2 New Owners Needed for my 2 Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 New Owners Needed for my 2 Leagues

As some of you know from my postings, I'm the commissioner of two different leagues. One is a 5x5 12-owner NL-only standard roto league. The other is a 16-team, mixed, points-based H2H league. We had an owner in both leagues who just took a new job coaching in a local league in Iowa. Great for him, but now we have openings in both leagues. I'm going to describe both leagues and hopefully find new owners for the slots.

NL-only
    ---------
    [EDITED MESSAGE TO TAKE OUT THIS LEAGUE. IT HAS BEEN TAKEN ALREADY.]

H2H League
    ---------------
    Forget categories. Forget roto. Buh-bye LIMA. This is a totally new world, but it's a fun world! You want lots of trading, lots of talking on the message board, lots of friendly rivalries? This is the league for you. Going into its eighth year with many original owners, and several HQ guys as well. But it's points-based and you're really going to have to get your mind wrapped around the scoring rules and the Head-to-Head aspect of it if you're not used to it. But I would give you plenty of help.

Draft date is Saturday, March 31st, from 10am onward, also online via AOL group chat.

This league has 15 slots for minor leaguers, and it's very much geared toward building through the minors. It also has 12 reserve slots, so don't let 16-teams mixed fool you -- we wind up going deep enough once reserve guys are taken. But the minors is key here, so if you want to use all of Deric & Rob's expertise, here's your chance.

This team is fairly good. Two years ago he made it to the championship game, this last year finished 10-11.

C-Ausmus, Snyder
    Infield-Chavez, Cirillo, Renteria
    OF-Dunn, Brian Giles, Hart
    SP-C. Zambrano, Wakefield
    RP-Proctor, Rincon, Torres
    Minors-Bruce, Clement, Snider, Durbin, Sleeth, Ungs, Evert

If you are interested in either league, PM me a note and tell me a bit about yourself and your background with other leagues. I'm especially interested in knowing about what you want in a league. I want to make sure you'd be happy with us, and we'd be happy with you. Thanks.
    Last edited by NICK@HQ; 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM.
    MiLBAnalysis.com / @NickRichardsHQ

Just bumping this so that people can see the H2H league opening is still available. If you've never played H2H, it's a blast. You get divisonal rivalries going, you have something fun to look forward to each week, you can trash talk your opponent.

Also, if you would like a league where pitching is key to winning, as opposed to a LIMA-type league where you go offense first and then go with cheap pitching, you'll love this league. The scoring rules favor SP who do well, so that's the key to success here.

If you know about H2H, you know it's fun. If you don't, don't worry, I'm glad to help you get up to speed. I'll give you all the strategic tips I've learned over the years.

And one thing about this league is that it's a very friendly and talkative league. If you put forth the effort to speak up and do trade talks and the like, you'll be accepted by the gang right away. This is not a cliquy type of league where you'll be the outsider. It's a very nice atmosphere.

Comment

I'm new around here, but just thought I'd chime in here because I'm in this league.
      Nick post was slightly misleading - it's an auction not a draft league, but he's right about the involvement factor. It's pretty easy to be competitive, but it's very hard to get it to the next level and win.

There are two great things about the league - the mix of owners (theres everything from grizzled old scouts to young whippersnapper stathounds); and the unique ruleset (theres really no one way to win - despite Nick's protestations, people have been succesful with LIMA type strategies!). The guy who started the league wanted to get it to match real baseball as closely as possible and he did a pretty good job, the best players in real life are generally the best ones to have on your roster.

So if you're looking for a real challenge, can handle the slight luck factor with H2H (goes both ways), it might be worth your while to take a look. It might just change the way you play the game (take it from an old school roto player - this has over the years become my primary and easily most enjoyable league).

Oh, and Nick offered to help - ask him how many rings he has first!!

Comment

Nick, if you included that marked-up copy of your Graphical Player in yellow (you know, the one you wouldn't let us have), I'm sure you'd have the spot filled by now.

Be watchful of OT -- he's a lot like Smeagol, he'll do anything to get your marked up GP -- even if it means joining a league he's not really interested in.

OT already has bids on your marked-up GP -- he's going to make a mint from the resale value alone.

That OT -- he's not only a rapper, but one hell of a businessman. Don't get caught!
        RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Actually, following discovery of a well thumbed copy in his locker, Nick's marked up GP is about to be declared as Performance enhancing statistics (PES).

As the rule discussions go on, all Nick has to say is that he's not here to talk about the past, whatever that means.

Comment

Have you any idea what a good set of PES is worth on the black market? Let's keep this hush, dudes.
            RIP Paco de Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by Keano's Magic Hat View Post
              I'm new around here, but just thought I'd chime in here because I'm in this league.
              Oh, and Nick offered to help - ask him how many rings he has first!!
              Fascinating. A league mate and I haven't a clue which one he is.

As for how many rings I have, he's right. None. I have made it to the champsionship game three times, but H2H requires a bit a luck at the right time and I've never had it in the final game. But the last three years I've been: 1) totally rebuilding; 2) Doing a fun experiment all year; 3) Doing another fun experiement all year. It's cool, even if you don't win this league is fun.

Can you make it with LIMA? Yeah, but you'd better have a bunch of double starts during the playoffs and you'd better not be facing the Santana team. 'nuff said.

Eveything my mystery league mate says is true. I say "draft" out of habit, but it is of course an auction. And you can see what I say is also true: This league is so much fun, I'm getting trashed-talked by one of them over here!

Comment

Tis true, Nick knows his stuff (especially having once traded me the cornerstone to a championship - there that should help).

Thats the thing about H2H, but not even owning Ervin Santana guarantees victory. Nothing like building a team for two years, and sweating out a week-long close playoff game. But you know you're alive at the end of it, and you can get a taste of what it's like to be the Detroit Tigers (or the Cardinals if you're lucky).

Comment

Bumping this one last time on this thread. This is a fun league, and I hope to find a dedicated owner who will join. But otherwise I'll wait a couple of weeks and try again with a new message and hope to catch folks poking their heads in here as spring training gets underway.

Comment

Nick, you still need an owner?

Comment

Possibly not. I have a couple of guys who are considering it, and though I haven't heard for sure, it looks as if one or the other will take it.

Comment

Ok, sounds good. I was going to tell you I had to check with a couple of other leagues to make sure I have no auctions that day. But sounds like an interesting one!

Comment

The one guy I had in mind has indeed joined, but if anything happens that opens up another slot in the next month, I'll contact you ASAP. But for now, assume not this year. But yeah, it is a very interesting league, and those who read this thread and gave it not a second thought are gonna regret it...if they ever knew what they were missing, that is.

Comment

Working...
                          X