Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone want to do a Draft and Hold League?

Quote Originally Posted by Posada Adventure View Post
    Everyone’s competitive level? I know Larry set this up for fun & there’s no $$$ involved, still what’s everyone’s competitive level when it comes to this contest?
    I keep saying it's just for fun, but when the clock strikes zero, my competitive juices start flowing. So I'm like you.
    What's the rumpus?

For newcomers to Fantrax like me, if you click the little spy glass by "Draft Board" in the top right hand corner, it opens up a screen to show all picks to date.
    What's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
    For newcomers to Fantrax like me, if you click the little spy glass by "Draft Board" in the top right hand corner, it opens up a screen to show all picks to date.

Is it a spy glass or a magnifying glass?

Hmmm. That might be a tougher choice then my first round pick

what ive done in the our slow HQ league. If your interested in the draft board. I cut and paste to excel at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by circle360 View Post
    Is it a spy glass or a magnifying glass?
    Don't laugh, but I couldn't remember the word for magnifying glass so I said spy glass. Old age is hell.
    What's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by soapsup View Post
    I'm all set...I draft 8th and I have 9 players in my Q, just in case..

I'm sure Mike Trout will fall to me...
    And you were only off by a little!

Don't laugh, but I couldn't remember the word for magnifying glass so I said spy glass. Old age is hell.
    Only an old person would say spy glass instead of magnifying glass, as spy glasses are even further out of date than magnifying glasses. Fortunately, I am pretty sure that this crowd is old enough to remember both. I fear that some of my younger coworkers would not know what a magnifying glass is.

I've seen you draft. It really doesn't matter much.
    Harsh, but fair.
    2020 Teams: Pandemic Petrels - 15-team mixed redraft (HQ Forum Masters); plus teams in three 15-team, mixed, slow-draft-and-hold leagues: Patioboater's Puddle Ducks (winter draft); April Anatidae (April draft); Mayday Ducks (May draft.)

Regal Beagles - 7-team AL keeper (I-96 League) on hold for 2020.

3x Champion of the Forum Masters League, 2x Champion of the HQ Slow Draft League - Sic transit gloria mundi

Quote Originally Posted by Posada Adventure View Post
    Everyoneís competitive level?
    Mostly just for funsies, but still going to try to put together the best team I can and manage it as well as possible if the season ever happens.

In general I figured this would be a good way for me to keep the player pool in mind and spend a little time each day thinking about something other than Covid-19.
    2020 Teams: Pandemic Petrels - 15-team mixed redraft (HQ Forum Masters); plus teams in three 15-team, mixed, slow-draft-and-hold leagues: Patioboater's Puddle Ducks (winter draft); April Anatidae (April draft); Mayday Ducks (May draft.)

3x Champion of the Forum Masters League, 2x Champion of the HQ Slow Draft League - Sic transit gloria mundi

This is draft and hold but not best ball right? I was thinking for some reason the best lineup would be pulled each day in a best ball type format. Not sure why I am posting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its not best ball. Draft and hold. No pickups. No trades.

weekly lineups if season plays out, right?

Weekly lineups 5 min before first game on monday

On Canseco my bad didnít get any emails or notification

Hey Maine

what do you want for a team name? Just saw your post in chat

MaineSkin or Allen Sarvinas whichever people are using. Thanks. Itís on Phillies Phever now

Well, what the hell do we do now?
    What's the rumpus?

We need a group chat somewhere.

So I can vent. I dont want to get an email from Ray just saying REALLY? lol

Well, what the hell do we do now?
    Watch the NFL draft for awhile, but then.......?

As I said in the chat, I vote for taking the weekend off then firing up another one. It's not as if we all need to make substantial changes to our rankings to reflect anything. (I would literally just make a copy of my Excel sheet and remove the highlighting. It should take me about five minutes to be ready for another draft.)

FWIW, these draft-and-hold leagues hardly take any time at all to manage during the season: five minutes if you just replace injured and/or ineffective guys once a week, and maybe ten minutes if you're streaming starting pitchers or dubious platoon hitters. You don't have any of the time needed to try to do trades, scrub the free-agent wire, etc. I guess if you really work hard at it you could spend an hour or two, but it wouldn't make your results any better.

BTW, how crazy is the NFL draft going to be? It's going to be like all of us sitting at home and drafting online.

I forgot they have a chat on the home page.

https://www.fantrax.com/newui/fantas...tjf8njk8j50ex3

Id be up for that in a week PB

Its not like it took up a lot of time to prep. Plus its basically setting your lineup every sunday night for monday. SO not a ton of prep work.

Tonight is going to be interesting. I wonder if we will see a ton of trades. Since not everyone is in the same room

If anyone is interested again

Shoot me a PM

I'm no ratings expert, but I'd be amazed if tonight's NFL Round 1 doesn't get more eyeballs than Game 7 of the 2019 World Series.
    NL 12-team 5x5 auction keeper. no bench, limited 'free' moves #oldschool
    our owners have a combined 292 years of experience in this 36-year-old league that is being cryogenically frozen until spring 2021.
    a redraft, no-transaction "race to the finish" served as our 2020 entertainment

I suspect we'll see similar trade action in the first round or two, since a lot of those deals are already worked out in advance, at least provisionally. It might be trickier in the later rounds when the time for each pick goes down. But usually front offices are in their own building anyway and working the phones to make a deal.

The biggest difference might be a spread in the player evaluations. I saw somewhere, somebody speculating that there won't be as much conventional wisdom about which players should go in which round, since a lot of that solidifies as GMs, coaches, scouts, etc., talk to one another at pro days. And by the same token, the usual pundits haven't been able to gather as much info from front offices and scouts about who they like or don't like. That might lead to a lot of guys going in surprising places.

Quote Originally Posted by Patioboater View Post
    I suspect we'll see similar trade action in the first round or two, since a lot of those deals are already worked out in advance, at least provisionally. It might be trickier in the later rounds when the time for each pick goes down. But usually front offices are in their own building anyway and working the phones to make a deal.

The biggest difference might be a spread in the player evaluations. I saw somewhere, somebody speculating that there won't be as much conventional wisdom about which players should go in which round, since a lot of that solidifies as GMs, coaches, scouts, etc., talk to one another at pro days. And by the same token, the usual pundits haven't been able to gather as much info from front offices and scouts about who they like or don't like. That might lead to a lot of guys going in surprising places.

Well it depends on if a player slides and someone finally says screw it and makes a deal for him

See TUA. Ive seen him projected to go all over the place - 5th , 6th and Peter king had him going 13th. If he doesnt go 6th. It will be interesting to see what team moves up to make a deal for him

Your right the mocks are a ton of speculation this year. Since the players didnt have pro days. Most of them were done via ZOOM