Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ROTO League Looking for Owners (Mixed, Snake,Keepers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ROTO League Looking for Owners (Mixed, Snake,Keepers)

"New" Roto League Seeks Owners (Mixed, 6 x 5,Keepers, CBS)

We are rebooting a 32-season league (Lou Piniella League) with "LPL 2". Three owners who were with league from day number one are with us. Here are the abbreviated rules:

UPDATE ----- We've already signed two new owners. Need to add three to five more. Fun Group, loves to trade, hop aboard!

----- Snake draft, order determined by randomizer program. (Initial season only)
    ----- Numbers of Teams - 10 (minimum) to 14 (maximum.)
    ----- Categories - Hitting (6) Runs, RBI, HRs, Net SBs, AVG. and Total Bases +Walks + HBP; Pitching (5) Net Wins (Wins minus Losses), ERA, WHIP, Net Savesplus Holds (Saves minus Blown Saves plus Holds), and Strikeouts.
    ----- Roster: Active Position Players (15) - 1 each at 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, C, MiINFand CoINF, 5 OFers, and 3 DHs; Active Pitchers (11) - 5 Starters minimum and 8maximum, and 3 Relievers minimum and 6 maximum. Bench (5) - any combination ofPosition Players and Pitchers, including Minor Leaguers (must be Rookie of theYear eligible: Hitters < 130 ABs and Pitchers < 50 IPs in MLB.)
    ----- Keepers - 5.
    ----- Stats Provider/Draft Room - CBS
    ----- Commissioner - Rich Murphy and Deputy Commissioner - Rich Murphy, Jr.
    ----- Draft - Online.
    ----- Draft Date - 10:30 a.m., Saturday, March 21st, 2020.
    ----- Team Fee - $ 200.00 for returning owners, $ 175.00 for new owners
    ----- Team fees less CBS fee to be held by PayPal.
    ----- Payouts - 1st place through 4th place.
    ----- Rules as listed in Constitution.
    ----- Free Agents - weekly, one per team; rosters frozen for final week.Submission deadline: Sunday nights, by 9 p.m. Based on reverse order ofstandings on Sunday night.
    ----- Trades are official once one owner announces and the other confirms.Trading period open from mid-April to week in late August.
    ----- Trades can include future picks from mid-July to week ending closestto Labor Day. Offseason Winter Trading Period: 10 days in February,beginning at noon of the Monday following Super Bowl.

----- Any questions? Send them to Rich Murphy at rjm713@aol.com, and I'll getback to you.

Last edited by RJM713; 02-17-2020, 04:35 PM. Reason: Update
    "Specious apologist" for everything Yankees and newly-elected Hall of Famer, five-time World Champion, five-time Gold Glove Award winner, and captain of the Bronx Bombers for twelve seasons - # 2, the great Derek "Just Enough" Jeter

___________ "Maybe it was a computer glitch." - Derek Jeter, upon learning that he had won a Gold Glove ____________

Founder/Commissioner, "Lou Piniella League" est'd 1988 & "LPL 2.0" est'd 2020
    Snake, Mixed, Keeper, 34-man Rosters (15H, 11P, 8 Reserves)
    Owner, DIAMOND CUTTERS - 10X Champions (1988-'89, 1992,'95, 2000-'01-'02, 2013,'15,'18)

Rich, is this the LPL reborn? The Derek Jeter League?

I'm interested.

Comment

Rich,

How/Why does a league of 32 years 'close its run'? Is there a story for those of us with long-term leagues? Thx

Bluester

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_T View Post
        Rich, is this the LPL reborn? The Derek Jeter League?

I'm interested.
        Hey Tom,

Yes, this is indeed a reboot of the Lou Piniella League. I didn't really consider naming it after The Captain, but maybe I should just to aggravate "Howie M.", no? After all, I AM the "specious apologist" for "all things Yankees" - which as all of my HQ Yankees Bros. in here know is pretty far from being truthful, but what the hell, now you've planted a seed in my head - damn you, Tom!

Funny, this is the first time I've remembered to check in HQ to see if there were any bites. Duh. Hey, if you want to join up again, we'd LOVE to have another HQ baseball savant in the group. Don't know if you remember, but along with Rich Jr., we have Jack Piccinninni coming back as well from the old group. Two of the other guys are my best friend since high school, college, and my best man, Tom Young, who resides in Vermont - he's a lifelong Giants and Willie Mays fan, so you KNOW we had plenty of heated debates over him and # 7. The other gent is a young man who hails from down near Houston, Texas by the name of Jereme Hubbard. He's a super nice fellow who is an Asterisks fan; I've been very kind not to let him have it over the sign-stealing bruhaha --- yet.

In the past 36 hours I have signed-on a Cubs' fan from Aurora, Illinois, and have THREE other names "on the hook" so to speak. I feel really good about getting at least one of them, with a second telling me he'll let me know on Thursday - a fellow that you and I know all too well from the HQ Forum group, "Circle 360", or as he's known in the real world, Larry Chielli. I have been trying to get him to join us since "W" won his first term in the White House! Hopefully, this will finally be the charm, as he too would be a most welcome add to the group.

Here's what an expanded version of the Constitution currently looks like. It's still not quite finalized, as Junior is down with the flu at home and I'm waiting on him for any minor changes that he might feel are needed:

Lou Piniella League est. 1988 (To be Effective 2020 Season)
        Rich Murphy Sr., Commissioner Rich Murphy Jr., Deputy Commissioner

Section I

Fees, Prize Monies
        • One-time fee of
        $ 200. Prize Monies: 1st to 4th place. League fees, minus expenses, held by "LeagueSafe".

Statistics
        • Standings and statistics are compiled by CBSsports.com.
        • Highest point totals accrued through 162‐game MLB schedule determines League Champion. Games played to break ties beyond Game # 162 will not count. Tie‐breakers: 1.) Categories won head‐to‐head and 2.) Batting Average.

Rosters and Eligibility
        • Composition:
        Twenty‐six (26) players - Fifteen (15) hitters - one each at C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS; CO INF, MID INF, three (3) DH/UTIL, and five OF. Eleven (11) pitchers ‐ five (5) starters min., eight (8) max., three (3) relievers min., six (6) max.
        • Any hitter is eligible at DH/UTIL; hitters who only qualify at DH/UTIL are limited to DH/UTIL.
        • Position Eligibility: 1.) Draft Day – hitters, twenty (20) games in prior season. Otherwise, where majority of games were played. Pitchers, 20 GS, or else majority as starter or reliever. 2.) In‐Season ‐ five (5) games for both.
        • Position to position moves allowed without restriction; five (5) game minimum applies.
        • Players drafted in
        Rounds 1 – 20, whether on MLB or MiLB rosters may be carried on active roster.
        RDs 21-22. Excludes unsigned Japanese, other foreign league players, undrafted high school and college players.
        • Minor Leaguer Eligibility: based on MLB Rookie of the Year qualifications. 1. Position players - less than 130 at‐bats in prior season. 2. Pitchers - less than 50 IP in prior season.

Scoring Categories
        • 1.) Hitting ‐ Average, Home Runs, RBI, Total Bases + Walks + Hit by Pitch, Runs and Net Stolen Bases. 2.) Pitching ‐ Net Wins, Net Saves + Holds, ERA, Ratio and Ks. Points awarded on a highest to lowest, equal weight basis.

Section II

The Draft and Picks
        • Date: Held on Saturday in mid to late March as determined by Commissioner.
        • Number of Rounds: Total –
        Twenty-two (22) with Rounds 21 and 22 to select Farm/Minor League players.)
        • Farm players may be activated, reserved or traded without restriction. Players who continue to meet ROY qualifications at season-end may be retained for following season, traded, or returned to free agent pool.
        The Minor Leaguer draft picks (Rounds 21 and 22) may be traded like any other pick.
        • “Aroldis Chapman Rule”: Players under suspension at start of season who are drafted, must remain on active roster for duration of suspension.
        • Draft order: Reverse order of prior season's final standings, modified by off‐season trades.
        • Trading of draft picks: Picks may be traded in‐season from approximately May 15th to approximately August 15th, and in the offseason during ten-day Winter Trade Period (WTP,) commencing on the first Monday in February.
        • Multiple‐Pick Rounds: Rounds 1 – 10, limited to maximum of five (5) and from Round 11 on, no limit.
        • Trade-balancing Picks: cannot exceed two (2) in any round; additional inherited picks are moved to nearest preceding round with fewer than two inherited picks.
        • Upon conclusion of WTP, at which time submission of keepers is due, all multiple-pick rounds must not exceed five (5) and multiple picks, two (2).

Keepers
        • Number: Five (5) per team. Injured players: 1.) Players declared as keepers who will start season on D.L., can be replaced on Opening Day.

Free Agents
        • Priority: Awarded as follows: 1.) D.L.‐replacements, one free agent per team, last place team first. 2.) Odd‐man trade replacements, and 3) FA claims, awarded same as 1.) Order of awarding replacements to be determined by Standings as of end of play
        on Sunday night.
        • Alternate Choices: Insufficient lists of names will result in roster with open slot(s) until filled.
        • Weekly Limit: two (2) per team. Effective Week 23-25, one (1) FA move per week. Week 26, rosters are frozen. D.L.-related and trade filler pick-ups do not count against weekly limit.

Trades
        • All trades must be announced via e‐mail to entire League. Trades become official after one owner announces trade and second owner confirms it. Trades are made with "caveat emptor" understanding. Disputed trades are subject to review. Trades are permissible from approximately May 15th to August 15th and during ten-day February WTP.
        • Farm players who are traded may be replaced by another eligible Minor Leaguer. Players who lose ROY eligibility must be activated or dropped to FA pool, and may no longer occupy Farm slot.

Transaction Deadlines
        Sunday Free Agent moves: 10 p.m., ET. Daily D.L. activation moves: addressed in order received, and effective same day if time-stamped prior to first pitch of affected player’s MLB game; if received later, move is effective next day. Daily trades: effective same day, if announced, confirmed, and all involved players' games have not begun. Otherwise, effective date will be next day. FA roster “fillers” resulting from odd‐man deals: awarded upon trade confirmation.

Disabled List
        • Eligibility: Players placed on MLB disabled list. Players do not have to be activated by MLB club as a prerequisite to being activated by LPL owner. Players who are injured post-draft and will begin season on the D.L., are eligible to be replaced prior to Opening Day on a first-come, first-served basis.

Suspensions/Paternity Leave
        • Players suspended for 50-plus games (PED-related use) may be immediately reserved and activated upon being added to MLB roster. Players suspended for MLB or team disciplinary reasons do not merit “reserve” privileges. Players placed on Paternity Leave may be reserved, but period on LPL Reserve must be for minimum of seven (7) days, regardless of when player is activated by MLB team.

Date: 2 - 11 - 20
        ================================================== ================================================== ================

Look it over and get back to me with a "YES" response, because now you have my interest piqued re your returning to the fold!
        "Specious apologist" for everything Yankees and newly-elected Hall of Famer, five-time World Champion, five-time Gold Glove Award winner, and captain of the Bronx Bombers for twelve seasons - # 2, the great Derek "Just Enough" Jeter

___________ "Maybe it was a computer glitch." - Derek Jeter, upon learning that he had won a Gold Glove ____________

Owner, DIAMOND CUTTERS - 10X Champions (1988-'89, 1992,'95, 2000-'01-'02, 2013,'15,'18)

Comment

Originally posted by bluester View Post
          Rich, How/Why does a league of 32 years 'close its run'? Is there a story for those of us with long-term leagues? Thx, Bluester
          Rich,

How/Why does a league of 32 years 'close its run'? Is there a story for those of us with long-term leagues? Thx

Bluester

bluester,

Funny you should ask. I'll try to be as concise as I can (tho' that probably won't happen):

The first guy to leave was my deputy commish and he was a lifer from Day One. He won his first title way back in '92 and left us as the 2019 LPL Champion for ring # 2. He's from Long Island, but married and moved out west to "Sin City" about ten years ago. This past season saw him pretty much lead all season, but after he dealt away his first ten '20 draft picks and I my first six to pick-up somne names for the stretch drive, the battle over the last two months was between him, me, and another guy. I actually tied him and led in H-2-H categories on Wednesday of the final week, but he pulled back in front to beat me by 2 points. Next thing after I sent him his money, he tells me he couldn't do it anymore, as our relentless dog chase simply took the fun out of it for him. Oh well .......

Defector # 1

Then a guy who's been a pain in my ass ever since he joined in season 2 shocks me and says he's done for some reason that was disingenuous. He really left because his best friend (above) announced his departure, AND in his thirty-one years in the LPL, he won exactly NEVER. Adios, loser. Defector # 2

Then two fellows who were my son's age and who he brought on board about seventeen seasons ago, and who co-owned a team, left because one guy was a newlywed and the other one was newly-girlfriended (is that a word?) Defector # 3

Then a guy who moved-out to Oakland and who is developing a "life changing software product" told me he would be spending most of his time in Tokyo this year, and just couldn't put in the time. Defector # 4

Another co-owned team then announces that they can't continue because their lousy draft doomed them to a 13th place finish. (And that was MY fault?)
          Defector # 5

The snowball becomes a full-blown avalanche as another guy my son brought in for the '02 season tells me that his two boys are consuming every minute of his time as they play Little League ball. Defector # 6

Almost done ..............

Defector # 7 calls to tell me he now plans to spend his time in retirement by travelling the world and living the good life with his new girlfriend, and Defectors # 8 and # 9 just leave because they felt like it and liked being a "sheep", I guess.
          ================================================== ================================================== ==================================
          So there you have it. The disappearance of NINE of our fourteen franchises over a period of about a week's time. The only advice I can give is that you can never anticipate when a guy or guys will just up and leave. In my case, with the exception of one owner, all had been with me for nearly 20 seasons - an exceptionally long time for one group to stay together. The only "warning sign" that I didn't see coming was the block of guys - all my son's age - whose real life situations changed dramatically and understandably regarding the commitment time-wise that they could no longer devote to the LPL.

The end result? A multi-headed vortex of exits all at the same exact time!

I'm happy to say that in the past 72 hours I have gotten one new owner in the fold, and have four excellent prospects in the pipeline, so if this continues, I may very well get at least back up to a dozen owners, and that would be swell. Beyond that would be magnificent.

Comment

Rich, I am interested, but I have NFBC drafts in Las Vegas on both days. Sounds like a great league.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey John,

Ah, that's a bummer. Historically, we have usually begun the proceedings at 10:30 a.m., and either broken for lunch for a half hour around 1 p.m. or simply soldiered-on and continued to the end.

We're drafting on Saturday, the 21st. Don't know what your start time is - looks like majority are at either 1 or 4:30 p.m.? You'll have a three-hour cushion out there, and depending on what your start time is, just some options: a) do the first 10 rounds or so yourself and have a proxy finish-up for you, and b) reverse the first option and have a proxy draft the first ten rounds or so, with or w/o calls to you for your input (might be impossible to swing the latter) or so and then you can pick it up from wherever.

Of course if you have an early morning draft, that eliminates above ideas, but if you were going late at 7:30 p.m., you could pull our draft off starting at 7:30 in the morning (yikes!) and then you'd have time for a nap and any last-hour prep for the "night shift."

Again, just some random thoughts. If none are feasible, I certainly understand.

Comment

Yes, I draft at 10:00 AM. 1:00 PM your time.

I will need to spend some of that morning with last minute prep and getting ready.

Keep me in mind down the road.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Rich,

I was traveling out of the country and just saw your response to my question about what happened to the old league. Thank you for taking the time and even when you're with a group of players for a very long time things can change on a dime. Full season old school roto is not something that people do much these days and I know in my long-time league I count the blessings that we have not suffered the kinds of events you have described although there have been one or two times where it seemed possible.

Bluester

Comment

Rich,

I was traveling out of the country and just saw your response to my question about what happened to the old league. Thank you for taking the time and even when you're with a group of players for a very long time things can change on a dime. Full season old school roto is not something that people do much these days and I know in my long-time league I count the blessings that we have not suffered the kinds of events you have described although there have been one or two times where it seemed possible.

Bluester
                    Bluester,

Yes, you're correct. "Old school" doesn't feature the bells & whistles of the newer forms of fantasy play these days. I also think that the online betting sites are hurting our "commitment leagues" as they appeal more to the instant gratification of their fan base, as opposed to the time and effort it takes to win a money league over the long haul of a sixth-month long season, or even a three-month or 13-week short season. It gives me a lot of satisfaction when I beat guys who are mostly either my long-time friends or my son's buddies (a/k/a the young bloods.) You have to earn every dollar that you win, whereas I feel that betting and winning on games on a daily basis or a much shorter period of time, can at times be subject the winds of luck or simply making the right play at the right time........ not that there's anything wrong with that, because there isn't.

I'm past the point of being rewired to try my hand at new formats, although I must say that I'd very much like to try my hand at an auction league with Rich Jr. some day. He did so a few years back, and he said it's pretty cool, so we'll see.

Comment

FYI, I have joined this league, and have played with Rich many times in the past, and I highly recommend it. Rich is always on the ball as a commish. It's an interesting format and very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_T View Post
                        FYI, I have joined this league, and have played with Rich many times in the past, and I highly recommend it. Rich is always on the ball as a commish. It's an interesting format and very competitive.

I appreciate the kind words, Tom. (The check is in the mail.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jlscull View Post
                          Yes, I draft at 10:00 AM. 1:00 PM your time.

I will need to spend some of that morning with last minute prep and getting ready.

Keep me in mind down the road.

Thanks,

John
                          Good Day John,

Mindful that rescheduling of a lot of drafts lie ahead, I'm still looking to add more owners to the group. I'll throw this out for you:

Whenever our LPL 2 draft is rescheduled, I will pass that information on to you. I can say with certainty that it will be on a Saturday or Sunday, and I have moved the time from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Perhaps your NFBC weekend event will not clash with ours. If you are still open to jumping on board, you'll be able to tell me if the date that I send to you is workable, and vice versa, sound good?

You'd be a welcome addition to our group, and I hope it can be worked-out. Oh, one other item of interest: I have reduced the fee for new owners for a second time, to $ 150.00 (for first season only.)

Be well,

Rich

Comment

Is there still openings in this league.

Comment

League Seeks Owners (Mixed, 6 x 5,Keepers, CBS, LeagueSafe)

We are rebooting a 32-season league (Lou Piniella League) with "LPL 2". Five owners who were with league from day number one are with us. Here are the abbreviated rules:

UPDATE ----- EIGHT NEW OWNERS HAVE BEEN ADDED! WILL POSSIBLY ADD TWO MORE IN FEBRUARY FOR 2021 SEASON, BUT HAVE THREE NAMES ON WAITING LIST. WILL COME BACK IF I DO NOT SIGN TWO OF THOSE NAMES. THANKS FOR THE ENTHUSIASTIC RESPONSE, GUYS!

----- Snake draft, order determined randomly by CBS.
                              ----- Numbers of Teams - 10 (minimum) to 15 (maximum.)
                              ----- Categories - Hitting (6) Runs, RBI, HRs, Net SBs, AVG. and Total Bases +Walks + HBP; Pitching (5) Net Wins (Wins minus Losses), ERA, WHIP, Net Saves
                              plus Holds (Saves minus Blown Saves plus Holds), and Strikeouts.
                              ----- Roster: Active Position Players (15) - 1 each at 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, C, MidINF and CorINF, 5 OF, and 3 DHs; Active Pitchers (11) - 5 Starters minimum and 8
                              maximum, and 3 Relievers minimum and 6 maximum. Bench (5) - any combination of Position Players and Pitchers, including Minor Leaguers (must be Rookie of the Year eligible: Hitters < 130 ABs and Pitchers < 50 IPs in MLB.)
                              ----- Keepers - 5.
                              ----- Stats Provider/Draft Room - CBS
                              ----- Commissioner - Rich Murphy and Deputy Commissioner - Rich Murphy, Jr.
                              ----- Draft - Online.
                              ----- Draft Date - 10:30 a.m., Saturday, March 21st, 2020.
                              ----- Team Fee - $ 200.00 for returning owners, $ 175.00 for new owners
                              ----- Team fees less CBS fee to be held by League Safe.
                              ----- Payouts - 1st place through 4th place.
                              ----- Rules as listed in Constitution.
                              ----- Free Agents - weekly, one per team; rosters frozen for final week. Submission deadline: Sunday nights, by 9 p.m. Based on reverse order of standings on Sunday night.
                              ----- Trades are official once one owner announces and the other confirms. Trading period open from mid-April to week in late August.
                              ----- Trades can include future picks from mid-July to week ending closest to Labor Day. Offseason Winter Trading Period: 10 days in February, beginning at noon of the Monday following Super Bowl
                              ----- Any questions? Send them to Rich Murphy at rjm713@aol.com, and I'll get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X