Current xERA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current xERA?

It appears that the calculation for YTD xERA may be incorrect. Looking at NL pitchers
    that have over 100 innings, 49 out of 54 have a lower YTD xERA than YTD ERA. The
    situation is similar in the AL. Either every pitcher has been unlucky or there's some type
    of glitch.

The values in the sheet don't match what I get using the formula in the glossary with the default intercept of 2.77. And the error's not constant so it's not coming from the intercept.
    While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
    --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I haven't looked closely at this but has the YTD xERA been adjusted to reflect changes in the level of offense between 2006 and prior seasons? The formula for xERA that is published in HQ is based on simulations using data from prior seasons. 2006 has been an offense-heavy year.
      The Beanball Rotisserie Baseball League -- founded 1997 (7-team, AL-only 5x5 keeper league, 40-man rosters, 25-man active rosters, very limited access to free agents)
      League Championships: 1997, 1999, 2000, 2006

Comment

Don't think so. That would mean the expected scoring contribution of H/9, BB/9, HR/9, and/or K/9 have changed significantly. Anyway, it's not too useful as a predictor if the coefficients are that sensitive to 3/4 of a year's data.
        While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.
        --Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep. The expected contributions of each stat are definitely going to be senisitve to changes in the level of offense. I'm pretty sure this is what explains the fact that 49 out of 54 pitchers with 100+ IP have a lower YTD xERA than YTD ERA.

In my opinion, xERA, as published, is still very useful though re-running the simulation halfway through the year would enhance its precision. If you're worried about accounting for the level of offense, you can calculate a "quick and dirty" xERA by running a regression of ERA on k/9, bb/9 and gb% with a dummy for league. League offense levels equal, it won't be quite as accurate as Burnson's xERA which is the gold standard but it will account for the run-scoring environment in the league in 2006.

Here's a quick formula to try:

xERA ~ 5.83 - .296*k/9 + .352*bb/9 - .0142*gb% + .150*league

where league = 1 if AL, 0 if NL.
          gb% expressed as a number between 0 and 100; e.g. 45 not 0.45.
          Last edited by ajc730; 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM.
          The Beanball Rotisserie Baseball League -- founded 1997 (7-team, AL-only 5x5 keeper league, 40-man rosters, 25-man active rosters, very limited access to free agents)
          League Championships: 1997, 1999, 2000, 2006

Comment

Working...
          X