Clear All

• bookmark58
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• JimTurkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
    There are numerous posts on this topic over the years, but the short answer is that HQ and Rotolab prices will never match exactly, unless you choose the option in Rotolab to use the exact HQ values (which you can do under the Settings section in Rotolab).

There are just too many different controls, sliders, and tweaks available on either side... all of the controls in the Custom Draft Guide on the site side, and all of the controls/sliders/knobs you can turn in Rotolab. You can get them in the neighborhood, but that's really as close as you can get without totally disappearing down a wormhole.
    I've found the varying values to be useful, especially in instances where I'm unsure of what I want to value someone. Let's take Darvish, Myers or Mauer, for example. Being able to have 2 values, each of which I trust the methodology in which they were reached, gives me some bit of idea/confidence/range when bidding. It also gives me a heads up when preparing for a draft and estimating what others value certain players at. Of course, there are the anomalies like Uehara and Nolasco that I just throw out from the start and choose to go with Value A, Value B, or somewhere in between.

As someone who was anal about the values not matching up when I first used Rotolab, I've learned that the differences can be a very useful tool.

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    There are numerous posts on this topic over the years, but the short answer is that HQ and Rotolab prices will never match exactly, unless you choose the option in Rotolab to use the exact HQ values (which you can do under the Settings section in Rotolab).

There are just too many different controls, sliders, and tweaks available on either side... all of the controls in the Custom Draft Guide on the site side, and all of the controls/sliders/knobs you can turn in Rotolab. You can get them in the neighborhood, but that's really as close as you can get without totally disappearing down a wormhole.

Leave a comment:

• bookmark58
    replied
    I have not made any changes yet to the BHQ loaded data on Rotolab yet, but I am seeing differences in player values (5x5) on the Rotolab software versus what is on the BHQ site (same projections on both); in some cases very different.

A sample of AL pitchers seems to indicate a narrower range of values on Rotolab than the BHQ website; some examples are

Darvish $29, Uehara $22, Iwakuma $17, Arroyo $12, and Nolasco $9 on rotolab whereas we get
    Darvish $32, Uehara $31, Iwakuma $21, Arroyo $7, and Nolasco $1 on BHQ website. (

A sample of AL hitters shows that they are usually with $1-3 different but then you find something like the following:

Will Myers is $22 on the software and $20 on BHQ website and then a similarly valued player, Joe Mauer, is $20 on the software and $23 on the BHQ website.

I assume that the pricing formulas are different (big impact on someone like Uehara or Nolasco), which raises the question if we are downloading BHQ data why wouldn't we have BHQ pricing formulas as default. What is the softwares default based on?

Are all these differences due to pricing differences?

Leave a comment:

• usualsuspects
    replied
    Is there a software program that is recommended if one does not want to use the HQ projections (gasp!)? I like to do my own. But I don't like to do my own software development! So if Rotolab, or Rotowire, or Rotochamp, or Fantastics, or Benson, or Patton or DiamondDraft or the BP PFM had a program that would easily let me import my own projection set (versus, saving changes which I make to theirs) that also had draft tracking and team managing functionality I would buy it in a heartbeat. But it seems like most come welded to their own set of projections.

Leave a comment:

• gjborr
    replied
    I have used a few draft software in my time. From John Benson's to Rotowire to a few I forgot. But by far Rotolab is the best.

Leave a comment:

• Old Tom
    replied
    Originally posted by angryelvis View Post
    I have never used Rotolab but I did use the RotoWire software and was very happy with it. I used it for both auction & snake. Their ipad software showed promise. I wouldn't use it for a high value league but bet it would be useful otherwise.
    I've used the software from RotoWire. RotoWire is my friend. But you, RotoWire, are no RotoLab.

Leave a comment:

• angryelvis
    replied
    I have never used Rotolab but I did use the RotoWire software and was very happy with it. I used it for both auction & snake. Their ipad software showed promise. I wouldn't use it for a high value league but bet it would be useful otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Little_Mac
    replied
    I am excited to see the new version today! (or soon)

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    It's an annual license. It's a small, niche market, no viable way to sell it once and rely on volume sales like you can with mass appeal programs. But I usually put a lot of effort into providing new features in each year and the developer (me) is available about 16/7 for questions if you get hung up.

Thanks for the kudos, Ray.

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    Originally posted by TheHeat View Post
    Is Rotolab something you buy once, then feed the HQ data (or your own) into it every year or do you have to pay for Rotolab s/w every year?
    You buy it every year. And it's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• TheHeat
    replied
    Is Rotolab something you buy once, then feed the HQ data (or your own) into it every year or do you have to pay for Rotolab s/w every year?

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    When it comes to computers.....wow, like two kids in a sandbox. She can almost feel me trying to guide her mouse with my arm gestures. Not pretty......

Leave a comment:

• Michael@HQ
    replied
    Merv, are you saying you aren't always patient replying to your wife's dumb questions? We're going to get you into more trouble.

Leave a comment:

• pate
    replied
    I wished my wife shared your sentiments! ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X