjusting the column sizes and then when I try to save it as an Excel file, it gets rids of all the columns and just runs everything together. I tried the trick someone suggested of copying and pasting the CSV file into an Excel file as opposed to first trying to make the adjustments and that seemed to work better. But I don't understand what changed from the previous way of downloading the projections or why it changed. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So my question is A) Why was it changed? and B) Is there a way to make it as easy as it was to download the projections now?

Comment

Stat Boy, the projections were CSV format last year, too. Whatever worked for you then should work now.

If you lose the columns, you should be able to fix that by doing 'Text to Columns' function in Excel, or just highlighting the data and indicating that it's comma-delimited.

Comment

Ray, I am with Stat Boy in that something is different.
                  I downloaded last year's final stats as well and they fit perfectly, small columns and all.

When I download the CSV for this year's projections, I get large columns and when I try and save the content after I make changes, it gets all squished with the commas. ( I don't get lower case letter problem when I originally download to excel.)

Statboy, if you "Save as" and choose the "Excel Workbook" (the topmost choice) in the format area, it will save it in "Mac form" and you will not lose your changes.

Comment

Teddy, are you a Mac guy too? I've got a Mac at work, I'm not sure I've got Excel on it. I'll give it a try tomorrow if I get a chance.

Comment

Yes, Mac here as well Ray.

Comment

One thing about the large columns, probably unrelated to this discussion... when I select all columns and run AutoFit to adjust the widths, the first column with the name becomes huge. Why? Because the last line of the .CSV file is a long "Baseball HQ is intended for entertainment purposes..." message, and technically its in the first column, so Excel treats it like a very long player name. I always have to delete that line before I resize.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM@HQ View Post
                          One thing about the large columns, probably unrelated to this discussion... when I select all columns and run AutoFit to adjust the widths, the first column with the name becomes huge. Why? Because the last line of the .CSV file is a long "Baseball HQ is intended for entertainment purposes..." message, and technically its in the first column, so Excel treats it like a very long player name. I always have to delete that line before I resize.
                          Tom, you could highlight only those rows of the spreadsheet that contain relevant data and then click on the column, autofit option. That should do the trick too.
                          "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

I also have problems with the new format. I use vlookup and the new names are screwing me up. (Before I would always use the "&" function to change each players name from Last First to one column Last,First. That Last,First column is key to my vlookup.

Now the names have a space between the comma and first name and there are all kinds of middle initials and if they don't have a middle initial there is a space at the end after the player's first name. Is this the way it's going to be from now on?

I really don't want to have to go in and change all of my names to include all of the spaces and middle initials, so please let me know if it's going to be fixed or if these are the names that will be used from now on...

Comment

Tom, thanks for the hint about "autofit."
                              Silly me didn't bother to look in the "format" menu to solve my problem.
                              That step is much quicker than manually adjusting each column.

...if I only had a brain.

Comment

Working...
                              X