Ray Murphy suggested I posted this question to the forums. (I hope I chose the right one).

My question is about players out of options who are designated for assignment.

I’m reasonably confident that I understand most of the basic rules regarding options, and, as I understand it, if a team wants to send an out of options player to the minors, they must first designate said player for assignment and risk losing him on waivers first.

Scenario A: this player (let’s call him Matt Koch) successfully passes through waivers and is sent to the minors. One thing I’m not sure of is, if the team promotes him later that year, does he again have to be designated for assignment and be exposed to waivers if the team demotes him to the minors a second time that same season? (he’s already passed through waivers once)
Scenario B: the same player in Scenario A successfully passes through waivers in 2019. In 2020, his team again wishes to demote him. Since I’m pretty sure the player is still out of options, does that player again have to be designated for assignment and be exposed to waivers? (If the answer to this is “yes”, am I correct in assuming this happens every time he is demoted to the minors for the rest of his career? If the answer to this is “no”, how long does the “exemption” last? Every season?)
Scenario C: an out of options player is claimed by another team (let’s call him Sam Freeman). Later that same season, his new team wishes to demote him. Does his new team again have to designate him for assignment and expose him to waivers? (Based on something I read on Rotoworld re Freeman, and based on what happened to Chris Stratton, I believe the answer is “yes.”)
Scenario D: the same player in Scenario C successfully passes through waivers in 2019. In 2020, his new team again wishes to demote him. Does *this* player again have to be designated for assignment and be exposed to waivers? (If the answer to this is “yes”, am I correct in assuming this happens every time he is demoted to the minors for the rest of his career? If the answer to this is “no”, how long does the “exemption” last? Every season?)
Scenario E: an out of options player is claimed by another team, only to have his new team designate him for assignment, and he is claimed by a third team (let’s call him Chris Stratton). If this third team wishes to demote him, does the third team have to designate him for assignment and expose him to waivers? (I’m guessing the answer is “yes”)
Scenario F: the same player in Scenario E successfully passes through waivers in 2019. In 2020, his new team again wishes to demote him. Does *this* player again have to be designated for assignment and be exposed to waivers? (If the answer to this is “yes”, am I correct in assuming this happens every time he is demoted to the minors for the rest of his career? If the answer to this is “no”, how long does the “exemption” last? Every season?)
Scenario G: If an out of options player is signed to a minor league contract and is subsequently promoted to the majors, does this player have to be designated for assignment and be exposed to waivers? (I’m guessing the answer is “yes”)

I hope all this makes sense, but if it doesn’t. please ask and I’ll try to clarify.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can provide.