Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data question after reading Moneyball....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data question after reading Moneyball....

In Moneyball there is mention of the A's tracking how often a player swung at a pitch that was out of the strike zone. And this is presumably from 2002. I've long wanted some systematic data on this very trait as it seems a highly useful predictor or BPI. Can you tell me....

Is this kind of data common for professionals like major league clubs and/or companies like HQ?

Any chance this kind of data will make its way to the masses (like HQ subscribers) in the near future?
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

I assume that's the hitter equivalent of the data that Neil Bonner was looking at in his "Mastering the Pitching Process" series. If by some chance you missed it (there was a long discussion thread), click the 'Research and Analysis' section, it's in the Library there.

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
      I assume that's the hitter equivalent of the data that Neil Bonner was looking at in his "Mastering the Pitching Process" series. If by some chance you missed it (there was a long discussion thread), click the 'Research and Analysis' section, it's in the Library there.
      I did miss that....thanks for the tip.
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus_ls View Post
        I did miss that....thanks for the tip.
        Mark, it was a long series of articles that Neal wrote. If you don't have time to catch up, skip the first 4 parts or which were reprinted from a couple years ago to go straight to part 5 and part 6, the new material.
        Last edited by Michael@HQ; 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM. Reason: Corrected info; added link
        "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Working...
        X