Data Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Downloads

Not sure if this belongs in "Help" forum or here?

I'm having trouble understanding the 12 download files:
    Projections (AL/NL, Hit/Pitch)
    Stats (AL/NL, Hit/Pitch)
    Current (AL/NL, Hit Pitch)

I thought I had a handle on it - Stats was YTD stats, which is what I want, with projections tacked on the end (duplicating what's in the projections files), which could be useful for many people.

But today I tried downloading and it doesn't appear the .csv downloads match up with the HTML viewable files. The projections and the stats seem to be reversed in the download links vs. what shows in the HTML view links? Or is it just me getting confused because there is duplicate projection data in both and the format of the downloaded file is messy???

Is there any way to either (a) simplify or (b) clarify the basic nature of each of these files? I looked all over that page and didn't find a "description" of the types of files anywhere. I thought it was supposed to be Stats and Projections but not understanding what the utility of "Current" is? And Projections becomes confusing because it seems to just duplicate the projections at far right of the Stats file. So what's the point of the separate Projections file?

Sorry if it's just me having these problems. These data downloads are extremely valuable - so I'm thankful and REALLY want them. But am totally frustrated that I can't seem to get a handle on what's what.

Thanks,
    -Mark
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
    Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

We've been having an internal discussion that the presentation of these files on the download page is a little less than intuitive, so:

a) your post is well-timed, and
    b) it's not just you having these issues.

Here's what I can tell you, apologies if this is redundant or stating the obvious. But it's a starting point.

The first file in each section "NL HITTERS", "AL PITCHERS", etc., in ALL CAPS, is the file that most closely resembles the prior format. It's divided in 2 sections left and right, with YTD stats and BPIs on the left, and Projected Stats and BPIs on the right side.

The second file going down is simply the projections... i.e. only the right side of the first file (as Markus observes). But for those who only want to work with projected data, this file is a little less cumbersome than the "combined" first file.

The third file is the current data, only raw numbers, without most BPIs. If you scroll right it also gives the Last 7 Days and Last 31 Days data, which can be useful for searching out playing time gainers, etc.

And yes, you're correct... the HTML files for the "combined" format show YTD on the left and Projections on the right, and the CSVs do the opposite. That's been pointed out before... to be honest, I'm not sure if we just haven't gotten around to fixing those yet, or if we decided not to mess with them in-season so as not to screw anyone up who has macros that manipulate those files.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by RAY@HQ
      We've been having an internal discussion that the presentation of these files on the download page is a little less than intuitive, so:

a) your post is well-timed, and
      b) it's not just you having these issues.
      Glad to hear that. (Many times it IS just me. )

Here's what I can tell you, apologies if this is redundant or stating the obvious. But it's a starting point.

The first file in each section "NL HITTERS", "AL PITCHERS", etc., in ALL CAPS, is the file that most closely resembles the prior format. It's divided in 2 sections left and right, with YTD stats and BPIs on the left, and Projected Stats and BPIs on the right side.

The second file going down is simply the projections... i.e. only the right side of the first file (as Markus observes). But for those who only want to work with projected data, this file is a little less cumbersome than the "combined" first file.

The third file is the current data, only raw numbers, without most BPIs. If you scroll right it also gives the Last 7 Days and Last 31 Days data, which can be useful for searching out playing time gainers, etc.
      THANK YOU for this summary. It helps tremendously.
      May I suggest you cut and paste this right onto the data download webpage to help others?

And yes, you're correct... the HTML files for the "combined" format show YTD on the left and Projections on the right, and the CSVs do the opposite. That's been pointed out before... to be honest, I'm not sure if we just haven't gotten around to fixing those yet, or if we decided not to mess with them in-season so as not to screw anyone up who has macros that manipulate those files.
      THAT was the part that really screwed me up. I thought I was downloading YTD from the top/caps link (and I was)....but when I opened the file I saw fields labeled "PROJ". Then I viewed the link instead of saving and still saw projection field labels. When I viewed the real projection link (2nd/middle csv) it just said R, RBI, SB, etc so it looked like actual data rather than projections and I thought the linking was backwards.

Hope this helps...
      Tremendously. Many, many thanks. BEST customer service anywhere!
      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Translation: Try to learn something new every day.
      Leagues: Auction - 15tm Mixed 6x6 ...... Snake - 15tm Mixed 5x5 live, 2x15tm Mixed 5x5 email, 15tm Mixed 5x5 email custom.

Comment

Ray....... Could you let me (us) know how often the data is updated? If I understand the projection files (ALL CAPS) are updated weekly and the current files are updated daily?

Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks

rob
        Rob

Comment

All files updated every day... major projection changes (trades, other playing time adjustments) are still only occurring on Fridays.

Comment

Working...
          X