Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mapping ADPs to auction value (Bill Macey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping ADPs to auction value (Bill Macey)

y = -9.8ln(x) + 57.8

Could someone please explain this to me? If I was using this equation with the number 1 ADP what would it look like?

Thanks

Originally posted by philatusa View Post
    y = -9.8ln(x) + 57.8

Could someone please explain this to me? If I was using this equation with the number 1 ADP what would it look like?

Thanks
    http://youtu.be/YtpkrIS4Sig?hd=1

Comment

LN indicates "natural logarithm." A scientific calculator, including the one in Windows, has this function. But it's going to be easiest to do it in Excel. Let's say you have a spreadsheet in which ADP is located in Column K, and you have empty columns L and M and you want to show the calculated value in column M. Row 1 is your header row, so you have values beginning in row 2.

In Column L, row 2, type this:

=LN(K2)

In Column M, row 2, type this:

= (-9.8*L2) + 57.8

Then fill those formulas in the rest of the rows in those columns.

Comment

JonE is completely correct.

As an aside, given the asymptotic nature of the natural log function, I wouldn't rely on the formula for the very early picks. Also, to the extent you're in a mixed league, NFBC recently starting making actual AAVs available. Looks like Trout (consensus #1 pick) is going for $51 on average.

(https://playnfbc.shgn.com/adp/baseball)

Comment

Okay, in case I'm not the only one who might have to look it up, "asymptotic" means approaching but never quite reaching a limit.
          "I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!" -- Bill James on The Simpsons

Comment

Thanks fellas, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X