• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NICK@HQ
    replied
    Originally posted by Hapj View Post
    I may never post again.
    Don't sweat it. This is a message board and things are much more relaxed here. However anything headed for print form needs to be proofread, and this is the reason I pointed this out while there is (I hope) still time to correct it.

Leave a comment:

• JVR
    replied
    Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
    Just did that, too. Any other requests? Want to place a lunch order?
    Thx Ray.

Youda man.

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    Originally posted by JVR View Post
    Thanks Ray.

Ray -- can someone also take care of the Billy Buckner blurb that somehow migrated in Billy Butler's playerlink notes?
    Just did that, too. Any other requests? Want to place a lunch order?

Leave a comment:

• JVR
    replied
    Originally posted by RAY@HQ View Post
    I'll pass along to Deric, thanks guys.
    Thanks Ray.

Ray -- can someone also take care of the Billy Buckner blurb that somehow migrated in Billy Butler's playerlink notes?

Leave a comment:

• Hapj
    replied
    I may never post again.

Leave a comment:

• JVR
    replied
    I normally don't make an issue about errors, grammatical or otherwise but, when the sense of a sentence is altered by the use of a wrong term, I would agree that bringing up the issue in a constructive manner, as is done with this thread, is a great idea.

I imagine, however, that the above error might not have made it to print as material intended for print is almost always proof-read.

Leave a comment:

• RAY@HQ
    replied
    I'll pass along to Deric, thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• Old Tom
    replied
    I vote for "foreshadow" or "herald", but "indicate" would probably work. But I don't portend to be an expert in grammar.

Leave a comment:

• NICK@HQ
    replied
    Yes, "portend" would be a good choice. Or if you want to be clever, just drop one letter and change it to "prelude" (used as a transitive verb, not the musical noun).

Leave a comment:

• Kevin
    replied
    I vote for "portend".

Leave a comment:

• NICK@HQ
    started a topic Grammatical Error in the Organizational Reports

Grammatical Error in the Organizational Reports

I tried to send a private message to Deric but he does not have that option enabled. So I post this publicly instead.

In the minor league organizational report for Arizona (http://www.baseballhq.com/members/minors/08ari.shtml) (and maybe in other places, I don't know), talking about Max Scherzer, there is this sentence:

Struggles to change speeds and hasn’t shown much stamina which may preclude a move to relief.
    "Preclude" means "keep from happening or arising; make impossible." Since the point being made is that Scherzer's lack of stamina might make a move to relief more likely, I don't think "preclude" is the word you want. Perhaps "support a move to relief" is better, or "encourage a move to relief."

I don't much care, but if this can prevent this error (and others like it) from reaching the print material, might as well correct it now.
Working...
X