Is there a URL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timg
    Yes, it was clearly a last pick thing where money wasn't particularly relevant. And, sometimes an empty slot is better than having an active MLer.
    I wrote this in another thread, but here is my thinking on this:

I think this was by design. Now, Ron will write and completely discredit me but here's how it panned out.

This was Ron's last slot. By the time he took Marte and later Gordon, the pickings at 3B and 1B were pretty darn slim. So here are his alternatives:

1. Draft zombies like Chris Gomez or JT Snow, whose only "upsides", if you could call it that, would be the chance for more ABs with which to wreck your BA.

2. Draft someone like Gordon, who offers multiple upsides (as I loop into yet another colon):

a. He's probably KC's top offensive prospect
    b. He plays in the KC system and only has Teahen to beat out ahead of him
    c. He's making some noise in ST (.351/.455/.405 and 7/8 BB/K ratio)
    d. He has little chance to sit all year not getting ABs for you
    e. He has little chance of getting a lot of ABs sucking at the major league level since the Royals would simply demote him if he showed that he was overmatched

So if at any point he gets sent down, either at the start of the season or after a bad start, Ron gets to replace him with someone like Quinlan or Gload or even Gomez, and he's no worse off than if he'd drafted one of these guys, and he still has the potential that Gordon will rip it up in AAA and get promoted again.

All in all, I thought it was a reasonable risk and a good strategy. Whether the entire thing -- drafting Young, Marte and Gordon -- was by design or came about as a result of in-draft dynamics, only Ron knows, but I think he made a good choice in a tough spot.
    "Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"
    - Stephen Hopkins, Delegate from RI in the film "1776"

Comment

Originally posted by Patioboater
      What did I learn from it all? That if I'm sitting around on a Saturday watching somebody else's rotisserie draft, I really am a sad and pathetic geek.
      Ah, but if you came in person, there were free snacks!!

OK, that sounded even more sad and pathetic.
      "Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!"
      - Stephen Hopkins, Delegate from RI in the film "1776"

Comment

Originally posted by maisany
        Ah, but if you came in person, there were free snacks!!

OK, that sounded even more sad and pathetic.
        Saddest and most pathetic of all was me sitting here going, "Oh, man, I missed out on free snacks."

I'm the winner (or is that loser?) in the sad-sack Saturday geek-off!
        2021 Teams: Pandemic Petrels - 15-team mixed redraft (HQ Forum Masters); Patioboater's Puddle Ducks - 15-team, mixed, slow-draft-and-hold (HQ Slow Winter Draft); Regal Beagles - AL keeper (I-96 League), on hold for 2020.

3x Champion of the Forum Masters League, 2x Champion of the HQ Slow Draft League - Sic transit gloria mundi

Comment

Working...
        X